Did you pull a boner and buy a Windows RT Surface? Microsoft offers redemption

bonerman

Believe it or not, I loved Windows RT; hell, I still do. My Surface 2 still gets a good amount of use for gaming and web surfing. Unfortunately, the limited nature of the operating system (a positive from a security standpoint) was a turn-off to consumers, and rightfully so; Windows that can't run legacy programs? Doomed from the start.

While Microsoft has promised to deliver some Windows 10 functionality to Windows RT, the full OS will not be delivered. In other words, for the most part, RT-based machines are obsolete. If you pulled a boner and bought one, I feel your pain; however, Microsoft will pay you cash for that mistake as long as you put it towards the all-new Surface 3 (running real Windows).

Microsoft explains the four-part process.

1.) Visit our site to determine your trade-in value

2.) Send us your old Surface and accessories

3.) We'll send you an email with a promo code

4.) Use the promo code at checkout to get your discount

If you are interested in taking advantage of the promo, you can do so here.

Capture

I decided to see what I could get for my Wi-Fi Surface 2 32GB. I was surprised to get a reasonable offer of $150.00. I can even keep my type cover to use on the Surface 3. This means I could get the new base model Surface for only $349. Very tempting...

Will you take up Microsoft on the offer? Tell me in the comments.

Photo Credit: Kues/Shutterstock

26 Responses to Did you pull a boner and buy a Windows RT Surface? Microsoft offers redemption

1. Anne Peltier says:

We have three amongst our family, but why would we trade them in when they do everything we need? If one quits, we would consider the Surface 3 as the size and productivity is close to ideal for us.

2. Charles - The Great and Powerf says:

Windows RT is the most successful OS on the planet for secure use and productivity. Had the Surface RT for 3 years and it still runs as good as the Surface 2 I have just can't Miracast with it which is why I purchased the Surface 2. I can create Office documents without any issue and print wirelessly to my wifi printer and that works seamlessly. There's barely any configuration. Click add printer, scans, accept, done. And it had Office and Halo before any other platform. I think the iOS finally caught up on that front. Glad for you guys. I wouldn't switch to Android or iOS because they always get apps last. If I wanted half a million 5 year old apps, maybe I would switch, but come on, that doesn't make sense. The app gap is in favor of Microsoft not against. Security and it just works was embedded in Windows RT. I will miss it. But Windows 8.1(x86) (or any Windows for that matter) is still more secure than iOS or Linux (Android). So I think it will work out fine.

• Richard Saunders says:

It's only secure by virtue of the fact that they threw the baby out with the bath water.

How can the baby ever get dirty again if you just discard the whole thing? Brilliant!

• Boltmanisnuts says:

"I wouldn't switch to Android or iOS because they always get apps last."

What are you smoking?

There were probably more Android and iOS apps submitted this morning than there are all RT apps combined. Heck maybe in all Windows stores combined.

RT is secure, because NO ONE uses it.

• TheCyberKnight says:

You probably need to refresh you attack vectors knowledge.

• barely_normal says:

And perhaps you, your spelling and grammar.

• TheCyberKnight says:

Wow. If commenting a typo is the only thing you have to reply, it actually gives some indication to the actual value of your post.
        Have a nice day.

• Boltmanisnuts says:

Less than 1% of 1% of the worlds population (if that even) uses a RT device.

In fact more people probably use then as coasters for their drinks than they do computing devices.

3. dondtus says:

I would not call it "pulling a boner" for purchasing the RT version of The Surface. The product is very capable of being an inexpensive tablet usable in a non-enterprise setting. It is truly unfortunate that Microsoft could not overcome the negative blogosphere about this and make it work. Also, I feel like they are making this trade-in program such a short period of time it is not workable for people who use it for school, since they might need it into June. If they could extend the trade-in time until maybe August 31, then people could have time to get the unit traded in, evaluated, and then their credit used without interrupting their use of the unit too significantly.

• Richard Saunders says:

"It is truly unfortunate that Microsoft could not overcome the negative blogosphere about this and make it work."

Sure they could overcome it. All they have to do is release windows 10 for it. Windows 10 is Jesus, it fixes anything, it's perfect. Just ask boltman.

• TheCyberKnight says:

Blind faith is dangerous.
        Windows 10 is shaping better with every release but it's far from being a savior.
        And there is no reason why the blogosphere would spare it when released. The same scenario will happen again with the usual whining - does not sell as fast as , PC industry is collapsing and so on...

4. Boltmanisnuts says:

"While Microsoft has promised to deliver some Windows 10 functionality to Windows RT"

Like Windows Phone 7.8 was for those "boners" that bought a Windows Phone 7.x phone that was never upgradable.

Microsoft the hits just keep coming! Play for Sure! Kin for the Win!!!!

• m97402 says:

Don't forget Windows Mobile 6.5! Released and sold even after Microshaft acknowledged it had no future whatsoever. I guess they felt they need to sell it to us because they worked so hard on it and all...

5. barely_normal says:

If the author paid, as most did, $500 for the device, and is only getting $150 in return, that doesn't sound like a reasonable offer to me. It sounds predatory, kind of the same thing GameStop does with game consoles.

If this were my device, I would either accept the fact I screwed up and keep it [but in fact, I would not have, as I knew at the outset that this was going to be a short-lived series of devices] or sell the device myself, because these things are selling for more than $150 on various places as refurbs of unknown provenance.

I think I might just keep the device, having learned a lesson, and use it as a tool to show how, in the future, looking carefully comes before leaping. [It may become a desired piece of kitsch someday...]

• Richard Saunders says:

^ kind of like an Apple Newton.

• TroyGates says:

That's not bad considering if you traded in an iPad that was over 2 years old to Apple you get about the same price.

• Richard Saunders says:

Except the old iPad is still getting OS updates, and in all respects is still relevant.

I've had the same iPad 2 for 3 years now...still getting updated.

• mshulman says:

So the iPad should be worth more, yet Apple gives the same amount. Seems like a fair amount.

• mshulman says:

If you can sell it for more, then that's good. If you don't want to deal with the hassle though, getting money for a device you might not be using now or in the future is better than nothing.

• CymraegWelsh says:

It is 150$ more than I would offer, even for a new one...

6. Conservative411 says:

I LOVE my surface RT. Does everything I need and has a full version of office. No complaints. In another year it will be 4 years old. Not bad at all.

7. Jeff says:

My original Surface RT only gets $100, regardless of memory capacity or whether I include the touch and type keyboards with it.

8. dypsis says:

I get the following message with the link posted above.

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

9. TomL_12953 says:

I've pulled many boners in my time (no obvious jokes, please!) but buying RT wasn't one of them. It does what it's supposed to do very well. I'll keep it and pass it on to a junior employee and just buy a Surface 3 for myself rather than trade it in to get a few bucks for it.

10. GerryBevers says:

I bought my Surface RT a couple of years back for $200 during a Black Friday sale and felt I got the deal of the century. I love it, but I am getting ready to give it to my 16-year-old son because I just pulled another boner and bought a refurbished Surface 2 on Ebay for $218, knowing full well that Microsoft is discontinuing it. I received it today and it is just like new.

I just could not convince myself to pay $400 or $500 for a Surface 3 when a Surface 2 has everything I need, including a free copy of Office 2013. I bought the Surface 2 for the higher resolution, but I also bought it because I wanted to give my son my RT so that he would have his own copy of Office. He already has an iPad.

I think one of the reasons Microsoft is trying to buy back Surface RTs & 2s is that they realized too late that they made the tablets to last too long. That means that as long as my Surface lasts, I will not be buying a subscription for Office 365. A Surface 3 owner will get a free 1-year subscription to Office 365, but after that he or she has to pay, from what I understand. Therefore, if my Surface 2 lasts for four years, it will have paid for itself.

11. Travis says:

I actually like Windows RT and it wouldn't bother me if I were to get one, myself. Given that support ends when Windows 8.1's ends at 1/10/2023, I don't see that as a huge issue. Honestly, that's a good timeline for having one, and getting one, even today isn't "pulling a boner" when buying such a device.