Panda Security identified itself as malware, quarantined its own files

Angry PC user

Security software can be inherently dangerous. That appears to be a statement that doesn't seem to make sense, but it does none-the-less. We've seen it time and again, as well-meaning tools cause chaos with computers. The problems over the years have run the gamut from endless reboots to dead systems to files "accidentally" removed. The software has the best interest of the user in mind, but sometimes it goes too far, treading beyond the line of safety.

Such is the case in this latest incident which affected customers of the popular anti-virus program, Panda Security. It is not the first, nor likely the last, to cause these issues. By it's very nature, the programs search for files identified as malicious. The problem arises from the definitions it installs with each update. These are designed to search for malware, but can also appear as the culprit for which they are looking for.

That's what has just happened with Panda Security. The woes of customers were quickly fixed, but no doubt resulted in some pain during the process.

Panda Security's Marta Lopez reports "We inform you that we have had an incident with our signature file that might have affected our Panda Cloud Office Protection and Retail 2015 customers. This issue causes some files to be moved to the quarantine".

The company quickly replaced that signature file and has now pushed out a solution to restore the quarantined files. In an update to the original announcement of this incident the company amends "The solution which restores the quarantined files has been automatically deployed in all the affected products. We are working on a tool to be installed on those computers which require a manual installation of the solution. We will update the information as soon as it is ready".

A good anti-virus tool is always useful, and the potential for problems is fairly low, so it's recommended for most users. Just be careful of the one you choose -- you can't predict the problems, but some do slow down a system. As for Panda, there's an official advisory posted.

Photo Credit: Djomas/Shutterstock

10 Responses to Panda Security identified itself as malware, quarantined its own files

1. M S i N Lund says:

snake_with_head-up_its_own_ass.gif

2. Hall9000 says:

Last time I had a similar problem was when Avast declared Windows XP a virus, to which I had mixed feelings. LOL

• nvic says:

I remember mcafee enterprise doing this as well on XP. It decided svchost.exe was malware...

I learned that week that Windows XP actually boots and runs without svchost.exe, its just not very functional without it because the Remote Procedure Call service and lanman services don't run, and most of the OS needs one or both.

3. Best says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXWZSW2PTQ You are network marketer right?. So i wanted to inform you about the new social media, "TSU". Check the Fox Business news and tell me about it message me back and join: https://www.tsu.co/BestOfBest

4. Burl House says:

Never tried Panda. Didn't think it was very widely used, certainly never seemed to rate within the top antivirus apps. Been around forever it seems.

5. GooneyGooGoo says:

That's pretty damn funny.

bit.ly/IC4m9t

6. Amy Washburn says:

What's even funnier is what the goof really does. It doesn't just recognize some Panda files as 'viruses' - it recognizes any Microsoft operating system file as a 'virus', too. So, once you reboot, and the update is initialized -oops, your OS is toast.

7. pandasecurity says:

If you have update issue Please check the below link:
    Regards,
    Panda Support

8. Steve says:

I've been putting out fires all week thanks to the pot smokers at Panda who pulled the trigger on this one. I haven't run an AV on my own systems for ages (with the exception of Windows Defender) but I don't recommend going naked for those who aren't "web wise".

So... now I'm very hesitant about recommending Panda Free. What is a free AV I can recommend that is light-weight, won't mess up file sharing, has zero errors and doesn't ask end users questions that they aren't equipped to answer?

9. J North says:

This is an incorrect (SYOA) statement by Panda. Here is the truth. Panda released a faulty dat file that ripped out Microsoft DLL's and if a PC or server was rebooted, it wouldn't let you into the OS... DOWN!! I called all day to Panda and they SHUT down their call center for two days... Yes, two days... the "new dat file was released at 5:10pm that day. 12 hours from when the bad .dat was released... at that point... ALL the computers/servers in that time frame were hosed. That being said, they told everyone that they would have to be down until the patch was released 12 hours later... FAST? no way... .dat files should be released every 4 hours. All other AV companies do that. These are the facts... not sugar coated.. I am still dealing with the fallout of this "Mistake" by Panda. I since then removed them from over 275 PC's and servers and going with another product (Webroot) more polished product! I called up Panda and they will not give me any $$ back on my initial investment. So now I have 270 Lic. of Panda for three years that I will never use again... WAY TO GO PANDA!! thanks for screwing me!! I knew I should have gone with a cheaper product. Ya pay for what you get!!