Windows XP

The hack I wrote about yesterday, that allows XP users to continue to receive security updates via the still-supported Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, was never going to get Microsoft’s blessing. Obviously it is a slightly unusual and risky way of cheating the system, even though it works.

ZDNet picked up on the story and asked Microsoft for a comment, and as you’d expect, the devices and services giant was happy to take the opportunity to suggest XP users just move on.

Microsoft said:

We recently became aware of a hack that purportedly aims to provide security updates to Windows XP customers. The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers. Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP. The best way for Windows XP customers to protect their systems is to upgrade to a more modern operating system, like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Interestingly, in saying the updates "do not fully protect Windows XP customers", Microsoft is admitting that they will at least partially provide some protection, which XP users won’t otherwise receive. Of course there are risks in installing updates that aren’t designed purely for XP, so if you do use this method it’s definitely worth making sure you backup your system, and maybe be selective about which updates you install.

59 Responses to Microsoft warns against XP update hack -- suggests users 'upgrade to Windows 8.1' instead

1. GumbyDammit! says:

Microsoft recommend you give them money? Shocking.

• Eric Sleeper says:

Horrible that any business would want money. Horrible I tell you :)
      Giving you a hard time - but thinking about it. Does any business model just want one time customers?

• Zootopia3000 says:

Does any business want to piss off customers? MS pissed off a great percentage of users. Now we see that XP could have lived on with updates, at least until April 2016. I have a feeling the hacked updates between 2016 and 2019 will not work properly on XP. I won't be surprised when MS plugs that loophole hack soon. First stab, then twist, that seems to be MS's motto of late.

• Eric Sleeper says:

Does it matter if you piss off people that don't spend money Seriously - I know it sounds horrible to ask the question, but in the big picture these aren't customers you want for any business (repeat customers is desirable).

Someone that can't afford a 350 dollar PC (making very little profit for MS or the System builder) is all it takes, and that is new PC. You can get a good used Windows 7 Desktop (clean install) for around 125-150 bucks.

To be honest, I would recommend a ChromeOS laptop for this people. Money is tight, their needs are probably low, zero malware issues...which save time and money. Or get a Kindle Fire :)

• Zootopia3000 says:

Don't spend money? Those very same XP users probably bought and use a Windows 7 or 8.x laptop or possibly a Windows phone in place of their desktop. Or they just might have a spare XP desktop for the bedroom(s), with the newer desktop in the den or wherever they place their main household PC.

• Eric Sleeper says:

Fair Point - I'm sure their is a percentage that you are correct about.

And all I can think about is they should have bought it at 40 dollars (LOL). Or soon, they can upgrade to a free Windows Bing :)

• lvthunder says:

So how long should Microsoft give these people support. XP is 4 versions old. It is also 13 years old. Try asking Dell for a part for a 13 year old computer.

• Zootopia3000 says:

Clearly we can see that MS is still doing updates for XP. XP had 30% of the market at end-of-life. Would not have killed MS to at least provide support until April 2016. It's not like WMP has needed that many updates of late.

• lvthunder says:

So in an environment where software is usually supported for 3-4 years you expect 15 out of Microsoft. And people wonder why companies like Microsoft and Adobe want software subscriptions.

• Zootopia3000 says:

MS clearly could have asked for money to provide extended support for XP. Maybe a fee of $49 to get them to year 2019. MS didn't even offer Windows 7 as an option, being they no longer provide new Windows 7 options. Gotta find a Windows 7 disk on eBay now.

• Zootopia3000 says:

BTW, what 3-4 year software support are you talking about?

• lvthunder says:

Try getting a new patch for software that is 3-4 years old. Especially if there is a newer version available.

• Bob Grant says:

Go get an OEM disk from Newegg.

• lvthunder says:

So now you want 18 years of support? I don't even think the LTS Linux distros are supported that long.

• barely_normal says:

No, that is too little for the span of time. I think that $30/year would be the sweet spot, and for $50, include 1 support incident. I truly believe it would have been a money maker for Microsoft, and a huge PR win. It would be very popular with many that I know.

• Michael Lashinsky says:

I can replace every single part in a dell computer except the motherboard, (and I have a co-worker that replaces blown capacitors.)

XP is the most complete version of Windows there ever was or ever will be. M$ has had 13 years to make it right. They abandoned Windows 7 already. They replaced 8 with 8.1, and I am sure they have been working on 9 for a long time. XP is matured and is still a very good OS to use. There are a few features in 7 I would like to bring to XP. There are also a few features in XP I would like to bring to 7, so it evens out.

Software development is a cycle that usually includes shipping software before it is ready, throwing a few patches at it, and getting the next version out the door before that is ready. The users never get a finished version. M$ does it. Solidworks does it. Nearly every software company does it. It is a crappy way to run a business!

• lvthunder says:

I didn't say you couldn't. I said Dell wouldn't be able to sell you parts for a computer that old. Support for a product only lasts so long. I think 13 years for a piece of software is enough.

• Michael Lashinsky says:

But they are already writing the patches anyway! They offer paid support, and charge out the butt for it! Any patch only has to be written once. If M$ offered paid support at a reasonable price, they could sell that already written patch a lot of times. (But M$ doesn't want to make money and make people happy. They only want to make money and make people unhappy. There's a business plan!)

• lvthunder says:

To be able to get those patches you have to submit a transition plan to move off of XP to Microsoft. If you don't cut people off they would never move. XP was good, but it is time to move on.

• Michael Lashinsky says:

OK, that is a good answer. I will only add one thing.

If your needs are humble, and you use some common sense, XP can continue to be more than adequate for many people and many uses. One does not need the latest and greatest to surf the web and check a webmail account. When it stops being adequate, (or stops being fun,) that is the time to move on. Some people can make that last longer because they know how. ( I still surf the web on an XP laptop. I didn't get any malware on it before, and I am not getting any now.) Others will make it last longer because they simply don't demand enough power or cutting edge software to warrant it. (It doesn't take a lot of horsepower to check Yahoo! Mail, and doesn't require every new web standard either.) Those people can probably go a few more years before it becomes an issue for them.

I don't want anyone else to tell me what I need. I NEED Windows 7 at work because I support Windows 7 users. I DO NOT NEED anything newer or faster at home. My old computers and Windows XP do everything I need them to do. As soon as that changes, I'll upgrade.

Thanks for replying.

• Starman8080 says:

Yes you are right, the number of features missing from Windows 7 that are included in XP is almost staggering. 7 is good but still being steadily dumbed-down. 8 on the other hand is a horribly dumbed-down version of 7...

• Doski says:

Most here see Two Mistakes with your arguments. 1) Vista and 8 were basically BETA Tests thrust upon the unsuspecting public. 2) Buying from Dell (a Proprietary Hardware Manufacturer) locked you into Situational Dependence of YOUR OWN Choosing. Nobody to blame here but yourself.

I have 2 computers still operating without incident, which are quite productive using a LINUX O/S, despite the O/S being UN-supported for over 5 years. And YES they access the Internet, frequently.

• lvthunder says:

So use Windows 7 or 8.1 if you think Vista and 8 were beta tests and you want support. I was making the argument that support doesn't last forever. It doesn't matter if it's your computer or your car.

• Doski says:

While obviously (time since released related) not as practiced on 8, I have machines which run XP, 7, and 8, which quite frankly dispels other's argument regarding repeat business. That said I'll move on to the whole point of my earlier post.

Folks have long tolerated the Lemons produced and marketed by M$ in hope of actually and eventually receiving VALUE in return for their Expenditures and Tolerance. Instead they continue to be deceived, abused, defrauded and insulted by such Protected Billion Dollar Corporations.

Sadly your comments seem to indicate you support such abuses and CHOOSE to ignore them as such. On such matters I CHOOSE to keep my eyes wide open and call such abusers out for that sort of behavior. Production and the Promotion of "A Lemon", unless one is in the fruit business, morally obligates its producer to address it failings as needed to attain its "Promotional Claims" and NOT just change its Name with the intent of furthering the fraud perpetrated. (case in point . . . Vista + more Required $$$$ = 7 and 8 which is licensed/locked to a particular COMPUTER + even more Required $$$$ = 8.1 if your not the original owner)

Yep, even though M$ locks-in W-8 to the computer, the computer doesn't rate the supposed free upgrade if it's registered to a previous owner, YET as its current owner the original W-8 License extends to me. I'm "Graciously Allowed" UPDATES but Not the UPGRADE need to fix that LEMON. "Deceived, abused, defrauded and insulted" all apply.

• lvthunder says:

You say Vista and 8 were lemons. I didn't have a problem with either one of them. In fact I was happy to upgrade to both of them.

• barely_normal says:

Those same people who might not want to move away from XP may have otherwise spent money on other things from Microsoft.

Strangely, many think that people do not want to upgrade because of the cost, instead disallowing the possibility that dislike of the newer looks of Vista, 7, and 8.x, or simple INERTIA, could be the reason.

These people who may be customers for Xboxes, mice, keyboards, or other things from MS may think twice about a purchase, since the company cares so little about the treatment of existing customers.

• Eric Sleeper says:

I can understand that with Vista and 8 :) But Windows 7 rocks :)

It's a good point too but I think the majority of XP home users is 3 things: Cost, Can't find Program disk to re-install something, knowledge (how to get their stuff from one PC to the next...like photos).

I guess their could be a lot of reasons, without stats it would be guessing. From my experience, it's cost or simply the PC is not as useful as it was (they all have iPads and kick ass smartphones). But in the end, if it's something they still need to use, they should upgrade.

Of course, it would be easier to justify if Windows 9 was out :)

• Zootopia3000 says:

"Of course, it would be easier to justify if Windows 9 was out :)"

That's it! The timing of end-of-life for XP is all wrong. MS says to update to Windows 7 or 8.1, but MS is not officially offering up Windows 7 anymore. Windows 8 is the Vista and ME of its time.

• Eric Sleeper says:

Also a good point. Than again, XP coming to an end wasn't hidden knowledge either. Windows 8 Desktop is great, Windows Modern UI and how it worked with the desktop is ME (I still think Vista was a tad better then ME...)

• barely_normal says:

Not certain there is ANY indication that Microsoft has any intentions of returning to sanity, as their journey into the far end of the intestinal tract seems on course for the next few years - noted Microsoft watchers like MaryJo Foley have given nothing about a return to the look and feel of Windows 7 [which is, after all, what most people wish for] or a splitting of the OS into two - mobile and desk/laptop. This would be best, and it was only MS laziness that forced a joining of the two.

• Starman8080 says:

Yes, I would even prefer Vista over the default user interface of 8/8.1!

• Starman8080 says:

Actually all indications is that they will work on XP until 2019, as POSReady 2009 basically is XP, just with some components taken out and other software added in. Yes they may plug the loophole, but then hackers will likely find another way around it...

• GumbyDammit! says:

Go away, Microbot. If I wanted to hear from an astroturfer, I'd call someone on an NFL stadium grounds crew.

• Eric Sleeper says:

Funny - I don't understand most of what you put but assume it was meant to be funny. Oh wait, is this old person humor?

• GumbyDammit! says:

No, it's me pegging you as either the Greatest, Politest Microsoft Fanboy of All Time(tm), or a paid Microsoft shill. I can't say which is worse. While I haven't commented on many of your posts, they're all the same: fawning praise, spin and shinola for Microsoft, and sly, backhanded jabs at MS's competitors. Usually fanboys are all froth and vitriol, but you seem to go out of your way to be jovial so as to not cast your patron in a negative light. That's the mark of a professional.

• Eric Sleeper says:

Wow - I thought my post after your 1st post was pretty honest and not even Pro Microsoft but Pro business. But that last post is easily true of me if someone doesn't know me.

I am all for Google, Microsoft and Apple, I use products and services from all of them. A bit down this year on Android for sure, and that comes across. But I'm taking from experience and not blind hatred (my primary phone is a Nexus 4). But I also posted a couple days ago about getting rid of my Windows PC (as I'm moving my gaming to the big screen PS4 and XB1), and really love my iPad Air (but still want more...like USB, HDMI Out).

But you are grossly over complicating me, I'm more simple (and true...jovial...I'm almost always in a good mood).

• Doski says:

In the beginning it was about VALUE. Now that they've become Corporate Giants it's all about MONEY.

Nothing shocking about the worship of GREED, except the number of ignorant and delusional folks who CHOOSE to ignore such facts.

2. Zootopia3000 says:

"The security updates...do not fully protect Windows XP customers."

So folks won't be receiving Windows Media Player updates. Do XP users still use that player?

• barely_normal says:

Some do.

• Zootopia3000 says:

WMP 11 and under severely lacks for today's media content, without third party codecs of course. WMP 12 was a big step forward, only really lacks mkv support by default now.

• john smith says:

IMNSHO, WMP is, and has always been, bloatware.

Here's the solution: K-Lite Codec Pack

And along with everything else under the sun, "media player classic" (included with all packages above "basic") also handles your mkv files "out of the box". :-)

• Doski says:

Try out VLC for Window$. A bit less "Flashy" but gets the job done !

3. coakl says:

One caveat: If you switch the registry to identify yourself as a POS embedded system, Win Update will try to send you ALL POS embedded updates that you don't have. Including the ones before April 8. That's a 100+ patches or several hundred MB's of stuff.
    Before you try this trick, switch automatic updates to "Notify but don't download or install", then read the MS security bulletin to find the exact KB number of the post-April 8 update that you want. In the automatic updates pop-up box, pick just those KB numbers.

Another caveat: Some MS patches rely on earlier patches. If you don't install all of the earlier POS updates (pre-April 8), the newer POS updates might not work or crash XP.
    But the more POS updates you install, the more likely you will run into problems.
    Your machine will look a Borg drone (some XP, some POS).

To me, this is all seems risky. I prefer other defenses: EMET, avoiding Flash and Adobe Reader, Firefox with Noscript, ad blocking HOSTS file, and setting my DNS to Symantec Norton Safeweb (still free).

• Starman8080 says:

Actually you are somewhat mistaken, as only 4 updates came up on my fully-patched XP Pro machine, the ones released for May. It does not appear to be too risky, and I'm trying it on my systems before rolling it out to customers who are still running XP

4. Slavic says:

In this case, Microsoft is right, because lack of internal testing of these updates on XP machines may cause significant issues and incompatibilities with the software which was not intended for POS terminals. Some patches may even cause the system instability. Users who go such way become the involuntary beta testers without any option to send a feedback. Russian roulette :-(

• Doski says:

"Compatibility Issues and Instability", REALLY, that's you arguments for trashing thousands of dollars of usable equipment and software ?

Window$ users have been dealing with those issues for a decade. Besides, didn't M$ develop a program (System Restore) specifically to deal with those issues ?

In reference your "Involuntary Beta Tester" argument's credibility, please take a moment to Consider and explain M$'s launching Window$ 2000, M. E., Vista, and 8 on the "Involuntary Beta Testing Public" ! . . . I guess that's different because those folks actually paid extra to become unwitting victims.

5. James LaBarre says:

"Upgrading to Win8.1" is only an option if your hardware is capable of running it. If you have one of those relatively recent processors that still didn't have PAE and/or NX support in the processor, you will never be able to run Win8.x *at all*. In which case you might as well install LinuxMint's LMDE version, and have something that will continue to be supported for years.

6. nilst2011 says:

XP and PosReady 2009 have the exactly same updates. Microsoft try to scare their users.

Ofcourse they say it is a bad idea to use the hack, they want people to move to Windows 8 and later Windows 9.

Still there are many users that can't leave XP due to software incompability with later Windows versions. As a musician i build my music studio in XP due to the fact that much of my studio software won't work in Vista and later.

Microsoft should really re-think their poor strategy about security for their customers and continue to ship updates to XP SP3 and XP x64 SP2 for a smaller amount of yearly pay. I would happily pay for more security.

They could drop the buggy Windows 8.x and create an expanded XP version, and name it like XP Gold.

7. Starman8080 says:

This shows how arbitrary Microsoft's decision to cut off XP's updates really was. The fools in Redmond continue to hammer away on the Windows 8.1 bandwagon, as though the majority of XP users are actually going to do that....

8. john smith says:

Folks really ought to stop getting their panties in a bunch.

MS is in the business of developing software, and they are dealing with win 7 and 8 at the moment. Windows XP had a long and glorious run, but as a business decision, MS had to draw the line somewhere. Even then, that line kept getting redrawn for years, and I think MS did a damned good job of submitting to the will of the masses who refused to give up their XP. Thank you, Bill!! :-)

But XP's time is past from a developer's standpoint, and we have to get over it.

Now that said, I'm one of those who will still stick with my XP until hell freezes over. For that matter, my main machine will always be a desktop. My major beef is that no MS browser beyond IE8 will run on XP, so I have to find alternatives because let's face it, IE8 has died in the flood of newer html technology.

But XP is still a rock solid and dependable OS. I think it's the best that MS ever came out with, which is why I'll hang onto it until hardware come along that XP can't handle.

And while MS's attention to support was appreciated, I don't *NEED* them. All I need to support my own system are common sense, AVG free, and a ghosted copy of my XP system ready to get me back up and running in about 15 minutes time should all else fail.

Keep in mind that not only has MS moved on to 7 and 8, but so have the hackers. The return on hacking XP systems is dwindling so rapidly that it will soon be about as useful as hacking windows 98 machines.

• Johnny Shiloh says:

Why do you need Internet Explorer? I don't have it on my Windows 7 at all, uninstalled it, and never use it on XP unless going to Windows Update which now is a moot point.

9. JasonWoodward says:

I only became involved with computers at a late age and my son, who virtually grew up with them started me with the older Windows, "upgrading" me with each new version of Windows. I absolutely loved XP - it was stable, it was very user-friendly, and then my house was broken into and my machine stolen, so after my insurance paid out, I had to get a new computer. Oh-GRIEF - it had Win 7 on it and I asked my son to please take that off and replace it with XP - he flatly refused, saying: "Look, firstly XP will become obsolete eventually, and besides, you need your continue exercising your brain so that you don't get Alzheimer's, so the answer is "NO!!!"
    Now, that was back in 2011, and I'm still trying to navigate my way through the finer points of 7 - which - I may add - also gives me grief inasmuch as every now and then I get a bloe blue screen and it takes its own time to pull itself out of the mess, and I also get frequent Display Driver shutdowns - ok, nothing long-term duration, but damned annoying, to say the least. I told Son I absolutely refuse to upgrade to Win 8 - I've been reading a lot of negative reports about it and - hooray! - he doesn't like it either!!!
    BTW, my name isn't Jason - I just use that name as a nom-de-plume - I am - in fact - an 80-year old lady, and yes, it is the honest truth.

• Doski says:

Possible solutions for you exists and I have employed them for my 84 yr. old mother and 65 yr. old sister.

For security reasons using XP on line has become dangerous. For those of us who have many thousands invested in additional XP based software and hardware simply upgrading ignores the cost of replacing existing additional software and compatibility issues experienced in migrating data from Windows XP to more current O/S editions.
      Because of their ages and relative lack of the Tech knowledge necessary to pursue more extravagant and complicated solutions the avenue we chose was . . . Dual Booting (explained further below) LINUX for Internet security, speed, and flexibility with Window$ XP for Legacy program use and file maintenance service needs. In other words, they are able to continue to use their existing equipment and XP based software to continue business as usual EXCEPT when using the Internet. For that they simply reboot into LINUX which allows a more secure environment for engaging in everyday "On-Line" chores and passions.
      While there is "Virtual Machine", which allows one to use both operating systems simultaneously, it is not my first choice for recommending to the "faint of heart" or less Tech savvy amongst us. I only mention it so others who might read this posting know that there are solutions which also fit their needs.

It's important to understand that backing up all your data should be your first and foremost action before proceeding in any way. Once that's accomplished you always have a way back in case issues arise. That includes Hardware Failures of aging machines. infections by Mal-ware or even operator error. Secondly, since we are all different creatures with varying needs and habits LINUX "Provides" the various solutions which, with it flex-ability and seemingly unbounded adapt-ability (also read as custom-ability) , allows each of us to personalize our own equipment to fit our individual need and desires. Only "Unwarranted FEAR" of the term "Different" restricts us from knowing the pleasures of life's rewarding personal growth in all categories, computing included. Don't allow "other's fears" to rule your decisions. LINUX really isn't so different. Besides, most versions of LINUX (referred to as "Distros", short for Distributions) have what's known as "Live" capabilities, which allow one to try-out each of them before deciding on which Distro best suits our individual needs without making changes of any kind to your computer during your "Live" evaluation.
      Dual Booting . . . is simply having a "Side-by-Side" installation of two Operating Systems on the same computer. It allows the use of both (each as needed or desired), from the same machine, just NOT at the same time. Virtual Machine, however, makes simultaneous use of both a reality.
      Both of these variations do offer better security environments for legacy versions and even current versions of Windows while reducing the need for, cost of, and unintended consequences of buying and installing additional security programs. Unfortunately for many, "Virtual Machine" is NOT an viable solution for computers with smaller amounts of RAM (< 1Gig) or some old hardware. Don't let that scare you though, "Dual Booting" works well in those situations while extending the useful life of your current computer. Some of my computers date back to the year 2000 and they ALL function better and faster on LINUX than they ever did on Windows for which they were designed and built.

By the Way, 7-1/2 years of LINUX use and other than one "Hardware" (a Hard Drive) failure my personal choices of LINUX distros have NEVER caused an unresolvable issue. Probably 99% of any issues I faced were resolved with a simple Reboot and none resulted in a loss of data or previous work.

Oddly what really encourages me to share such solutions is being harped on, by those who I've helped find these solutions, for NOT being more aggressive in converting them EARLIER ! Go Figure.

• john smith says:

"For security reasons using XP on line has become dangerous."

Oh HOGWASH!!!

Who are you trying to kid, and why? There's not a damned thing wrong with XP, and I use it on-line and off with complete impunity.

Quit flapping your arms with your fearmongering blather.

And PS: I'm 65 and wouldn't let you within 50 feet of my system.

• Doski says:

Basic design flaws on all Windows Operating Systems through W-7 do make it Necessary to have your O/S backed up in some fashion. Obviously you know that as you keep a "Ghosted Copy" to insure you can use XP "on-line and off with impunity.". The question that bring to mind is . . . If it's that "Rock Solid" then why would you need a Ghosted Copy in the first place ?

Unlike you, the average user is ill-informed, and lacks the motivation to Prepare for the unthinkable. Yes, it's their fault for not Investing the time, effort, and money to insure their computers well being. And, yes the practicing of some simple measures and applying some Not-so-common sense will avoid most issues, just N O T - A L L ! So, what you view as fear-mongering I view as Applied Motivational Paranoia for the unprepared and technically challenged masses.

Regarding you not letting me within 50 feet of your system, that could be viewed as commendable as long as that same attitude is applied equally to NON-tech savvy individuals regardless of age or relation. Many a computer have been rendered at least temporarily useless in the blink of an eye by curious 3 yr. olds. I know this because I have been frequently prevailed upon to fix dozens of them.

• john smith says:

"If [XP is] that "Rock Solid" then why would you need a Ghosted Copy in the first place ?"

Don't be ridiculous.

I have a ghosted copy for the same damned reason that you still have your "original installation" disks for your particular OS as well as your peripheral driver disks for your hardware and the installation disks for various software you own (and which, FWIW, I also still have).

Ghosting is simply a faster and less aggravating, even if geekier, way of restoring a system in the event of a catastrophe - which could come from anything from malicious software to hardware failure.

There is NO SUCH THING as a bulletproof system and you damned well know it. But your system is no more immune to failure than mine, and both of us have restoration procedures in place because we'd be idiots not to.

@"what you view as fear-mongering I view as Applied Motivational Paranoia for the unprepared and technically challenged masses."

Ummm...no. I call your assertion that "using XP on line has become dangerous" nothing more than "fearmongering". I am in no more danger going online with my XP today than I was 10 years ago.

• Johnny Shiloh says:

I LOVE XP, but finally gave in to the hype and fear mongering and bought a Windows 7 on eBay, so I can boot into XP or 7. I'm very familiar with 7, but use XP 97% of the time. I tend to agree with you - I've never heard of someone's bank account being compromised because they were using Windows Me, or Windows 98, let alone XP.

• Johnny Shiloh says:

I think your son should have respected his mother's wishes and installed XP for her.

10. Jeff Morse says:

Did MS honestly think a simple reg hack like that wouldn't be found to trick Windows Update? As long as they have a variant of XP out there being patched users will find a way to apply it to XP in general. The platitudes by their sales staff are expected and typical. I'm going to go to my retired aunt's house (living on social security and nothing else) and patch her six year old XP PC very soon. It still does exactly what she needs - browsing and word processing.