Meet Nokia Lumia 1020 Windows Phone

Today, during its "Zoom. Reinvented" press event, Finnish maker Nokia unveiled a new handset called the Lumia 1020, which is the company's modern, Windows Phone 8 interpretation of the year-old 808 PureView.

Just like the 808 PureView, the Lumia 1020 sports a 41 MP camera with Xenon flash, Zeiss lens and OIS (Optical Image Stabilization), that shoots photos at a massive 7712 by 5360 resolution and is capable of 1080p video recording at 30 FPS. But, that's where the similarities end. The Lumia 1020 packs a larger 4.5-inch AMOLED display with a resolution of 768 by 1280, which is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3, similar to the Lumia 925 that was unveiled in mid-May. On the front there is a 1.2 MP wide-angle camera that can shoot 720p video.

The Lumia 1020 is powered by a 1.5 GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor, which is backed by 2 GB of RAM (twice as much compared to the Lumia 925) and a relatively small 2,000 mAh battery (considering the camera-focused design).

For the Lumia 1020, Nokia quotes up to 13.3 hours of talk time using 3G cellular networks, 63 hours of music playback, 6.8 hours of video playback and 5.5 hours of Wi-Fi browsing.

The Lumia 1020 offers 32 GB of internal storage and, just like other Nokia-branded high-end Windows Phone handsets, no microSD card slot. This can potentially become an issue for those who wish to store a significant amount of photos on the device.

As far as connectivity options go, the Lumia 1020 features 4G LTE and HSPA+ cellular network support, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0; NFC (Near Field Communication), USB 2.0 and A-GPS with Glonass support.

The Lumia 1020 comes in at 130.4 x 71.4 x 10.4 mm and 158 grams, which makes it slightly taller, wider, thinner and lighter than the bulky Lumia 920 (measures 130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 and weighs 185 grams). I expect the former's thickness to actually be much more significant once the rear camera bump is taken into account.

Nokia also revealed two, snap-on accessories called Camera Grip (goes for $79) and Wireless Charging Cover. The former provides a dedicated camera-like grip and can be used with a tripod mount, while the latter allows prospective Lumia 1020 buyers to wirelessly charge the handset by laying it on top of a compatible Qi device.

The Lumia 1020 runs Windows Phone 8 and offers traditional Nokia-exclusive apps and features as well as new ones like Pro Camera and Rich Recording, which are designed to offer a more fully-featured camera interface and improved stereo sound recording, respectively. The Lumia 1020 also comes with FM radio functionality.

In the US, the Lumia 1020 will be available, in black, yellow and white trims, exclusively from AT&T. The mobile operator will offer the new Windows Phone 8 handset starting July 26, for $299.99 alongside a two-year contract. Pre-orders will kick off on July 16.

The Lumia 1020 will also be available in China and "key European markets" in Q3, with mobile operator Telefonica carrying an exclusive version in "select European and Latin American markets". Nokia announced that the roll-out will extend to other regions later in the year.

60 Responses to Meet Nokia Lumia 1020 Windows Phone

1. Mark says:

If Nokia really wanted to be seriously how about you come out with a phone that is equal to or exceed the spec of Galaxy S4 or HTC One.

• WP7Mango says:

It is better spec. You won't find such a camera spec on either the S4 or the HTC One.

• C64 says:

Full of pro Microsoft BS, unbelievable.

• WP7Mango says:

Really? Go and find me any other smartphone that comes close in terms of camera specs.

I'll give you a clue - only the Nokia 808 comes close. Neither the S4 or HTC One come anywhere near.

• TroyGates says:

Ignore these trolls. If it isn't the flavor of the year smartphone company (Apple then Motorola then Samsung then ???) they just bash it. I don't really care if forum trolls like my phone or not, as long as I do.

• Iain Simpson says:

No other company will come close to matching the camera on this phone for a long time, other than Nokia themselves when we will get a quad core 1080 version of this probably in early 2014. MS have just said themselves that what is being released in fiscal year 2014 will be well ahead of the spec curve.

• Jay says:

So a better camera is what makes it better? The 2-gen-old processor, the older RAM tech, the lack of 1080p screen, the small battery, the old Bluetooth tech...all that doesn't matter, but hey a 41MP camera!!

Unless you're printing up billboard-sized pictures based off of pics from your smartphone, then 41mp means nothing to (imo) 98% of the people using smartphones.

• WP7Mango says:

You sound like a typical Android nerd...

Yes, a better camera coupled with better camera software is precisely what makes it better.

It doesn't matter what tech the RAM is because the 2GB RAM it comes with is fine. It doesn't matter that the screen isn't 1080p, because the 336 PPI 4.5" AMOLED screen is better than "retina" anyway, and it can be used whilst wearing gloves (which most other phones can't do).

Just like any current high-end Nokia Lumia, the performance is more than enough to give the user a fast and fluid experience.

The iPhone 5 isn't exactly top spec either - does it matter? Nope!

• Chris_Kez says:

If a superior camera is the point of differentiation, then yes a better camera is exactly what makes it better. And anyone who wants to print photos of any size or create really high-quality images with ease- and do it with a device they carry every day- could benefit from a larger sensor, OIS and advanced processing.

So do quad cores (or octa cores) or 2GB RAM mean anything to 98% of smartphone users since all they're doing is sending texts and emails, using social networks and playing Candy Crush?

• view2share says:

.. and they will find the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy 4 cameras do a very good job at taking photos. The 8 to 13 MP range is just fine, and the rest of specs on the PHONE are excellent. It is a phone and pocket computer, then a camera.

• Mihaita Bamburic says:

While I agree, to some extent, that hardware specifications are important, the fact is that the most important feature here is the camera and not something else.

Bar having a quad-core processor and a 1080p display, there isn't much that this one has and other high-end smartphone don't.

The real problem is whether the market really wants a high-end Windows Phone with such a camera, not whether the specs match those of the HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S4.

• TroyGates says:

Why do all smartphones need to be the same? This is a smartphone that emphasizes the camera as the main selling point. Not your desire, then find a different smartphone that matches your desire. Don't bad mouth it just because its not what you were looking for.

• Iain Simpson says:

why do they need to beat the spec of the G4 or ONE, with the specs it has it runs better then both of them and no one else will come close to beating this camera for quite some time.

2. view2share says:

Wow..............why?

Why what?

• view2share says:

41 MP camera? Something like an $800 to $900 phone? Really, my Nikon SLR 12.3 MP camera takes great photos. An iPhone 8MP takes really good photos - is that not more than good enough for a phone? Who needs such amount of data per snap on a phone. Is this trying to compensate for a lack of apps available on Windows Phones?

• WP7Mango says:

If you actually bothered to read about it, you'll understand why 41 MP. The Nokia 808 already showed the world how the 41 MP oversampling technology works, and the Lumia 1020 takes it a step further with optical image stabilisation and a much thinner profile. It takes superior pictures to the iPhone by a long way. It also allows you to zoom in to the picture after you have taken it, without losing any detail.

It's not about what's good enough - it's about making the best possible camera phone. It's about differentiating and offering something unique. It's about advancing technology in a way that is usable by everyone.

I have a Canon 500D SLR, but I don't take it with me everywhere. But I always have my phone. So, why is it a bad thing to want a phone which can take the best possible pictures? If I can have the best possible camera on my phone, which I have with me all the time, then why not?

• view2share says:

Price. It is like building out my Ford Focus for racing, just in case I am by Laguna Seca, and need to take it on the track. I think most would skip on that, should they have a track car already.

Since it is taken everywhere, this phone, it is subject to being stolen, or damaged more. I would rather have something around half the price should it be dropped, or stolen, or otherwise damaged. I want a simple and lightweight phone, with a rather simple to use camera. Do not wish for one costing more than my SLR sold for.

Would it be tempting for say $650 -- maybe. You still have a limited WP apps list to deal with. Of course Windows has its benefits, just like Android and iOS.

Perhaps as a halo product, should a person value the camera the most in a phone, Nokia has a winner. A narrow target, IMHO. Most look to other aspects of a phone.

• WP7Mango says:

Price - sure, but it's a flagship phone, so it's to be expected. If you want a phone which offers the best camera (by a long way), then it's going to be an ideal choice.

Tell me this - why bother putting 13 MP in the Galaxy S4 phone? Why bother putting Beats Audio in the HTC One? Why bother putting a 1080p screen in a phone?

• view2share says:

Not at $299 + contract. If a $650 phone, it would be something like $100 or less. And I agree, it will be a flagship camera which is also a phone ;)

I don't know why Samsung went 13MP, unless they just like the additional numbers to impress. It is not as good as the iPhone 8MP. Oh well. The best screen on a phone is a welcomed thing indeed, as your eyes will thank you for it --- so a good to great screen is a needed item on a smartphone. A top-line camera is a luxury. That said, people will be demanding better cameras as they use their phones more and more instead of a quality point and shoot. I may be old school, but I still find real cameras easier to use, and never go used to using that rear screen for viewer window.

Anyway, I am sure this Nokia will be a fine smartphone -- Nokias are solid builds.

• WP7Mango says:

When the iPhone 5 came out (and the 4) people started to talk about how the iPhone could replace your "point and shoot" camera. I remember reading several articles on the subject which were verging on "fanboism" in terms of their tone and the superlatives being used.

The Nokia Lumia 1020 is also designed to replace your "point and shoot" and should be reviewed in the same way, with a focus on photography.

• Jay says:

ok, photography requires longer battery life, and changeable lenses, and easy-swap memory cards. So, focusing on photography would hinder the reviews.

• WP7Mango says:

No it wouldn't hinder the reviews. The Nokia 808 with the older gen 41 MP camera already proved that a camera phone can be superior to a point-and-shoot, and in some cases even an SLR.

If anything, the reviews would be interesting to see exactly how it compares with dedicated cameras.

• Jay says:

"Photography doesn't necessarily require lens changing - that depends on the lens you are using and what you are photographing."

Uh, exactly dude, if you are a real photographer, and you're interested in "photography-focused" devices, you better be able to change lenses. No all lenses are created equal.

• WP7Mango says:

You can't change lenses on "point-and-shoots" either, and yet it's perfectly fine to review those!!! So why not review the Lumia 1020 in terms of it's photographic capabilities with it's fixed hardware? Seems perfectly fair to me!

• Jay says:

"Point-and-shoot" is a phrase NOT used positively in the photography community.

Review away!

• WP7Mango says:

Remember - the best camera is the one you have with you! I always have my phone with me, so the better the camera on it the more chance I have of taking a decent picture wherever I am.

I have a Canon 500D SLR with various lenses - but I rarely take it with me unless I'm wanting to shoot something specific.

• Jay says:

Touche.

But you must admit, overall - as a smartphone - compared to Android devices, the specs are severely lacking and WP8 devices are playing catch up.

• WP7Mango says:

Severely lacking? Not really. Slightly behind the very latest Android phones? Yes, but does it actually matter? It depends on what you want from a phone.

For example, in the winter I appreciate being able to use my phone with gloves on. It makes no difference to me whether it's a 1080p screen because 336 PPI is more than enough because I can't see the individual pixels. Likewise, I don't care whether it's got 1 core, 2 cores, 4 cores or 16 million cores - as long as the performance is great and the experience is fluid (which it is), that's all I care about. I want a decent camera on the phone, whatever the conditions, especially since many social photos are taken under adverse conditions. The HTC One has Beats Audio, but the Lumia has Dolby Surround. Guess what - they both sound great, but it also depends on the headphones you are using.

The primary use for my phone is for calls, texts, email, satnav, photos and web browsing. Do I really need a 64-core 8GB RAM 4k display phone for that? No of course not!

• Jay says:

two words "Future Resistant"

• WP7Mango says:

What for? Most people upgrade their phones every 12-24 months.

• Jay says:

And in that time, at least 2 new OSs have come out, hundreds of new apps that demand higher processing power. So when your 6 months in, you're not feeling left out.

For me, my Rezound is still kicking ass with a nice de-bloated ROM on it, but the graphics processing can't handle that Ironman3 game very well. That's how I knew it was time to start looking for a new phone. However, the Rezound is almost two years old yet it can beautifully run the latest android OS which is meant for a smartphone with twice the specs. So, if I wanted, I can still save my money another year and get a solid 3 years from this baby.

• WP7Mango says:

Sure, but I could have saved money by not upgrading from my Lumia 800, because it does everything I need. The main reason I upgraded to the Lumia 925 was because of the camera, and that's the main reason I will upgrade to the Lumia 1020 too.

That's my point - everyone has different requirements and not everyone needs the fastest most up-to-date hardware.

BTW, Modern Combat 4 runs great on my supposedly out-of-date Lumia 925 hardware - go figure! ;-)

• Chris_Kez says:

Sorry, but if you're playing the "spec war" then you will always feel left out in six months time. I have an iPhone 4 that seems to handle every recent app without any issue at all. And outside of a handful of games that require 1GB of memory, WP8 seems to run extremely well on even entry-level devices like the Nokia 521. If the OS and the apps are well-written, then using a two year old device should not be an issue.

I'm not even sure where people have gotten the idea that 1080 screens and quad core processors are the new norm. There are maybe a handful of Android devices in any retailer with those specs.

3. Brian Fagioli says:

Great device -- I want! I just think the price is a bit high.

• Iain Simpson says:

how much does a decent point and click camera cost and can it make phone calls?
      besides off contract it is the same price as other high end smart phones. which is perfect for everywhere else except the usa.

• view2share says:

My Nexus4 cost $299 unlocked. This would leave me with $600 to buy a great compact camera, which did not take calls ;) I have a Nikon SLR and Lumix for compact cameras.

• evan2k says:

Correct, but that's not the point. The point having a good camera, when you need it, without carrying 2 devices.

• view2share says:

Guess that would be the iPhone then. Should cost less than this Nokia phone, have more apps available and you can use it on T-Mobile.

• view2share says:

$150

4. ir0nw0lf says:

What a monumental f-up not putting a microSD slot in this thing... On other websites, I got blasted for the mention of this LOL. All I got was Skydrive, blah blah. Not an acceptable answer. Going to turn a lot of people off because of this.

• C64 says:

Aren't Microsoft and their partners just full of monumental f-ups? :) Combined with the price & ugly UI = nothing fantastic

• WP7Mango says:

The UK version is rumoured to have 64GB, which should be sufficient, especially since the actual saved image size is 5-8 mpx, not 41 mpx.

5. Xuanlong says:

I love Windows Phone, but I really feel like Nokia blew it with this one. The only marquee feature of this Windows Phone is the camera, that aside it's really a middling device by today's standards. And honestly, who needs 41 megapixels anyway? I sure don't. My current smartphone has 5, and while I'm often disappointed by its camera performance, 8 to 12 would really be plenty for me. At $300 on a contract, it just seems like you're paying a lot for pure overkill on the camera. Your average consumer just is not going to pay that much more for something with so little benefit. I'll probably buy the 1020 because I'm due for a new phone, and it is the latest and greatest Windows Phone, but I'd honestly rather have the Lumia 925 if it were available on my carrier.

• skruis says:

Well, the thing about the 41MP isn't that it creates such a beautiful image and that you absolutely need every one of those pixels. It's that with that amount of pixels and that sensitive of a sensor on a smartphone, you can take a quick pic and then zoom/adjust it later because you have all of that data in the picture taken at the time. So ... it adds some flexibility but whether or not that's important to you is, well, up to you :-)

• TroyGates says:

This is not an average, everyday consumer smartphone. Its a unique smartphone targeted towards those that want the best possible camera in their smartphone. Variety is much better than everyone buying the same phone as everyone else.

• view2share says:

Good point. Seems like a rather narrow target however. So far it looks like the 521, at $130 is hitting a good sized target. How about something in the $300 to $400 unlocked phone price with a good 8MP camera, in a Windows Phone -- would be a larger market, and MOST people would find that a great camera pixel and uploading wise. Windows Phone has more apps now, but still is lacking many very popular apps, on down to more local apps, like local news apps, which people desire. I think they have a hit with the Nokia 520 / 521, and need a good hit with a $400 phone as well. For the range of $600 or higher, most people are still looking to buy Samsung Galaxy 4 or and iPhone.

• WP7Mango says:

"How about something in the $300 to $400 unlocked phone price with a good 8MP camera, in a Windows Phone"

That's where the 720 and 920 fit in, although 720 only has 6.7 MP. 920 has 8.7 MP with OIS, as does the 925 and 928.

• TroyGates says:

The 92x series is meant to compete with iPhone and Galaxy 4. The new 1020 is aimed at a market that hasn't really been targeted before, photo enthusiasts. While the iPhone and Galaxy 4 have good cameras for a smartphone, its not a focus. The 1020 has the camera as a focus, so mostly people that want the best possible camera in the smartphone would be looking at it.

• Xuanlong says:

I don't deny that. But from a strategic perspective, it just seems like a misstep for Nokia. If they had packed some hardware on par with the HTC One or Galaxy S4 into a polycarbonate shell with a modest camera of 8 to 12 megapixels and a lower price tag, I think they'd have a real winner. But at $300 with a contract, unless you're a total photography buff, or you want to have the latest and greatest Windows Phone, why pay that much. It's probably a good $100 or more over the latest and best Android devices, and it doesn't seem like that extra $100 gets you anything more than megapixels. I love the Lumia 1020, but in a retail setting next to other phones, it's a very tough sell. And for a struggling company like Nokia, that's dangerous. Sales are what they need, so if these things don't sell, they're really in a lot of trouble.

6. smist08 says:

I think the cellular carriers would love this one. Imagine the data charges uploading these pictures. I hope uploading to facebook cuts the resolution before uploading.

7. montessa says:

At long last. A rip snorter. This has made my day
    As a very keen photographer, this is the phone I've been waiting for. As usual with these sort of devices there is always something that we wish they added (I'm a photographer after all and there are always better cameras around the corner) like a 1920x 1080 HD screen, Micro SD card slot etc but I can live without those features. It's the camera I want and especially with Windows Phone OS.
    Now all I have to do is swallow a heap of patience pills while us Aussies wait, presumably months for this darling to turn up here.

• Patrick Gallagher says:

why would anyone ask for a 1080p screen on a phone? seriously, the pixel density is far beyond what the human eye can even come close to seeing, it offers no visible benefit, but it uses more power and reduces battery life. It's a marketing ploy with no meaning. Just a worthless gimmick that offers no value to anyone alive (at least, anyone human, and last I checked eagles don't use phones).

8. Peeed Off says:

Now that is seriously one Motherflocking FUGLY Phone...MS/Nokia Fail once more...!!!

9. Minecraft says:

It is a good information and can satisfy the user a more comprehensive way.