Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the compatible Antivirus products you need

10shield

On the eve of the Windows 10 launch, the excitement is starting to build. Many consumers are preparing for the upgrade. After all, for Windows 7 and 8 users, this will be a free affair.

For the most part, unless you are using something very obscure, most of your existing programs should work fine. Antivirus and security solutions, however, are not all certified yet. Installing security software that is not yet tested with the new operating system could prove disastrous. Don't worry, AV-Comparatives has done the work for you and releases a list of "approved" security software. Is yours on the list?

• Avast Free Antivirus 10.3.2223
  • AVG Internet Security 2015.0.6110
  • Avira Antivirus Pro 15.0.11.579
  • Bitdefender Internet Security 18.23.0.1604
  • BullGuard Internet Security 15.1.307
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware 10.0.0.5561
  • ESET Smart Security 8.0.319.0
  • Fortinet FortiClient 5.2.3.0633
  • F-Secure Internet Security 15.3
  • Kaspersky Internet Security 16.0.0.614
  • Panda Free Antivirus 15.01.00.0006
  • Quick Heal Total Security 16.00 (9.0.0.46)
  • Sophos Enpoint Security and Control 10.3.12.312
  • Tencent PC Manager 10.11.25856.501
  • ThreatTrack VIPRE Internet Security 8.2.1.16
  • Trend Micro Internet Security 10.0.1150

"We tested the security solutions participating in our public main-tests for compatibility with Windows 10. The test checked whether the programs’ essential functions work the same way on Windows 10 as they do on Windows 8.1. For users who plan to install Windows 10 by upgrading an existing Windows 7 or 8.1 system, we recommended uninstalling the existing security program before updating, and then installing the latest version of the program when the upgrade is complete", says AV-Comparatives.

The organization explains, "the test system was a Lenovo ThinkPad Twist with an Intel Core i3-3217U processor and 4 GB RAM, with a clean, updated installation of 64-bit Windows 10, Build 10240. The testing procedure included the points described in the Test Checklist below. Readers should be aware that our approval only applies to the functionality and browsers/OS version, and to the specific program version / build number of each product listed here".

To be deemed "approved", the security software must have passed the following requirements.

• The program can be installed and run without any error messages or other obvious problems.
  • After a system restart (at the latest), the software can be updated and activated without any obvious problems or error messages.
  • The product does not create any false alarms with operating-system files, cause crashes or affect normal operating system functionality.
  • The product registers as antivirus and antispyware (and firewall if applicable) with the Windows 10 Security and Maintenance applet in Control Panel. If the program’s real-time protection is disabled, a warning will be shown in the Windows 10 Security and Maintenance window.
  • Windows Defender is disabled, and Windows Firewall is appropriately configured by the product’s installer. If the product does not have its own firewall, Windows Firewall should be left running. If the product has its own firewall, Windows firewall should be disabled by setup, unless the product’s own firewall is designed to run alongside Windows Firewall, and also does this under Windows 8.1.
  • The program’s System Tray icon can be used to open its main window.
  • The program’s real-time protection protects the system against infection by recognized malware samples on both a USB flash drive and a network share.
  • An on-demand scan of recognized malware samples on a USB flash drive deletes or disables the malware.
  • The program detects and either blocks, deletes or disables recognized malware samples downloaded using both Windows 10’s integrated browsers, Edge and Internet Explorer.
  • The program can be uninstalled from Control Panel with no obvious problems or error messages; Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall where applicable, are automatically re-enabled after reboot.

Of course, you can always depend on Microsoft's free and pre-installed option Windows Defender. Microsoft's solution is actually decent, although not as thorough as some stronger third-party options. I am currently using Avast Free on Windows 10 with great results -- you can download it here.

Which Antivirus or security software will you use on Windows 10? Tell me in the comments.

Photo Credit: jörg röse-oberreich/Shutterstock

50 Responses to Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the compatible Antivirus products you need

1. Daniel evans says:

i will most definately stick to windows defender. i used to love avast and used it for years on our old laptop but since i got my new pc in december i had nothing but issues with avast. so, i deleted it and thought id just let windows defender do its thing and it has really surprised me to be honest.
    i download a lot, like a hell of a lot and never caught a single virus or anything. sometimes it pops up saying something wrong with a file etc so windows defender is enough i believe.

2. rvail317 says:

A list of Windows 10 compatible free antivirus would also be useful, along with corresponding effectiveness rating for heuristically identifying newly-released malware, that aren't yet listed in their corresponding AV databases.

3. sircolby45 says:

Ugh, whatever you do just avoid Kaspersky. That thing was one of the worst Anti-Virus programs I have had the displeasure of using. It has painfully slow update servers and the database would constantly get out of date and start complaining that it was out of date. Well then shut up and update it! I am talking it would get days out of date and I use my computers every day. I switched over to Bitdefender and never looked back.

• Dave Hobson says:

Funnily enough i switched to Kaspersky a couple of years ago.. I had the exact same issues.All this at a time when it was supposed to be the mutts nuts.
      I recently tried some beta/development build on one of my W10 preview build and it was silky smooth.......However when scanning it was a different story (think Norton when it was a real resource pig and multiply by lots) :-)

4. UglyStuff says:

Avast poses a problem when creating email accounts on email clients such as Thunderbird, by blocking IMAP and SMTP traffic by default.

I've used Avast for years, but on Windows 10, I had to install Avira (free), and so far, so good.

5. dan says:

why not system mechanics pro? How about Norton? neither work in win 10
    Dashlane nope....won't go into the new browser....all paid for and I like them

6. Stooker Adams says:

I hear this one works really well....

7. lasse øksbro says:

Windows defender, is fine for me

• Matt Rundle says:

a lot of people say that that is rubbish this is not true and it all comes down to do you believe everything articles tell you?

There's nothing wrong with using newer versions of Windows Defender in older versions of Windows from Vista to 7 you had to install Microsoft Security essentials which offered antivirus unlike Windows Defender now the the newer versions are a lot more improved than the older versions and work the same way as Microsoft Security Essentials just Microsoft changed the name back to Defender.

I've heard it all "it lets viruses in" no! the user lets viruses in, it works the same way as before use some common sense and keep it up to date, their are also some that don't have any Antivirus and are fine, if it was really bad Microsoft wouldn't have made it or recommended it at all, businesses have used it and schools/colleges so i don't see why an individual user would have a problem.

8. Stephen Leslie says:

Malwarebytes has its uses too.

9. cyberwire says:

No Symantec.. interesting...

• Dave Hobson says:

It does run fine... However Norton have for some reason decided not to do much with Microsoft Edge... So possibly not classed as fully supported.

10. nilst2011 says:

For corporations: Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.6168.6000.105

Works in Windows; XP, XP x64, Vista, 7, 8.0, 8.1 and 10

• twistedcarrot05 says:

It made me uninstall endpoint protection before upgrading. Did you reinstall it after?

11. StepnSteph says:

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Pro.

Over the years I have tried, and paid for, other software, including some that are on that list. None of them have shown that they're actually worth the price, let alone a subscription. None have shown that they were more effective than this combination and yet all of them sap away system resources, have occasional false positives or cause other problems while still demanding their subscription payment and extra fees for additional platforms.

12. dizzy_davidh says:

Kaspersky have an article which outlines vulnerabilities that even the brand new 2016 release cannot currently protect against when installed on Windows 10 so you are realistically as worse off with the 2016 version as you are with the 2015.

Kaskersky are also taking some heat from customers about the lack of information concerning their product's incompatabilities and apparent incapabilities to protect the new OS, especially given all the time they had to prepare for Windows 10’s release.

Personally I think that Kaspersky are of the mind that releasing their new version on the same day as Windows 10 might fool people into thinking it will protect them as well in Windows 10 as their products otherwise would in Windows 8 and earlier.

The 2016 release is currently only available to the US so perhaps Mother Russia (the home of Kaspersky, incase you didn't know) is using the US as a test bed for its wares with less concern for that market in the event something goes wrong.

Of course I'm kidding about that last part but you never know! ;)

• UggaDunk says:

Use policy editor (gpedit) to disable Windows defender, this is the real issue. It is Microsofts fault for removing the ability to disable it the normal way.

13. xpo172 says:

Webroot is Windows 10 compatible.

14. Erratic Knights says:

kaspersky antivirus just had a fit for me and kept shutting down so i don't think it's compatible.

• Dhiaz Pahlevi says:

same problem as me

• UggaDunk says:

This is actually Microsofts fault for changing how things can be disabled in windows. You now need to set the policy (gpedit) to Control aspects of windows. Use gpedit to disable windows defender, and you should be OK.

15. Edward Rempala says:

What about 360 Total Security from 360safe?

16. j gunz says:

Window had built in anti-virus inn window 8 and still does. Anti-virus is just smoke and mirrors it doesn't work. I don't understand why people keep buying it. http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/malware-threats-making-anti-virus-software-totally-useless-1.2559432

• Matt Rundle says:

yep there's nothing wrong with the newer versions of Windows Defender you've just got to keep them up to date.

17. Loretta Donohoe says:

I am running Bitdefender Total Security 2015 and after I put Windows 10 on all internet traffic was blocked. Took a while to figure it out but the firewall on Bitdefender will not work on Windows 10. I use the firewall that is built into Windows and that works.

• Hugo Sørli says:

I agree, there is something with the firewall for Bitdefender. Disable it, and there a solution to the problem. I also now that you can download the Bitdefender 2016 beta, that soon also will be official released in august with a hole new type of firewall. But that involve the risk of unknown problems when it comes to beta testing.

18. Ricardo Zamjai says:

AVG Internet Security version 20015.0.2162 show this "Troyano Generic36.BNBQ, c:Users**********AppDataLocalTemptmp567F.exe";"No fixed";"02/08/2015, 01:37:56 a.m.";"Fiie or folder";"c:$Windows.~BTSourcesSetupHost.exe" and stops windows 10 update from continuing. Any idea?

19. UggaDunk says:

Guys, use the policy editor in Windows 10 to disable Windows Defender. Or it will continually try to start itself, and muck your security. gpedit->admin temp->Win comp->Wind defend->turn off->enable.

20. Hugo Sørli says:

Using Bitdefender Total Security 2015. Had to us the uninstall tool, and download the version on this page. So there where some trouble at the beginning.

• Hugo Sørli says:

I am sorry to say; the trouble is not gone...

There is something with the Firewall in Bitdefender Total 2015, it's not compatible with Windows 10. Disable it and use Windows Firewall instead, then there a solution to the problem many experiences.

I also know that you can download the Bitdefender 2016 beta, that soon also will be official released in august with a hole new type of Firewall. But that involve the risk of unknown problems when it comes to beta testing.

Or I can test out F- Secure Safe for free for 30 days. F-Secure Safe have inbuilt F-Secure Internet Security 2015. F-Secure is the newer multi device software from F-Secure. So pick this one.

21. Steve Coller says:

The first thing Bitdefender did once the Win10 upgrade was complete was to update to the Win10 version. Immediately I lost Internet access. The new version also caused Internet problems on my 8.1 system. Nothing worked until I uninstalled Bitdefender.
    I'll try the link Hugo posted and see if I can get Bitdefender up and running again. I hope so as I recently renewed my license and I have always been happy with Bitdender.

• Hugo Sørli says:

For me the problem is not gone, but I have pinpointed the trouble source for me.

There is something with the firewall in Bitdefender Total 2015, it's not compatible with Windows 10. Disable
      it and use Windows firewall instead, then there a solution to the problem many experiences.

I also now that you can
      download the Bitdefender 2016 beta, that soon also will be official
      released in august with a hole new type of firewall. But that involve
      the risk of unknown problems when it comes to beta testing.

22. Alfredo says:

Webroot is fine on Windows 10. The only problem is with Microsoft Edge that it's not supported yet, but they're working on a solution.

23. One that i was using is missing here. You may include the following Free Windows 10 Antivirus software in the list https://antivirus.comodo.com/antivirus-for-windows-10.php

24. wooter says:

My Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 started acting strange and some functions were greyed out after upgrading to Windows 10. After uninstalling it I was unable to reinstall because Windows 10 stated: "This App can't run on this PC" "Bitdefender internet security 2015 doesn't work on this version of Windows." Then opened a support ticket on Monday. I haven't heard back from support yet. I did find a free upgrade to the Antivirus Plus 2015 on the Bitdefender website, but received the same Windows 10 message as the 2013 version, despite the Bitdefender website stating that the 2015 version will fix my problems.

25. Identita says:

Avast has acted really weird on every single machine that now has Win10 on it. From preventing HTTPS browsing to preventing MS Office programs from starting up. Bye bye for now Avast. What to use now?

26. Бани Человек says:

From NOw Anti Virus is a most in all our deviced be it Smartphones , PC or even smartTV . Anti virus such as avast, ESET, AVG , NORTON, Avgard, BitDeffencer and mUch more , avery important , get more reviews from the best anti virus of thei year from http://www.goldtrust.me or use the link http://www.goldtrust.me/index.php/2015/09/01/15-best-antivirus-best-free-antivirus-for-pc-and-laptop-in-2015/
    Fill free to comment and a link to download for free is found bellow each

GOOD REVIEWS

27. I've used probably most paid and free anti-virus programs, going back to pre-web browser days (dial-up 1200 baud modems) when Prodigy, AOL, CompuServe, as well as BBS and other transfer protocols were the only way to "get online."

I'm not a tech support guy but I end up handing tech support for family and friends. I'm happy to do it because it fulfills some OCD complex of mine. I'm super anal and stay on top of my computer's defenses, and only slightly paranoid. not overly so.

Anyway, I say all that to say I think Kaspersky is one of the very best pieces of software for protecting yourself against whatever you do (or don't do) with your computer. I've heard good things about Bitdefender and Webroot-- and they could be just as good as Kaspersky-- but they don't have the track record that Kaspersky does, nor quite the resources since they aren't as big. But I wish them well and wouldn't discourage them since we need as many quality anti-virus programs as possible out there. Sometimes bigger isn't better, too. (As I type this on my 20th Windows machine.)

The way I judge anti-virus software (and why I ended up on this page) is by how well they do with keeping up with new OS's and multiple platforms: PC, Mac, mobile, etc.

Kaspersky could one day decide not to be as aggressive and proactive as they are now. But, remember that they are the *only* ones who found the NSA's (or The Equation Group's, whatever) ultra secret, ultra complicated capability to directly access the firmware of hard drives. Now that, people, is proactive, aggressive and extremely skilled anti-virus work.

What I wouldn't ever, ever use, are Norton or McAfee-- these two companies market with fear-based techniques, and do so shamelessly. They are the programs you'll find people 60 and over using, but they are rubbish, IMHO, and as hard as some simple viruses to get off your computer themselves. They are desperate and lacking.

The rest of what's out there falls somewhere in-between.

PC Mag published a good review of anti-virus software 3 weeks ago (as of mid-September 2015) titled: The Best Antivirus for 2015 I would read that. It basically recommends the three programs that I do, but explains it all really well.

I've had Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 and 2016 both running quite well on my main i7 Win 8.1 computer. I've also installed it on a MacPro build I created to run Windows 8.1 only, a new Haswell-e i5200U laptop (again, with 8.1) and on a couple laptops of mine.

If you're complaining about speed and you use an old processor with a slow spinning-disk hard drive, well, I doubt anything but simple internet sites work without delay on your computer.

It runs well and I am impressed with it. The only negative thing I'd say is that the updates are really slow (as in download speed), but that's not a big deal in the scheme of things. Kaspersky also bundles a lot of other really useful tools if you care to drill down into the software and use them. The best is called "vulnerability scan," which will always find 10-15 important security holes on a freshly installed OS. Many of them are huge holes left open by Internet Explorer.

I'm not in any way affiliated with Kaspersky, and will stop using them if I think something better develops. I'm brand agnostic to the best of my abilities with everything. Their software has impressed me sufficiently that I felt like defending some of the rather novice criticisms being thrown their way. They sound like the only ones who came out and admitted that they couldn't defend against all of Win 10's vulnerabilities. That takes ballls in this business, and coming from them it makes me trust them more. (Though I will not install Win 10, ever, I hope.)