Samsung reveals two new Galaxy Tab fondleslabs running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean

South Korean manufacturer Samsung unveiled, on Monday, two new tablets as part of its Galaxy Tab 3 lineup. The fondleslabs, available in 8-inch and 10.1-inch display trim, run Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and feature mid-range to low-end hardware specifications.

Despite touting them as offering  an "exceptional reading and entertainment experience", both the 8-inch and the 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 3 tablets come with TFT displays sporting a resolution of 1280 by 800 (the ppi -- pixels per inch -- density is 189 and 149, respectively). That's on par with other 8-inch devices like the Galaxy Note 8.0 but significantly behind 10.1-inchers like the Google Nexus 10 (2560 by 1600 resolution and 300 ppi).

The 8-inch Galaxy Tab 3 is powered by a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor backed by 1.5 GB of RAM and a 4,450 mAh battery. A 5 MP camera capable of 1080p video recording is available on the back, while on the front the tablet sports a 1.3 MP shooter that can record 720p video.

The 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 3 features a 1.6 GHz dual-core processor alongside 1 GB of RAM and a 6,800 mAh battery. The tablet ships with a 3 MP back-facing camera capable of 1080p video recording and a 1.3 MP front-facing shooter that can record 720p video.

The two tablets also come with: 16 GB or 32 GB of internal storage; microSD card slot; HSPA+ and 4G LTE cellular connectivity; Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n; Bluetooth 4.0; USB 2.0; GPS with Glonass support and the usual array of sensors.

The 8-inch model comes in at 209.8 x 123.8 x 7.4 mm and 314 grams (in the Wi-Fi trim) while the larger 10.1-inch version measures 243.1 x 176.1 x 7.95 mm and weighs 510 grams (again, in the Wi-Fi trim).

In the software department, alongside the second Jelly Bean iteration both tablets feature the usual suite of Samsung-branded apps including ChatON (messaging service), Hub, S Travel and S Translator among others.

There are no details concerning pricing or availability yet.

9 Responses to Samsung reveals two new Galaxy Tab fondleslabs running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean

1. guru_v says:

" fondleslabs"? Really? And someone is supposed to take the writing seriously?

• PhoenixPath says:

^This.

• Mihaita Bamburic says:

You do know that it's a synonym, don't you?

• PhoenixPath says:

Why yes; Yes I do. Do you know what else it is?

It's "cutsey" absurd slang one would not expect to find in use by anyone wishing to be taken seriously.

My 11 year-old daughter would probably appreciate it, if that's any consolation. Is BN perhaps trying their hand at targeting a different audience?

• Mihaita Bamburic says:

We welcome readers of all ages, and don't target a specific age group.

As for the "cutsey" part, I think that boils down to one's personal preference.

I can only imagine the level of feedback you provide on other websites. But I tend to believe this criticism is BetaNews-exclusive.

As one commenter once pointed out, some folks here like to criticize and don't bring any value to the table. I wonder if that has anything to do with our policy to allow almost every comment.

Have you ever asked yourselves if the quality of what you write here drives other commenters away? Food for thought.

• PhoenixPath says:

"I think that boils down to one's personal preference."

As always; however you should be able to judge your audience's preferences (and judging by the comments and "votes"...well, think about it.)

"I can only imagine the level of feedback you provide on other websites."

Simple enough: Disqus provides the means via profiles. Have at it.

"some folks here like to criticize and don't bring any value to the table."

If that's your opinion, you are welcome to it. I call it as I see it. I comment on crap just as I comment on that which I find informative and that which I can add to. I suppose I could simply ignore the "crap", but where would the fun be in that?

Food for thought? You responded to me...not the OP. If my criticism is of so little value, why respond to me rather than the OP?

"Have you ever asked yourselves if the quality of what you write here drives other commenters away?"

Oh, there are several posters I would hope could be driven away. Sadly, The Faithful do tend to persevere in the face of ridicule.

This is a question you should honestly be asking yourself as well, all things being equal.

• Mihaita Bamburic says:

If you have a problem with a specific word, that's fine with me. Except when you call stuff "crap". I doubt you do that when you disagree with what your kid says or what your wife/girlfriend says.

I expect more of readers. Likely I shouldn't.

PS: don't take it personal, not the case. Addressed to everyone.

• PhoenixPath says:

"From my experience votes are not representative of what most of the readers think. So I take them with a grain of salt."

As it should be, but when the only comments and only votes all lead to the same conclusion...?

"I doubt you do that when you disagree with what your kid says or what your wife/girlfriend says."

Heh... you have no idea. ;-) The conversations around the dinner table after the younger two have gone to bed (especially if friends are over) can get extremely ... interesting. We discuss almost anything and have no compunction calling each-other out on our BS...and we have a blast doing it. Really...who needs TV?

Offense is something one chooses to take on for themselves, by themselves; It is never given. "Crap", is a perfect example.

"don't take it personal"

A word is a word, for better or worse; It is simply my opinion that "fondleslabs"...is for the worse. :)

• Mihaita Bamburic says:

Understood. I appreciate taking the time to respond and your feedback is duly noted.