MPAA Warning Greets Torrent Seekers

"You can click, but you can't hide," reads the message on the front page of LokiTorrent, ordered Thursday by Dallas Federal Court to immediately shut down. The warning rings especially true now that the Motion Picture Association of America has won a key court victory that allowed it access to LokiTorrent's visitor logs.

LokiTorrent, like many now-defunct BitTorrent Web sites, offered links to torrent files that are used to download and share illicit content. One of the most popular BitTorrent houses, SuprNova, recently went underground and launched a decentralized client called eXeem for accessing torrent downloads.

BitTorrent itself is a communications protocol that is commonly used to facilitate the distribution of very large files. However, it was not uncommon for these particular files to be copyrighted music, movies and television programming.

After successfully shutting down numerous BitTorrent sites, the MPAA touted its newfound access to the LokiTorrent.com server logs.

"This should give us information about LokiTorrent visitors who were involved in flagrant piracy of filmed entertainment," said John Malcom, director of worldwide piracy operations for the MPAA. "We are going to look at all the information...and decide what the appropriate action is to take."

The MPAA said the information may possibly lead to suits against individuals, but the organization has not decided whether that is the route they'd like to take.

For its part, LokiTorrent said it had raised as much as $30,000 for court costs and legal representation to fight Hollywood. As one of the biggest sites, it received special attention by Hollywood lawyers.

It is unclear whether the MPAA will ever be able to completely stop online piracy as P2P developers continue to find new ways to decentralize the system giving users more confidentiality in what they are doing online.

However, the MPAA is determined to stop illicit file sharing. "Illegally downloading movies from sites such as these without proper authorization violates the law, is theft, and is not anonymous," the warning threatens. "Stealing movies leaves a trail. The only way not to get caught is to stop."

86 Responses to MPAA Warning Greets Torrent Seekers

1. roj says:

They rely on ISPs like Verizon who whistle blow on their own customers. I disagree with the BetaNews article in that anyone who understands the Internet and the technology breeding ground out there already KNOWS beyond a shadow of a doubt that the MPAA and RIAA have already lost their respective battles.

They would be far better served by putting their dollars into finding ways to entice customers.

As time passes they will be forced to accept that fact by the results of what they are creating today. It's not a matter of "if" - it's simply a matter of "when".

• improvelence says:

Verizon was forced into that in case you didnt know. They fought for a long time to not have to rat out their customers.

• j_akers says:

Come move to Britain ... we have this thing called the Data Protection Act. Means our ISP's are breaking the law if they give our information to the RIAA's UK equivalents. Long live our freedom and liberty!

Personally I just refuse to buy CD's because I'm donating money to the RIAA's unjust cause. If they gave a decent percentage to the artist's then I'd buy the CD's tomorrow

• sjc001 says:

And in Canada it is not illegal to download for personal use.

• Squire72 says:

Up until recently it was legal to download in Canada, but Illegal to share... then the courts ruled sharing was okay too :)

On the downside, my ISP called me and complained I went over my 50GB data limit for January, by 9GB :/

Which wasn't THAT bad - until I checked the logs and I went over by 46GB in December.

Really, the only thing I download anymore is TV shows I missed... it's handy to be able to see them whenever :)

• roj says:

Man, you're with the wrong ISP. Let's just say that my January logs indivcated that I utilized significantly more bandwidth than that and my ISP didn't blink. Between Smallville, Battlestar Galactica and Enterprise... :)

• Squire72 says:

lol... Dec I did 100GB - I'm sure I've done way more in the past, it's a random screening thing.

Unfortunately, I've been flagged *lol* if I get busted over the limit again, it'll either be upgrade to a 70 or 100gb account... or have downtime :/

Smallville, OC, Gilmore Girls, That 70s, Simpsons, South Park, etc. - too much TV *lol*

• P47AT says:

The MPAA is insane if they think they can win the battle against emerging technologies. It just isn't going to happen. They have fought the birth of new technologies for over 30 years, anything that comes along that threatens to take even a single dollar out of their pockets they feel the need to stop. They have tried in the past and have failed, read the statements from Jack Valenti, recently retired President of the MPAA after 38 years.

JACK VALENTI:
        We are facing a very new and a very troubling assault ... and we are facing it from a thing called the video cassette recorder and its necessary companion called the blank tape.

We are going to bleed and bleed and hemorrhage, unless this Congress at least protects one industry ... whose total future depends on its protection from the savagery and the ravages of this machine, the VCR.

The growing and dangerous intrusion of this new technology threatens an entire industry's economic vitality and future security. [The new technology - the VCR] is to the American film producer and the American public as the Boston Strangler is to the woman alone. - Jack Valenti, President, Motion Picture Association of America, testifying on videocassette recorders before the House Judiciary Committee in 1982.

• blackcherry says:

lol at all the nerds here sh*tting their little pants........ ffs, 99% of people used torrent for illegal downloaing of stuff, so don't give me any of this ".....but it had legal uses!" crap. i hope every single person who ever used BT gets sued.

• keekles says:

man you are so hardcore. props 2 u.

• In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida says:

Both the MPAA and RIAA are a bunch of idiots. They spend all this money trying to make people's lives miserable instead of just going with the flow; i.e. offering subscriptions or single episode purchases for TV. Face it - we're in a world that isn't perfect. We have errands to run and meetings that run over. If we miss our shows, we need a way to see them regardless (even Tivo isn't reliable if the show starts late). If the stupid networks would have just offered people a way to pay for TV episodes, they could have scooped up a lot of support without pissing people off and made a ton of money. I won't pay for Showtime on my cable system because I refuse to pay for the box to decode it. I have to pay $10 extra per month just to get the extra channel, but I'd be willing to pay $15 to buy the 13 episodes of "Dead Like Me" without allowing my cable provider to suck me dry with extra charges.

I have a vast DVD collection because I like the DVD extras, the pretty boxes, etc. and I like sitting in my living room watching them. Whether I download something or not isn't going to prevent me from not paying for an "official" nice pretty copy in a box that won't break if the cat knocks the DVD rack over (unlike burned CDs).

This is all about power and control and fame. Everyone wants their 10 seconds in front of the media. Apparently it's more important for the people representing the MPAA/RIAA to get it then bringing in the bucks they could have made by making it easy for people to D/L high quality episodes with no ads. (What, not enough incentive? Let them add scenes deleted due to time constraints to fatten the pot.) For people concerned about the bottom line, the MPAA/RIAA doesn't act like it.

• OCedHrt says:

Not about the MPAA but I just thought of something. Translating anime, or any show, requires permission of the copyright holder. If I'm the kind of person who sings/hum in the shower, do I need to get a license before I can hum the song I just heard on the radio? I mean, I am singing/humming my "translation" of the original. Or what if I wanted to quote something funny from the movie. I guess that's a violation of the terms for broadcasting.

Instead of trying to tout copying/distributing/download as illegal, maybe they should try for a different approach: Intention to hurt the economy or something.

• zederics says:

I love my ISP is firwalled at several locations
        iam in Norway but my when iam tring to find where my ip is located is showing upp in Austria=P
        try to find me.. ops guest not %p i guess idon't need to clean up after me for traces

• fragsta says:

lokitorrent was the torrent site they shut down, for a good reason (it is theft). But one question arises will they launch law suits against every single being that has been there for no matter what cause
        surely that is impossible or is it?

• roj says:

Never ever gonna happen.

It's far more likely that the MPAA / RIAA will change their tune when, not if, they realize that they've wasted enormous amounts of money to no good end. But it's going to take a while.

• spiffyjeff says:

I won't get sued for using BT, even though I live in the USA. WHY? Because I only use it for legal purposes. Sharing and downloading music that is not released through the RIAA, but to Creative Commons and Public Domain! Linux CDs and other free software too!

• Sil says:

In your face Jack Valenti. Ban scanners, cameras, photocopiers. Ban anything that lets you make copies of something.

Want to stop piracy online? You'll have to "ban" (give rid of) the internet itself, McLuhan style. Might as well go amish. :/

• roj says:

I average about 200Gb a month. Damn straight, too much TV.

This from the guy who bought the entire Babylon 5 series AND the movies on DVD - full price.

• sjc001 says:

My ISP had to install a limit of 30 gigs a month because one user had downloaded around 200 gigs in just one month. Needless to say that he moved to another slower ISP and soon after the limit was removed.

Also, we have to pay an extra little fee on recordable media and this fee is suppose to go to the artists involved. This is another reason why downloading isn't illegal in Canada as well.

• roj says:

We have the same thing in Canada. It's called the Privacy Act. Companies are breaking the law if they give out client information. Add to that the fact that it's demonstrably extremely difficult to get a definitive corelation between a person and a given IP (I'll get back to that later - it's all but impossible from a technical perspective especially if personal routers are involved and to have even a half-assed shot at it you have to have a LOT of ducks in a row) and even more difficult to prove that the person who you have found is actually the person using that IP and it's a losing proposition. Our laws require a bit more bproof before legal action can be brought to bear - the scattershot approach doesn't work here.

But wait, there's more.

Then you have the added complication that file sharing is legal in this country and the ruling that uploading was illegal was a ruling only by the Copyright Board (NOT a law - the Copyright Board can't pass laws) and thus toothless, whereas file sharing being declared legal is now a precedent established in the courts. Oh, and we tossed DMCA - when pressure was brought to bear from south of the border we did the right thing and sent it packing, much as we are with the Star Warsd rubbish.

But it doesn't stop there. The ISPs themselves waged their own war against revealing client information and WON, independent of the Privacy Act. Part of the reason they did was that they demonstrated that there was no completely conclusive way to identify a person by their IP - that's why we don't have dead grandmothers and people without computers being sued here.

All of that effectively renders the MPAA / RIAA are persona non grata here.

And our laws which actually respect the privacy of individuals (something American politicians seem only too happy to sell out and American citizens appear too impotent to prevent) will keep them that way.

• gawd21 says:

If the ISP's would just DELETE the freakign files in the first place.... Hell even M$ has learned to move on and just make it better to be legel and not as good to be illegel. it works.

• roj says:

That's one of the more clueless things I've heard in a long while. And how exactly is an ISP going to get past a router into a user's machine and delete files on their hard drive?

Hey, if it were that easy, the MPAA and RIAA would already be doing it.

• Portal3 says:

Maybe they were refering to the LOG files the ISP may have. If they have any, AU users can just enforce the Information Privacy Act and ask for it to be deleted.

2. circuitsboard says:

I find it amusing.

I compare it to what has happened with the tobacco companies. They have been held morally and financially responsible for people making the decision to light a cigarette.

Soon enough it will be weapons manufacturers.

Why not, then, does Hollywood target the manufacturers who give us the technology to pirate?

Everyone wants to blame someone else...

• Scary Guy says:

Oh but THEY ARE targeting the technology too. http://www.eff.org/endangered/

• midfingr says:

OMG
        Endagered Gizmos? Talk about fascists!
        C'mon If these clowns put something out worth buying and stop riping off artists and consumers, we wouldn't need this discussion.

.... disgusting ....

• Bruce_Bach says:

Ahh yes but they already are holding mfg's responsible. I think it was Glock that lost a law suit because sombody used one of their guns to kill a kid.
      Soon chevy and ford will be held responsible if somebody kills with one of their cars.
      I'm thinking a deserted island some where with no power or internet connection is the only safe place these days.

3. donpacman says:

Torrent and P2P networks are the "bottom of the food chain" when it comes to sharing.

Secure ftp and applications like WASTE that use encryption to move data are the way to go.

• P47AT says:

Anyone out there afraid of getting sued? Will the server logs lead to thousands of individual lawsuits?

• eoswald says:

The way I understand it, yes. Anybody who's downloaded from LokiTorrent may be at risk for an individual suit if the MPAA decides to go that route.

I just don't see where this ends, however.

• dafunkk12 says:

I think, if anyone, the people they'll go after are the people listed as uploaders of the original torrent, much like the RIAA mainly went after people who were sharing their files on past P2P networks.

• sjc001 says:

Not with blockers like Protowall. Lokitorrent didn't actually keep such logs so there is nothing to use.

I had a feeling something like this would happen. Lokitorrent's lawyer has strung him along as long as the money was coming in and as soon as it stoped coming in he probably "recommended" that he settle out of court. The MPAA knows that they will lose if it came to court and since they have deep pockets they can wait out their victims until they go broke and have to shut down anyways.

4. np1123 says:

With companies like Netflix and Blockbuster all offering 30 day trials, why not just rent the movie, burn it then return it? Seems like it would be a lot easier

• deadmonkey says:

Exactly, that way you get a copy in exactly the format you want (DivX or XviD, with or without QPel, etc.)

I pay £13 a month and can have as many DVD rentals as I want, there is nothing to stop me making copies however as I know I can get it the next day again if I want to I don't really want to bother with copying it. I also like that it is always £13 a month, no more no less. It is always much easier than download as I know I will always get a high quality copy and not waste a few hours downloading a movie only for it to be in another language or crap quality!

5. Pegusis2 says:

Well all you folks who thought you were so smart sharing out your hard drives to anyone and everyone... looks good on you. You've been told for the last several years that this would come back to haunt you, well that day is drawing ever so near. For goodness sakes, why would you even waste your time downloading the movies anyways, the quality is less then good ~ about 40% of what they should be and the sound is in most cases all crackally too.

• improvelence says:

Actually, you can get DVD quality videos off of the internet. There are also new digital formats that surpass DVD in both video and audio. And not all videos on these networks are illegal, its a shame that technology must suffer for the acts of some.

• roj says:

...which just goes to show what you know about the actual situation.

• jofin says:

Sounds to me as if someone in the MPAA wrote this comment to deter people from downloading!
      "For goodness sakes, why would you even waste your time downloading the movies anyways, the quality is less then good ~ about 40% of what they should be and the sound is in most cases all crackally too."
      Where did he get his downloads - Mars? Or maybe he watched White Noise and is confused about the movie content and quality.
      At the end of the day, the movie and music industries only have themselves to blame for so many illegal copies! The prices here in the U.K. to buy them are ridiculously high and it seems to be the same for most countries. Investigate the prices of blank CDs and DVDs and try and justify the high prices. Where is all the money going?
      Finally, anyone who thinks the MPAA is going to sue everyone who has downloaded copyright materials is living in cloud cuckoo land. Sue tens of millions of people? I don't think so. The thought of that alone only confirms my feelings - DVDs and CDs are overpriced!

• verified101 says:

Well here are my reasons for using it.

1) I am broke, but I need the skills to learn how to use Photoshop, because I enjoy graphic design. Because I'm trying to get work doing graphic design.

2) Movies out there I have no idea if I'll like, and i saw a crappy movie at the theatre. Speaking of which I still go to the movies. But I have downloaded movies and then bought DVD's. I have kept some movies on discs, but just because I thought since I spent all that time downloading it , that I would be a waste to just delete it.

3) As for music, well the fact that to me mp3's sound pretty good, I can pack a lot on one cd, and I personally like to not waste so many CD's it makes more sense, not to mention there isn't much music on one disc I really like. Maybe 3 songs out of 10. And I'll pay what 12 dollars for it. Don't think so. I would download legal mp3's but DRM is such a pain it isn't worth it, even with all the free try us out messages, I can't even play them on my mp3 player.

The RIAA and the MPAA need to get their heads out of their butts and find a new solution, and maybe stop buying so many luxurious items. Also be damned if the artists get much money from CD's anyhow. They make most of their money from concerts.

• Portal3 says:

You can't sanely produce something on such an exploited medium as CDs and DVDs and expect it to somehow defy the laws of physics and not be exploited. It's like selling a junkie some coke and saying "Now then, don't you go doing nothing illegal." "Give a kid a knife and he'll play with it; give a man a knife and you'll be cut." Although these days you'd expect kids to be capable of cutting much like burning. :-P
        Either put it a secure medium or expect 1MBit encrypted peer-to-peer networks popping up on end-user owned ISPs.

• dogandacomputer says:

The artists are going to be the ones who hurt in the end. Some of the lega CDs are such a pain in the ass to use that "legal" users don't even want to bother!

• sjc001 says:

Some radio stations won't play CDs with certain copy protections on them since they all use computers to play their music from now.

• Macross74 says:

Well sir, there are honest people out there.
      But 1/2 witted companies wont release music or movies or tv shows in other countries on time or ever due to their forcing of crap teeny bopper music who not everyone likes.
      I have an idea to the companies, try releasing real music and movies on time in other countries and the honest people who do buy said titles when they become available wont get branded like some people who have no will to own a legal copy!!!
      Example, jim hensons labyrinth has been out in the states for 12 months on dvd in the remastered format, australia has only just recieved a official release a few days ago?
      Explain that one mr movie laywer ???

• manila says:

I am a fan of CSI/Sopranos. I live in a place where they currently show CSI 3 in re-runs for the third time. Sopranos on HBO will never happen.So what is a dude like me to do? Thanks to the good folks who acutally post TV programs!!!!Just finished Season 4 and 5 of CSI and Season 5 of Sopranos and currently checking CSI NY Season 1.
        Who in his/her right mind would buy DVDs of TV shows anyway? Once you have seen them why spend the dough? Where I live I can buy the latest releases of movies on a DVD for US$1.50 so I am not so crazy downloading movies. But in the USA and Europe you pay a fortune for a movie tickets so that the Hollywood fat cats get even fatter (how much money do the Spielbergs and the Julia Roberts really need?). That is why P2P networks will continue to thrive. I really hope that Exeem will succeed in the long run. Good Luck to them!!

6. petgamer says:

Ok first it started with CD burners and how they could be used illegally.. and not it's progressed to this. They can't stop people getting things for free off the internet or burning things to a disc. I can go up to my local video store and rent a DVD for 5 nights for $5 and then burn it to a DVD.. that's a whole lot cheaper than paying $20 for it. These idiots won't ever be able to stop illegal file sharing or anything.. there's cracks, keygens, and everything else to "fix" software which are easily found on the internet and illegal too but you don't see anything in the news about the shutdown of those sites..

This whole thing is blown completely out of proportion.

If people were scared on being sued, then they wouldn't be sharing all their files and continue downloading.. think about it...

• Portal3 says:

TCPA could go ahead and build their computers and Record Companies and Movies etc can use encrypted CD/DVDs that only work with a computer with a Fritz chip. Then for the audio, just make it so that only certain devices (ie: headphone/speakers) with chips can be used for someone to listen to the audio. The audio card would also need power/current detection to make sure someone doesn't hook up a device to rip the music. Then audio streaming would have to be stopped with the OS. So the only way to copy it would be to have some microphone next to the speaker. Perhaps the headphones could detect the magnetism from the microphone?
      Basicly, it would take a lot of money to make todays mediums secure from pirating but it is possible. People would have to conform if they wanted the best quality; otherwise they can just listen to some bootlagged radio rip.

• px208 says:

Having a DRM "chip" doesnt guarantee tat it wont be hacked. I know of a particular application that uses a USB hardware key to unlock it, and it was hacked with some software to emulate the USB hardware key.
        Bottom line, if its made by men, it can be broken by men. Rather than trying to fight it, maybe RIAA members need to rethink thier business models.

• RazorbladeX90 says:

To be honest, some forms of copy protection are going to encourage piracy rather than prevent it. Two recent examples I can think of are Half Life 2 & FarCry. They had advanced,elaborate copy protection systems which both claimed would reduce piracy. However in reality, both restricted legitimate users . Farcry had copy protection on the surface of the disc that was incompatible with some drives. Half Life 2 requires an internet connection. Both systems were cracked and users who would otherwise have bought the game may have copied them as the legitimate version was incompatible with their system due to the copy protection!

• Mystiqq says:

At least Valve, the maker of Half Life 2, lissened their costumers to remove the ridicilous DVD (double) copy protection. People had to keep the DVD running in the drive in order to play the damn thing.
        Personally i thing the whole non-multiplayer internet requirement is just bs.

• sjc001 says:

If you can hear it you can record it. It may not be as nice as a direct copy, but recording off of the radio has its limits to quality as well.

• eunichman says:

why use a mic next to headphones. make (or there probably already is one) a patch jack to go from your headphone jack straight to the line in on your sound card :)

• Portal3 says:

That's why I'd suggest having power/current detection for everything connected to the sound card. Each chip would be allowed a certain amount of Watts and Amphere. To avoid these chips from being copied, they would need to be updated with newer encryption/decryption codes for the chip on the soundcard and audio device. This would render it much like analog pay TV only a per day update may deter audio pirates.
        The best way to to sell something is to rent it out under heavy protection and not sell it.

7. lilmegz says:

F*CK THE INDUSTRY! :)

8. meheler says:

Start using Tor when visiting sites like that. Simple fix. The more people who use it, the more random IPs which will be used, the less they can do about it.

Corporations are today's Kings and Queens. They're the scum of the Earth, and they will be taken down just as all their arrogant predecessors. This is a message to them: just see how far you can push us. We are the true power in this world, and we can take yours away. You can take it to the bank and cash it for your precious dollar bills. Enjoy them while you can, because when we're done, they'll be worthless.

They're just a bunch of liars, and they are far worse thieves than anyone who's ever downloaded a movie from the internet. Anyone who paid to see Air Bud or I, Robot or Legally Blonde or any of the other 99% of garbage cookie-cutter BS movies which are pumped out by the studios to line their pockets with your hard earned dollars will know what I mean. Of course I'm going to download it and preview it first, I don't trust them.

Here's a tip. You want people to pay for your work, stop making crap. You want to live in a capitalist society, that's a fact you're going to have to live with. It's your choice.

Condolences. The marketers will lose.

• dogandacomputer says:

You are so right about this. Corporate is pushing crap down our throats and expect us to like it and buy it. Why buy a $18 CD for one good song, and now you can't even do what you want to with the music. It will be a nasty backlash on these hoarding pigs!

9. robertguda says:

sort of looks like the ancients who's been first question...da chicken or da egg...its mainly a question of on which side one is on...for example: who talks about microsofts illegal access to one's computer ? who talks about microsofts illegal restricting one's use of this operating system simply because it confirms their illegal prying into your privacy ? (not withstanding those phony "we wont do anything with this information shit" notes...and was'nt even bill clinton adding to this controversy by admitting having smoked pot but not "inhaled" so in the end he said he was'nt guilty of anything ?
    and the thief being robbed by robin hood, can he scream for "justice"? so, computers without software ? software without those ridiculously high prices ? everywhere there's money, there's the weird behaviour of the human being...

• darkmetal says:

Why did they go out and make these mp3 players you know that is what got people to start downloading.
      A mp3 player is like a file sharing program but you can bring your library with??? That is what got fileshare so popular you think the owners of those mp3 players are goin to go out a buy a cd and put it on it? Some might but most just download it on a fileshare program. what does the RIAA AND MPAA have in common? Are they both trying to get Fileshare users that are seekers? What about the legal downloading is that really legal or is it scam? like http://www.allcoolmusic.com for instense i know people who are members and all it is just tell you not to share and has all the free fileshare programs but just a guide to not share is that really legal?

10. Mark Gillespie says:

So what, that means jack..

Visiting, and even downloading the .torrent file IS NOT ILLEGAL..

They would have to prove, you then subsequently used that .torrent file to download the COMPLETE (as in 100%) of the file referenced in there.

The owners do no own, and have no legal rights on the .torrent file itself..

• deadmonkey says:

They don't care about downloaders, they care about people sharing (in the case of bittorrent the key seeders). What people don't realise is that with bittorrent the tracker can record a lot of information about you (after all you are basically broadcasting that you are download this file and you can share these chunks of data). Also because of the hashing used in bittorrent the MPAA can use that to prove that the file you were downloading was in fact a pirated copy of some movie.

So the logs are a big deal. The logs are the most important thing as it tells them who the key seeders are.

• Mark Gillespie says:

from logs, I assumed Apache or IIS HTTP server logs from the webserver.

So, visiting the site would get the RIAA knocking at your door.

• meheler says:

They won't bother with people who downloaded .torrent files, they'll be going after the people who uploaded the links, acted as seeds, etc.

• eunichman says:

like the dead 88 year old gramma the RIAA sued recently who never had a computer in her home? no... I dont like the idea of the RIAA's mass random lawsuits :)

• shicaca says:

I think that it'd be freaking hysterical if every lost case they had against people they had to pay out millions of dollars in fraudulant / excessive claims on. Might as well pay our courts for fulfilling these mass suits.

• deadmonkey says:

Nah they can't really do anything with just web logs, after all people might go to that site with no intention of downloading any torrent files, etc.

Tracker logs are different though as they report who has what parts of the files and put each client in touch with the other clients so you can put all the bits of data together kind of like making a puzzle. Like with all things, kill off the root of the problem (the seeders) and the rest all falls part. Because of how BitTorrent works they can attack it pretty easily. Take the tracker offline and all the torrents on the tracker are dead, and they have loads of information about the key seeders which they can use. Win/Win for the MPAA/RIAA with BitTorrent.

• shicaca says:

The thing is, though, the way BitTorrent works is there are key servers that the torrents connect. All Loki's servers did was say, "Here's the torrent files. Once you dl this the torrents will show you how to get to the OTHER servers to find the users online with the file." Unless, of course, Loki's servers were ALSO one of the servers with the users online. ... in which case the people that acted as seeds may be screwed.

11. Pegusis2 says:

I don't work for the MPAA as mentioned below...

I just think people who are too cheap to purchase their movies, songs or what have you deserve what they get from authorities. I have almost 300 CDs in their original case because one I liked the bands music, two because it's right to support the band if you like their music. No need to steal music because everyone else is doing it, and if your excuse is you couldn't afford it then that's just too bad - I'd like to have a LandRover but I ain't gonna go out and steal one because I can't afford it, I just won't have one and I'll stick with my Jeep.

• ds0934 says:

I've noticed that RIAA has switched from arguing that piracy is hurting artists to focusing on the moral issues. Anyone with a TV can witness the blatant excessive lifestyles of MTV cribs, E!TV "It's Good To Be", etc. etc. etc. The artists are somehow still making a very good income in spite of the piracy concern. This leads me to believe it's only the studios and corporate backers that are worried. Not arguing for or against the right to pirate artistic works, or whatever anyone prefers to call it. Just that the notion that copying works without paying for them is hurting artists is outright false.

• meheler says:

The sad thing is that those "artists" who are living it up are usually over-marketed hacks with a pretty face, while people honestly doing something artistic are playing $100 gigs every night of the week just to get by. No one hears about them because in the end, the same recording companies who are calling you a theif are deciding what you will and won't hear in the main stream.

• sjc001 says:

And the ironic thing is that those artists WANT you to download their stuff first. This will allow them to bypass the big corporations which usually screw them over anyways.

• spiffyjeff says:

say you COULD afford the LandRover, would you buy it if you weren't allowed to test drive it? Or how about the "legal downloads" if they were your LandRover, you wouldn't be able to re-sell it, would you buy a car that you couldn't test drive and then couldn't re-sell in the future?

• jofin says:

Well its so nice to meet someone who is perfect.
      Next you'll be telling us you have never stolen anything in your life or broken any law no matter how minor.
      Was that you I saw walking on water the other day?

DVDs and CDs are still way overpriced and it seems to me that it is keeping the fat cats in luxury.
      Check out how much the CEO of Disney has made in the last couple of years and tell us if he deserves all those millions for running a failing corporation?
      When DVDs became the standard over videos, I didn't see these companies offering major discounts to anyone owning the original video. Likewise, when vinyl was replaced by CDs, no discount. Once again they were happy to charge you for a full copy.

Funnily enough, I have a LandRover - want to borrow it? I wasn't too cheap to buy that!
      I gave a substantial amount to the recent tsunami disaster appeal - Didn't notice too many of those CEOs, movie stars, top performers falling over themselves to give their easily earned millions in a similar manner. Also do not notice too many of them helping with the thousands of men, women and kids dieing every day from starvation! NOW, that really is offensive behaviour!!!!!

• Pegusis2 says:

You guys have to be kidding... Simple fact is I don't use these foolish File Sharing programs for the simple fact that I don't need the viruses that come with some of the programs you download. And I'd almost put money on it that nobody downloads near half the stuff I download and try out. I used to run a Freeware web site but I got so tired of digging through the bad stuff to get to the good stuff that I gave up, people don't seem to have the ability to read when submitting software and they have this real need to send in Shareware, Adware, Virusware... or what have you. I have been playing with programs since 1984 when I got my first computer and me and a buddy of mine were creating games on it (it was a TI 99A with 16 K built in memory). Anyway I just wanted to say something... guess I tickled a lot of peoples fancy on this subject... hehehe Have a good one,

Peg

• Saethan says:

Pegusis, if you had a magical atom-copying device that copied the land rover molecule for molecule and left the original in tact, would you use it?

;)

• klingon379 says:

I agree that downloading music for free is wrong if you're doing it simply because you don't want to pay for it, but what you may not realize is that most of the money you pay to get the CD goes to the record company and not to the artist who wrote the song.

• jroe says:

True but in my case I paid for over 400 cd's of my favorite bands and had virtually all of them stolen out of my car - Since then I've gathered back probably half in the form of MP3 mostly from friends and I feel I have a full legal right to them since I've paid for them previously.

12. darkmetal says:

What is the MPPA? i don't know what THE RIAA is either. I can see they don't like fileshare for sure why don't they think of all the people on that bitTorrent network who where a part in lokitorrent are all getting sude by them the host of that site gave everything away so there are millions of people getting sude my the MPAA just for becoming a member dude that is kinda Harsh. What about the MPAA and RIAA blockers ? What are they goin to with that???
    fileshare is never going to stop they will just find that out soon.
    better software to Block the RIAA and MPPA. TEll me RIAA AND MPAA what do you all do just sit down and track people all day and ruen there life for suing them. There lot of neebs that don't know about fileshare laws what about them?

13. eunichman says:

from what I understand reading the FBI warnings on these movies, it's only illegal to make copies of the movies if you charge to watch them.. if you make copies and give them away then that isnt really violating that aspect of the law. I dont ever remember reading in the warnings that show on the movies before the movie starts that it's against statute this or that to give away free copies of the movie.

I myself dont share file and dont use p2p stuffers but I am just making an observation is all

14. ItsGinn says:

I agree about the movies being copied and redistributed. Entertainment isnt a right to anyone. If you can't afford to buy them or go see the movies... guess what your out of luck, its extra in your life you dont need it to survive. Everyone is always trying to get something for nothing. I never have downloaded an entire movie. I am guilty of music though. My feeling on that are alot different then most just because buying an Artists CD, the money doesnt all go to them only a VERY small percentage. If you really want to support the Artist, goto their shows when they come to your town! They make much higher profits for themselves when they go on tour.
    I dont condone stealing music but something needs to be done about RIAA and them forcing artists to make extra music just to fill tracks when only 1-2 songs out of 12 are any good it really cheapens the artist.

15. richtam123 says:

Okay, here's my take on the situation. I like music, I hate the prices and artist gotta get paid. So, here's what I do. I buy all my music at second hand stores, garage sales and used music stores. I don't find the new stuff there but that's okay, I'll wait a year or so then I'll get my music at the above sources.

It wasn't that long ago that I bought 3 cd's of current music for less than 3 bucks each at the Goodwill. The aritst has been paid, I get music and charity makes a nice profit. Win-win-win!

I do this because downloading is a crapshoot in terms of quality. As for downloading movies, it takes to long for me, (cable modem) so forget it. I can rent a movie at Movie Gallary for $1.99/7 days and if I really want the movie, I'll hit the nearst pawnshop and buy it for $3.50 at near new condition. That's my view and no, I don't work a charity, pawnshop, used media store or movie rental store. :)

16. c4p0ne says:

Ok well here's my take: F the MPAA and F the RIAA. I believe they should both be drowned in their own blood. I think that P2P is the PERFECT thing to "level the playing field" for what whould have previously been called "the little people". Well guess what MPAA/RIAA, more and MORE of us are steadily being ARMED with increasingly anonymous and decentralized P2P technologies.

Suddenly we're not so "little" anymore are we? Now they're afraid. This is just the beginning, this is nature bringing the world back to a natural balance. A balance that these philthy unholy organizations have long since destroyed.

Actors/Musicians are starving? WTF??????????????? I'll show you starving.. In the form of PETABYTES of shared movies and music. Christ you gotta be kidding me with that "we're" losing more money every year CRAP. So what? From the BILLIONS in profit per year, they're losing about 500 Million.

You know what, I don't think they're losing enough, I personally won't be happy until I see P2P SLICE into at least a BEEFY 65% of their profit. They need to be brought to their knees. No one is friggin starving, these actors/artists make so much money they can support their cocaine habits until their death with no problem. And you're sitting there telling me some crap-azz story about we're "stealing" from them. BULL. You may as well start playing a damn violin with that sad stuff.

DIE RIAA. DIE MPAA. DIA ALL LAWYERS.

P2P forever and don't let me catch anyone in here actually taking a dollar out of their pocket to buy a movie or CD falsely thinking that you're "supporting" something. The RIAA/MPAA take like 80% of that horrific $22.50 that you pay for that new double-CD. And it takes them like 30 cents to manufacture it.

17. shicaca says:

Wait a minute. You're telling me that being able to download my favorite TV show b/c I can never seem to catch the damned thing on TV is ILLEGAL?! *especially* when I pay a CABLE bill?! You've GOT to be kidding me. You can go shove a carrot up your nose because if I want to download TV episodes, watch, and delete them they're blowing smoke.

• psyranix says:

Taping a late night movie and pausing it while the ads play is pirating (you're allowed to watch the television because your veiwing is being paid for by advertising).
      I suppose they could try designing codecs which require you to veiw ads and what-not but there's always someone out there designing a better pause button.

18. c4p0ne says:

Damn, my post got deleted. It was a damn good post too, wish I had saved it in a text file so I could revise and re-post it without all the well-deserved hostility toward those unholy tyrants.

Anyway, forget about the MPAA and such, if i catch anyone trying to actually pay for a movie or CD i'm telling you you're gonna be in trouble!

19. Maxwolf says:

Maybe if they work at it hard enough they both will put themselves in deep financial (we could only hope mentally too) trouble trying to break big on this thing. One argument they put themselves out of business. The other being their leaders would shoot themselves in the face at point-blank-range after realizing they cannot win this fight.

20. johnk119 says:

I download music to try it out. If i really love an artist, I'll buy their stuff. Here's where i get mad, SCREW the MPAA. Idiots, They hinder progress and the distribution of data. I URGE EVERYONE OUT THERE, EVERY DEVELOPER, ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE. PLEASE DESIGN TECHNOLOGY THAT IS MORE RESISTANT TO INTRUSIONS BY GOV'T AGENCY'S. They're nothing more than hinderances. Hackers of the idiot degress. Thank you for your time