Want to watch 4K Netflix content in Windows 10? You'll need Microsoft Edge

gamer winner gaming laptop

Despite being the default browser in Windows 10, Edge really hasn’t taken off in the way that Microsoft would have hoped. According to the latest usage figures from NetMarketShare, the new browser currently has just 5.26 percent share.

In a bid to improve matters, the software giant has started using pop-up notifications to push Edge in Windows 10, and bash its "rival" Chrome on both security and battery life. But if those arguments aren't enough to persuade you to switch, maybe the lure of 4K content from Netflix being exclusive to Edge will do the trick.

SEE ALSO: Microsoft Edge is way more secure than Chrome and Firefox

Provided you have a PC or 2-in-1 device with a 4K-capable screen and a 7th Gen Intel Core Processor (plus the relevant Netflix subscription), you’ll be able to enjoy Netflix’s 4K content exclusively on Edge in Windows 10.

And, in addition to crowing about that, Microsoft would also like you to know that Edge is the perfect browser for Netflix content, because (here comes the Chrome bashing again) it will give you significantly longer battery life than Google’s browser.

"When streaming Netflix on Microsoft Edge you can get through at least one more full episode of Gilmore Girls than when streaming on Chrome on battery", Microsoft claims, before admitting in the small print that "battery life varies significantly with settings and other factors".

Photo Credits: Yuri Arcurs/Shutterstock

129 Responses to Want to watch 4K Netflix content in Windows 10? You'll need Microsoft Edge

1. BoltmanLives says:

Good more reasons to use EDGE which will soon become the best browser

• Fantasm says:

Define "soon"?
      What 12 years, 5 years... maybe never?

3 years max

• Gilfoyle says:

3 years nice safe number to hide behind.

Then again that did not work our for your Windows Phone predictions as they were pretty much DEAD WRONG.

Sorry Edge sucks and it's market share sucks as well.

• BoltmanLives says:

WP is not a dead wrong prediction mind you I said it would exceed Iphone..it will perhaps a few years longer since they retrenched after a frontal assault

• Patrician_1 says:

The butthurt is outdone only by the stupidity.

• BoltmanLives says:

What does that mean? Are you seriously saying W10M will not succeed?

• Patrician_1 says:

Yes, seriously, and gleefully.

• BoltmanLives says:

Um ok so you like being wrong? this is Microsoft no some start up...Mobile First ring a bell?

• Fantasm says:

Yeah, Mobile first sounds just like the old days when companies said "web first"...
        Then realised it wasn't working for everyone...

• Gilfoyle says:

Increase your meds the delusions are getting worse.

• BoltmanLives says:

What delusions? Are you saying W10M will NOT exceed IOS?

If so remember I'll quote you on it. Same for anybody else.

• Gilfoyle says:

Yes I am saying that Windows Phone is dead in the eyes of consumers and such.

Devices running W10M will live on to replace those that run Windows CE today in niche vertical markets. I work in retail, we have some old inventory guns that run Windows CE, but they are being replaced with Android based ones.

It will NOT exceed iOS in terms of consumer devices sold.....pretty much ever since iOS devices are well above 1 billion sold at this point and climbing.

• BoltmanLives says:

Um so you stand behind that statement you sure???

• Fantasm says:

"but they are being replaced with Android based ones."
        The same is happeing to media players. Microsoft discontinued Windows Media Center in W10.
        Now you go in most electronics stores and you find a huge selection of Android media player boxes. Cheap and they do a great job. Another lost market for Microsoft. Most of them run Kodi and can play videos up to 4K...

• tasburath says:

Give me a hard date as to when windows mobile will overtake IOS?

If you're going to dream, dream big. When is windows mobile going to overtake android?

• BoltmanLives says:

Android will be the cheap option as for W10M to overtake iPhone globally I would estimate roughly 2020-2023 as Iphone is only at 12.3% currently and most W10M sales will go versus Iphone sales,,that is assuming a Surface Phone variant by late 2017 early 2018. We'll see a permanent upswing in near term of W10M by 2nd half of next year

• Fantasm says:

W10M is too late to the game.
        At best it will be remembered after it's gone...
        There's no demand for it past a few interested people...
        There's fewer and fewer "apps" for it...
        There's no compelling reason to ever have a W10 phone.
        The only person i've ever met who has a Windows phone told me she hates it (in words that would get me banned for repeating them here) and plans to replace it...
        In my part of Canada the carriers have given up on Windows phones and don't carry them...
        As the developers realise that there's so small a users base, they are going to stop creating new apps anymore and support for older apps will cease...

• BoltmanLives says:

Things change Fantasm people like new remember that Android is 9 years old IOS is 10 years old

• Fantasm says:

" Microsoft released Microsoft Windows, a graphical extension for MS-DOS, on November 20, 1985 "
        No wonder no one likes Windows 10, it's 31 years old....! Good of you to point that out. It's about time that something new came along to replace it...

• BoltmanLives says:

Many tried many failed... as software itself improves over time ...hardware limited by ols mobile os's not so much

• Patrician_1 says:

How many years for Internet Exploder and did it ever become "great". You can't take something designed as mundane and make it great.

• BoltmanLives says:

IE started in 1995 with 2.9% and in 1997 it was already at 39.4% so roughly 3 years to dominance and it continued and topped out at 94.43% in 2003

• Patrician_1 says:

I did not put up usage as an indicator of greatness. No thinking person would. Usage is no indicator of quality. It never has been.

• BoltmanLives says:

That seems to be Apl's mantra , oh wait thats profit nevermind

• Fantasm says:

If it's not the most popular by this time next year it will go the way of Windows phone. Dead, and no longer in demand except by a few fangirls...

Wait for 3D for everyone

• Patrician_1 says:

The LAST. Microsoft has never had a good browser, so best is far and away out of the question. Microsoft has had chances,,,but they stupidly blew them. When the source for Presto Opera was up for sale, MS could have bought it, rebranded, updated, left the UI completely alone, and they would have had a winner.

• Al says:

Edge still does not render properly compared to both Chrome and Firefox. Useless app.

• Ordeith says:

Chrome and Firefox still don't support the pointer events HTML 5 standard that IE 11 and Edge both work with. What's up with that?

• Conservative411 says:

I disagree with that. We have many sites that don't work properly on Chrome and Firefox like our payroll and banking sites and some of our intranet sites. I only allow Edge on our network and haven't regretted it.

• Didier says:

Entirely happy with Edge too. I'm just missing the extensions support on Mobile. Edge is definitely a very fast browser.

2. 1DaveN says:

I'd like to know how Edge compares to the Netflix app. To me, they look the same, but I don't have a 4K screen - not sure if there's any advantage to one over the other when using a 1920x1280 screen.

• Ordeith says:

I don't know about resolution, but the App is far more couch friendly. :)

• TechFan says:

I can test this - as I want to know to. I prefer apps over webpages for such things anyway.

• Fantasm says:

I have both, a 40 inch 1080p and a 43 inch 4k side by side... literally...
      There is a big difference. Now, you won't notice much if all you do is watch low res stuff...
      The 4K screen does do it's own upscaling. That can range from barely noticeable to truly amazing and most of the time it's a decent improvement over the original...
      Then too, my 4K also does HDR and that is a big difference as well...
      The extra room for multiple Windows on 4K is really good as well...
      The one thing I was not prepared for, but was truly pleased with, is the fantastic improvement in editing and displaying photgraphs on a 4K screen. Sliding a pic back and forth, from screen to screen really demonstrates the huge improvement. Both in clarity and in colour quality.
      This of course shouldn't be surprising once you remember that 1920 x 1080p is roughly the equivalent of a 2MP photo.

3. Fantasm says:

Umm I use Chrome to watch 4K video in Windows 7...so I would assume that it works fine in W10 also....
    I've also noticed that IE 11 doesn't support 4K in Windows 7 either. I think this is probably a deliberate limitation of IE 11 so people will use Edge.

4. 1DaveN says:

Apparently in addition to using Edge, you need a Kaby Lake processor.

• PC_Tool says:

"Provided you have a PC or 2-in-1 device with a 4K-capable screen and a 7th Gen Intel Core Processor"

Not sure if added after your post, but 7th gen would be Kaby...

Edge/Kaby...both requirements are crap.

• 1DaveN says:

That was probably there and I missed it. From the Verge article, it seems like a licensing issue with content providers. I've always thought the Edge issue was that other browsers weren't 4K capable, but I never paid that much attention.

5. BoltmanLives says:

Has Edge and guess what Iphone does not have Edge neither does 7

Edge is the best..the future

6. BinBinWins says:

Oh the horror! I have to SETTLE for 720p/1080p... whatever will I do! Edge is crapola, I would use IE11 anyday over it.

7. BinBinWins says:

Linux is the future, desktop Linux.Not that Zorin OS junk, not Ubuntu... These are the squeals of a dying pig at Microsoft.Their OS is a disaster, their Gaming Machine is losing (and has been since the beginning) the battle against Sony.Cloud, AI, Augmented Reality, it's all a fad, people don't want it.There is a future in this tech world that we all love, but it does not include Microsoft.This is their final chapter... the end of Windows.They won't survive.They are barely surviving as it is, even with the popularity of Windows 7.The jig is up.

• Conservative411 says:

I have heard "Linux is the future" for the past 15 years. It has barely gained any ground. It is ok for some but not ok for most. Linux has 2% marketshare and they are the future. Windows has 90% market share and they are dying. Each OS is good or better than the other at something but Linux is really only better at price.

• BinBinWins says:

I am well aware of their respective marketshare, I am also well aware of the technological landscape.You are one of the few whose opinions are blinded by false hope.

• Conservative411 says:

I couldn't care less who the best is. I have nothing to gain or lose by supporting one or the other. I actually have some Linux systems in our environment. They are not workstations because they cant run the software we need to run but they do some other important functions of our business. I use what is right for each application.

• Azmodan says:

Alas, you are right, Linux will never ever be the OS of choice for the masses. I like it it but it will always be portraying itself as the "next big thing" and never achieve more than curiosity status.

• Conservative411 says:

Yeah I have no problem with Linux but if it weren't free it would have less than 1% market share.

• BinBinWins says:

Speaking of Windows 10...

• Conservative411 says:

Yes that is true. Windows 10 wouldn't have gained 400million users as fast as it did if it weren't free but it would eventually (within 5 years) be the standard and get there anyway by default.

• BinBinWins says:

They said the same of Windows 8.

• Conservative411 says:

I would have never said that of Windows 8. I never had plans to upgrade our company to it. Businesses traditionally skip Windows versions. Windows 8 was very confusing for people to understand with its mixed metro/desktop modes "am I on the desktop or an App? Why do I have two browsers? Why cant I do all that I can on the Internet explorer app that I can do on the desktop internet explorer?". It wasn't good although I used it on my production system. Windows 10 is light years better than 8 was.

• BinBinWins says:

Only just with the release of the AU.Even as of 1511 it was still below W8.

• BinBinWins says:

In the last 17 years Microsoft has had two massive successes, TWO.

• Ordeith says:

Are you trying to be Boltman's "Mirror Mirror" twin?

• RejZoR says:

Every year is "Next year Linux will overtake Windows"... 15 years have passed and everything is exactly the same as it was back then.

• BinBinWins says:

15 Years ago Windows was #1.People willingly paid for it and left the store smiling.I assure you things are VERY different.

• RejZoR says:

No they aren't. Linux is still this mess with 30 billion distributions for which nothing ever works as it should, you need to be rocket scientist to install anything outside integrated repository and 90% of the time you spend in god damn terminal. Because that's the only way to efficiently achieve anything because interfaces are absolute disaster in all of them. Only thing Linux is good for are Live distributions when you have to service a Window system offline or to fiddle with partitions and stuff. But as native OS, after all these years, I'm still not convinced. And since I'm a gamer, anything Linux based simply isn't an option.

• BinBinWins says:

Ok I can tell it's been some time since you've used Linux.Your compaints sound really 2011-2012ish.Things have improved dramatically.If you're a gamer then you're a gamer.Linux offers many games & steam support.Many people, MANY people are not gamers and Linux suits their needs quite adequately.

• RejZoR says:

It's 2016-ish, 1 month ago. Not all my systems are for gaming and I couldn't stand how rubbish and clumsy Linux was even on those. No matter how stupid Windows 10 is, using it is absolute poetry.

• Gideon Waxfarb says:

Dude, give it up. 'The year of Linux on the desktop' was a joke 10 years ago, is a joke today, and will be a joke 10 years from now. Outside of some bastardize version like ChromeOS, it's never going to happen.

• BinBinWins says:

"It's never going to happen" should be the mantra for the success of Windows 10.

• Gideon Waxfarb says:

I actually don't disagree with you on that point.

• BinBinWins says:

We found common ground! yay for us!

• Pecan says:

25 years ^^

8. Bob Bradley says:

That settles it. No Netflix

9. infekt_me says:

Not sure how this is news. When Edge was the first browser to get full HD support a year ago so it would stand to reason that when 4k was made available to PC users that this would be the same effect.

As far as I am aware Edge is the only browser that supports HEVC, H.265 which is required for 4K streaming on Netflix...

10. Fantasm says:

It's not really that big of a deal anyway.
    Realistically, virtually every 4K has a built in Netflix 4K app.
    Anything smaller than about 32inches, you won't see much, if any difference in quality between 4K and 1080p...
    Certainly no reason to run out and install w10 or use Edge over....

• barely_normal says:

NOBODY watches Netflix that much, to have to use Windows Last and ruin the computing experience every day.

• Joseph Turgeon says:

Windows rules grampaw! take your geritol. Oh and congrats to our new president!

• barely_normal says:

Looks like you need to study some more, learn to spell, and take a class in decorum, as your progenitors obviously did not teach you well.
        I hope you have a mouse in your pocket, allowing use of "we", and Trump is not president until January 20. He is not really president-elect until December 19...and much can happen between now and then.

• Joseph Turgeon says:

Secret Service will protect him. nothing bad will happen

• BinBinWins says:

Lol, you are so weird it's cringe worthy.

• Pecan says:

Hoorah! Here's the agist, racist, anti-free speech, anti-democracy millenial 'phone user. Hey 'kid', you got a 4k screen on that toy? This is a conversation for proper computers.
        Oh, and congrats on being in the minority again (election, as well as phone OS).

• Ordeith says:

Richard Saunders is the immature millennial. Joseph is a fair bit younger.

• Joseph Turgeon says:

I'm not racist, pops.

• Joseph Turgeon says:

oh, and at your age, I doubt you can see the difference between 1080p and 4k.

• torch4x4 says:

Thousands of people are watching Netflix on their computers and they are doing it wrong, watching on small screens is really bad when is possible with a streaming player or smart tvs, but they choose the worst option to watch and the low bit rate and low resolutions with Chrome and Firefox... they cannot change if their options are bad from the beginning

• BinBinWins says:

That makes no sense.I have two 50+ inch HD TV's that aren't smart.... and I have computers connected to both.

• Fantasm says:

Well, if you don't have a smart TV, for about $100 you can buy an Android box. Essentially an addon "Smart" for your TV.
        Then Netflix, and most if not all of the other services are available without difficulty. They also run Kodi and are especially good with a home NAS setup as well.
        A lot easier to use than W10, and as a bonus uses far less electricity than running the computer to watch movies or Netflix.

• BinBinWins says:

Yea but I already run Netflix with my current connection @ 1080p so why bother? lol.4k is a bandwidth hog anyways.

• torch4x4 says:

HTPC is from the past, you can get a roku, fire or android player, if you have a computer for your big TV you must use IE or Edge for Netflix

• BinBinWins says:

From the past but works like a charm with absolutely no need to fork out a large sum of cash for a dumb TV.I don't want internet on my TV, I want it to be a TV.I won't lie I do still use IE11 even for Netflix but I have absolutely no problem enjoying the experience on Chrome.

• Pecan says:

Another reason not to get netflix then (as if bandwidth and subscription costs weren't enough anyway).

• torch4x4 says:

Depends on what you want to watch, some Netflix originals are good rated series (house of cards, narcos, etc.), also the quality of the service is better than other streaming services

• Pecan says:

However, other streaming services have exactly the same drawbacks (bandwidth and subscription costs). Ignore me here, I'm not really making a serious point. TV/films aren't where I choose to spend my entertainment funds, if they were then I'm sure netflix would be interesting.

• Fantasm says:

Yeah, there's a lot of truth to the bandwidth issue... I don't think too many are going to be running 4K over WiFi either....
        4K though is very nice for larger screens...

• BinBinWins says:

It sure is, but a 4kplayer similar to Blu-Ray's and DVD's before it is an absolute must.Nobody in their right mind is going to watch 3 movies and blow the cap off their monthly limit lol.Even 1080p is a hog sometimes.

• Fantasm says:

Well, I'm lucky that way. Unlimited Internet...

11. BinBinWins says:

And I wish Microsoft would stop calling Computers PC's!! it's so annoying, they literally go out of their way to use the word PC and avoid the word Computer.

• Captain555 says:

I'm not getting that one. PC stand for Personal Computer. It meant a computer for the need of one person.

• BinBinWins says:

I know what it stands for, but what Microsoft is doing is lame af.They 1) want to sound more cool and modern 2) want to do away with anything "legacy sounding" so Desktops are phased out in favor of Tablets.

• Pecan says:

Perhaps they're just making the point that desktops and laptops, 'PCs' as they would say are, well, computers. Their phones, tablets and no-use-either-way toys aren't. (The point of this article is, "Win 10 is great for toys and can make your computer look like a toy too! Here, don't worry about work, watch a film.", isn't it?)

• BinBinWins says:

The way I see it (obviously my own opinion) is they want people to think they are just bridging the gap between tablets & laptops, but I really do believe this is all 1 big scheme to phase out the Desktop along with every OS that was designed for it.

• Pecan says:

Microsoft aren't interested in the desktop - or laptop - market any more, that's for sure. It's partly why metro/UWP and WIn 8/8.1/10 aren't designed for desktops. Apple are still interested (but exclusive), Google are interested (but incapable), Linux is still interested (but confused).
        For decades the desktop has been a virtual MS monopoly, so the others aren't ready to move in now MS has decided to move out.
        Meanwhile, all the fashionable people are staring at phones and other mobile devices. Only boring people with jobs (and weird gamers) have laptops, let alone desktops. The money's in small-scale, low-cost, high-return cr'app's and the hardware to run them.
        If you want to do anything serious with your computer, MS isn't interested.

• BinBinWins says:

Very well put, +1 to you.

• Pecan says:

:-) Well, I'm only agreeing with you

• BinBinWins says:

Yea but your response stole the show.You described the world we live in perfectly.Is the Desktop dead? no.But in the eyes of Microsoft it is.

• Pecan says:

Especially that they are working very hard to kill it, so we all buy their new toys instead. No-one else is working so hard to make desktops unattractive/unusable. Thing is, you just can't read a long report on a tiny screen and you can't write one without a proper keyboard. That isn't going to change so business, and other serious users, will still need desktops and laptops. There will always be a market there and someone will pick it up, even if not as well as MS left it with 7.

• Ordeith says:

If you want to do anything serious with your computer, MS isn't interested.

That doesn't explain things like the Linux subsystem for Windows, or Visual Studio, or Windows remote Arduino, or a whole host of other capabilities that enable people to do and accomplish serious things with their computer.

• Pecan says:

Good point, well made. I left that comment thinking "what about all the enterprise services" and wondered who would call me out on it :-)
        I should have said, specifically; if you want to do anything serious with your computer, Microsoft isn't interested in making an OS for you any more.

• Ordeith says:

All of those things run in Microsoft's OS, so I don't follow your logic.

• Pecan says:

Sorry for the delay - I'm having 7 conversations at once.
        Simply - an OS is not just about what it enables, otherwise CLI would work for everyone.
        Briefly; the strategy, UI, telemetry, forced bloat and updates are not suitable for a serious-use computer. I won't expand because you've heard it all before but it only makes sense (and I'm sure Microsoft isn't being stupid) if they aren't interested in the market any more. (If you want I will expand on how I think that makes sense for MS but it takes as the starting-point that Win 8/8.1/10 metro/UWP just aren't intended for serious work).

• Ordeith says:

That's strange, because I have been able to get more serious work done more quickly since I installed Windows 10 on my primary workstation. None of those other options get in the way of getting serious work done (unless you have ADD, the notification center could be a problem in that case.)

12. Gideon Waxfarb says:

Hey, Microsoft, remember IE6? Well, we do, and you will NEVER be forgiven for that abomination. So you can take your Edge browser and stick it up your ass.

• Ordeith says:

I guess you don't, really. IE6 was at the top of the game when it was released. What MS did wrong was let it sit and languish for so long.

• Gideon Waxfarb says:

'What MS did wrong was let it sit and languish for so long.'

That for sure, plus all the websites at the time that had components which only worked with Internet Explorer. They basically tried to turn the web into Windows. For that, their browsers are on my permanent shitlist. And the deceptive crap they've been pulling, trying to shove Windows 10 down everyone's throats, proves to me that they're still not to be trusted.

• Ordeith says:

With IE6 they supported the published standards of the time, it was actually the most standards compliant browser available on release. MS saw a need for browser capabilities beyond what was generally available and they had to invent the means to accomplish that. MS submitted their enhancements to the burgeoning standards bodies at the time, expecting them to be accepted and life moves on, but a number of political moves by Sun (and a not-yet-at-Google Eric Schmidt) sabotaged Microsoft's efforts and forked the standards.

The more you know.

• pekinight says:

I bet you are using Google Chrome. lol

• Pecan says:

Agreed. IE, and maybe Firefox, were way ahead of anything else for a long time.

13. Pecan says:

Netflix - check.
    4k TV/screen - check.
    Gilmore girls - check.
    Windows 10 - wait ... check.
    Edge - check.
    Battery - check.

Yep, I'm good to go. None of those things apply whatsoever.
    I do use netmarketshare though. That works out as roughly a quarter of Win 10 users, who are a fifth of computer users. actually use Edge. That's more than I expected (lol, and more than Safari has). Boltman, come and tell me how MS's consistently-failing-for-6-years strategy is ruling the world again.

14. pekinight says:

HEVC will not last. AOMedia Video 1 coming soon. They finally understood that is better to work together to further research and move forward.