T-Mobile: No, we did not say our security was breached
After an amended statement to the press yesterday regarding an apparent security incident, which appeared to confirm that an unauthorized entity had taken possession of its valuable customer information, T-Mobile now says in a statement to Betanews this afternoon that not only does the entity not possess customer information, but that no breach of security took place at all.
"Following a recent online posting that someone allegedly accessed T-Mobile servers, the company is conducting a thorough investigation and at this time has found no evidence that customer information, or other company information, has been compromised," the T-Mobile spokesperson told Betanews. "Reports to the contrary are inaccurate and should be corrected. T-Mobile continues to monitor this situation and as a precaution has taken additional measures to further ensure our customers' information and our systems are protected. As is our standard practice, customers can be assured if there is any evidence that customer or system information has been compromised, we would inform those affected as quickly as possible."
The spokesperson later went on to confirm that some type of document had been obtained, but that it was only a document -- singular, not plural -- providing no evidence that any more such documents are in the unauthorized entity's possession.
Information obtained by Betanews Monday evening indicated that unpatched and non-updated servers could be behind any security breach that may have occurred, assuming that it did. But T-Mobile's statement today characterizes the incident as a possible act of dumpster diving, perhaps not even involving computers whatsoever.