Your odds of a match in the Ancestry DNA online database keep increasing

If you’ve ever wondered about where you came from, and I mean an answer more substantial than Hoboken, then you’ve probably at least played around some with family history. We’ve all seen some old pictures, asked grandma a couple of questions, perhaps even dug in a little deeper.

There are many avenues to explore, from local archives, historical societies and libraries to cemeteries and online records. A more modern way to gain a head start is with DNA testing, a procedure that has quickly gained mainstream traction.

While several entities provide it, Ancestry seems to be a little ahead in the market, at least for those looking for ancestral info more than medical. Now the company behind one of the largest collections of online historical records is claiming a milestone in its DNA database.

The company is announcing it has surpassed 15 million DNA customers in its database. Once you've submitted your test and waited about six weeks you’ll receive a lot of info breaking down your lineage and you will also begin receiving information on those tested who have a genetic match to you. Many will be distant, but sometimes there are surprises.

"As the AncestryDNA network grows, Ancestry scientists can refine and discover more communities using Ancestry’s patented Genetic Communities technology -- a proprietary technology that can connect people through their DNA to the places their ancestors lived and the paths they followed to get there over the past 75-300 years. Ancestry recently released 94 new and updated AncestryDNA communities for customers of African American and Afro-Caribbean descent, with even more communities launching soon", the company says in its announcement.

To get started head over to Ancestry DNA. Currently, the cost is the full price of $99.99, but you can frequently get deals that knock quite a bit off of that.

12 Responses to Your odds of a match in the Ancestry DNA online database keep increasing

1. I’ve always wanted to do this type of thing, as it could be fun, but I’m not paying money to be entered into a database. Hell, if anything, they should be paying us for our DNA. These companies are probably laughing their way to the bank, shocked that consumers willingly hand over DNA and money.

• Tasburath says:

That's entirely your choice.

Being adopted without access to my biological parents, this was a nice way to find out my heritage.

• Mark Worthington says:

It's actually worth it. You get information about your geographical chronology and information about possible relatives you may know nothing about. It also allows you to set up your own family tree and speeds up the process of tracing back your ancestors. All this for $99. When you consider the technology behind it, I'd expect it to be more expensive.

• EGGM says:

I haven't done an ancestry test (yet?), but I can see why many people would want to, even for a lot more than $99. This is one of those things that can give meaning to somebody's life, e.g. by reconnecting them with lost relatives, or even with a culture they didn't know they originated from.

People donate much higher sums to religious institutions in search of meaning, even though religious institutions are much less transparent and are not guaranteed to give you anything at all. If you feel that there is not enough meaning in your life, I think $99 is a bargain.

Personally I don't have this problem, but just think it would be pretty cool to know more about my family's history. I also have lost relatives in at least two foreign countries, one being the US, so it would be pretty interesting to see if they're there too.

• Topaz_hunter says:

Same here. I did the Ancestry test, which then helped find my mother's missing cousin. No one in the family every heard what happened to him, and once I connected to his daughter (my second cousin, who Ancestry found) we were able to track down when and where he died. His daughter had no idea what happened to him either, he just walked out of their lives when she was young.

• Roc Hale says:

People put more than that in their churches collection plate. 😆

• MyDisqussion says:

I am not willing to put my DNA at risk of being handed over to law enforcement entities. If one were to ask Ancestry if they were handing over DNA to law enforcement under seal, would they tell us?

I also have an extensively researched family tree going back before the Mayflower, so no surprises there.

• Thos. Edison says:

Why should they pay you? You're not paying to be entered into a database, you're paying for a DNA test "on demand". Contrary to popular beliefs of the day, everything can't be free. Even so, you have the option of not having your info shared with anyone for any reason and even deleting your info. Just remember: if you do, you may never have known about your long-lost cousin, Pasta e Fagioli!😢

2. Pecan says:

If you live in the UK, and possibly in Europe: it is a crime to post DNA samples abroad.

If you post your DNA to these people you are a criminal and could be tried as a terrorist. Isn't that fun :-)

A couple of years ago lots of people were being bought these tests as gifts and I actually phoned the Dangerous Goods helpdesk at the Post Office to check. "Biological Substances (Category B)" are prohibited in international mail.

Before the Americans say "Those crazy Europeans" they should consider just how many "Biological Substances (diagnostic specimens including urine, blood, faeces and animal remains)" they want sent from other countries. Ever heard of anthrax?

Yeah, it's a pain but there are good reasons for it. NB: specialist shippers can carry this stuff, if you're willing to pay rather a lot. My sister owns a specialist shipping company, by the way, did I mention that?

3. Farmers (Mansfield) says:

Also worth bearing in mind, that most of the sites that do a test for you allow you to download your dna results in a standard format. You can then upload it to many other sites for comparison, without paying the test fee again.

4. Pecan says:

Good information. That wasn't an option for the kits the people I knew had. Must have been before they started doing it here or possibly a similar but different company.

• neo wales says:

It started back in the 80's and IIRC had a UK base not long after that, UK testing is not new.