Apple releases macOS Monterey 12.1 with SharePlay and charging fix
Apple has released an update for macOS Monterey, taking the operating system up to version 12.1. This is the first major update for Monterey since its release earlier this year, and in addition to various bug fixes, it also sees the arrival of SharePlay.
For anyone who has experienced issues with charging their MacBook Pro, there is a fix for an issue that was preventing charging when the lid is shut. There are also updates for the TV and Photos apps, new security features and more, but it is SharePlay that is the real highlight here. Sadly, this release does not add Universal Control support.
- Microsoft's recently released KB5007262 update may fix SSD performance issues in Windows 11
- Security firm releases a free fix for serious Log4Shell vulnerability in Apache Log4j
- New GitHub Code Search technology preview is great for developers
Returning to what is included, SharePlay introduces a new way to share music, video and more over FaceTime for a "shared experienced". In practice this means friends and family will be able to connect and watch or listen to the same content simultaneously.
Apple says of the newly added sharing feature:
macOS Monterey 12.1 adds SharePlay, an entirely new way to have shared experiences with family and friends in FaceTime. This update also includes the Apple Music Voice Plan, new safety features for children and parents in Messages, redesigned Memories in Photos, and other features and bug fixes for your Mac.
As ever, you can grab the latest update for macOS via System Preference or by clicking About this Mac in the Apple menu.
Here are the full release notes for macOS Monterey 12.1:
- SharePlay is a new way to share synchronized experiences in FaceTime with content from the Apple TV app, Apple
Music, and other supported apps
- Shared controls give everyone the ability to pause, play, rewind or fast forward
- Smart volume automatically lowers the audio of a movie, TV show or song when you or your friends speak
- Screen sharing lets everyone on a FaceTime call look at photos, browse the web, or help each other out
Apple Music Voice Plan
- Apple Music Voice Plan is a new subscription tier that gives you access to all songs, playlists, and stations in Apple Music using Siri
- Just Ask Siri suggests music based on your listening history and likes or dislikes
- Play it Again lets you access a list of your recently played music
- Memories has been redesigned with a new interactive interface, new animation and transition styles, and multiple image collages
- New Memory types include additional international holidays, child-focused memories, trends over time, and improved pet memories
- Communication safety setting gives parents the ability to enable warnings for children when they receive or send photos that contain nudity
- Safety warnings contain helpful resources for children when they receive photos that contain nudity
Siri and Search
- Expanded guidance in Siri, Spotlight and Safari Search to help children and parents stay safe online and get help with unsafe situations
- Digital Legacy allows you to designate people as Legacy Contacts so they can access your iCloud account and personal information in the event of your death
- Store tab lets you browse, buy, and rent movies and TV Shows all in one place
This release also includes the following enhancements for your Mac:
- Hide My Email is available in the Mail app for iCloud+ subscribers to create unique, random email addresses
- Stocks allows you to view the currency for a ticker and see year-to-date performance when viewing charts
- Reminders and Notes now allow you to delete or rename tags
This release also includes bug fixes for your Mac:
- Desktop and Screen Saver may appear blank after selecting photos from the Photos library
- Trackpad could become unresponsive to taps or clicks
- External displays may not charge some MacBook Pro and MacBook Air computers when connected using Thunderbolt or USB-C
- HDR video playback on YouTube.com could cause 2021 MacBook Pro computers to panic
- Menu bar extras may be obscured by the camera housing on 2021 MacBook Pro computers
- MagSafe may stop charging on 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro computers when lid is closed and system is shut down