Windows 10 build 10022 screenshots leak along with 10014 release notes

Windows 10 build 10022 screenshots leak along with 10014 release notes

It has been a few weeks since Microsoft released the Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9926, and Windows Insiders are now champing at the bit for the next version. Mobile users have been kept happy with the release of Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones, but desktop and laptop users now have some more snippets to whet their appetites.

Over the weekend, screenshots from a couple of new builds were leaked online by the renowned Wzor. First of all we were treated to a glimpse of build 10014, and shortly afterwards images of Windows 10 Professional Technical Preview Build 10022 appeared. Another revelation is a set of release note relating to build 10014. So what do we have to look forward to?

The leaked versions are Russian -- as is so often the case -- and it seems that not a great deal has changed since build 9926. Wzor is a trusted leaker of Windows builds, and the screenshots appear to indicate that the changes in these most recent builds are largely under the hood; there are few discernible visual differences. What is particularly interesting is that the build 10022 leak comes from the fbl_impressive branch of releases, meaning that this is very likely to be the next publicly released preview build.

On Twitter, Wzor introduced the screenshots as being from a "localized Russian version of Windows Professional 10 TP Build 10022.0.150216-2206".

The same source is also responsible for bringing us the release notes for build 10014. The release notes are dated February 11 and were given to Microsoft partners. They confirm the idea that the next public build will focus on improving stability, but there are a couple of notable changes:

• In File Explorer, a maximum of four items can be displayed in frequent folders.
  • If OneDrive is set as the default save location, Documents and Pictures will be remapped to the OneDrive versions of these folders.

The list of big fixes is rather lengthier, but there are still a few known issues. Cortana is still a work in progress, the Quiet Hours feature doesn’t yet work, battery levels may be incorrectly reported on portable devices, and so on.

It's not clear if these will have been ironed out in the move from build 10014 to 10022, but it shouldn't be too long until we get to see for ourselves.

Photo credit: Wzor

94 Responses to Windows 10 build 10022 screenshots leak along with 10014 release notes

1. UglyStuff says:

I knew the expression "chomping at the bit", but "champing at the bit" is new to me... Aside from that, please tell me that they got rid of the hideous burnt-orange folder icons...!

• Mark Wilson says:

Champing is correct ('champ' meaning to bite/grind teeth as a horse does to the bit in its mouth). Chomping is used more often, but it's not really right.

No news on the icons yet, but I'm with you! Hopefully we'll see some changes on that front soon :)

2. wdeda says:

There are two things I would like to see in the next build: every time I open the file explorer have to reposition the window, never open in the same position; the default programs, even if you install a new program, for example, an image editor, the default is still a damn app, of course I'm talking about desktop. Microsoft continues to insist that tablets, smartphones and PC are the same, but overall I am satisfied, there is hope.

• barely_normal says:

I'm not certain how you can hold out hope, when, every time I use this Preview, I am more convinced the asylum is wide open, with all the nutballs running loose.

I spent the better part of 3 hours the other night responding to the problems with the UI, where lack of a right click opportunity made it much more difficult, or impossible to do that which was falling-from-a-log simple in previous versions of Windows [7, Vista, XP...]

• wdeda says:

First we must remember that is a preview, just so I do hope it will improve. Just check the error messages, fewer, in event viewer to realize that the current focus is on stability. It seems sarcasm or joke, but Internet explorer crashes in the Microsoft page, always!

3. tom says:

The more I use Win10 the less I like it.

• Eric Sleeper says:

I am just the opposite. The more I use it, the more I can't stand going back to Windows 8.1 (and Windows 7 just seems outdated now).

• barely_normal says:

Really? Windows 7 looks like something from 2050 compared to the flat, lifeless, square-cornered look of 9926, or Windows Ate...

Or perhaps you don't have a good video card and monitor...

• Eric Sleeper says:

LOL - Not in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I loved Windows 7 GUI when it came out (it was a more polished and thought out Vista) and it really made XP look dated. That is what is happening now when I work in Windows 7. Plus at work, there is a GPO that forces Windows 7 to basic (which is also pretty flat), it's easy on remote control tools and RDP through Citrix.

Top that off, it's not only Microsoft that has gone flat, you see it everywhere - it's a trend it seems. However, it will be impossible to please everyone. And it's good people like you are vocal so we get the evolution. Flat is OK, they added drop shadows in 10, and I think you had a post about transparency coming.

• barely_normal says:

Ever hear the story about the lemmings, and an approaching cliff?

Following the crowd is seldom a good thing, if there is no cogent reason to do so. Just because Apple did it is hardly a reason for MS to do it. Besides, no one I know is asking for Aero on a phone or tablet. On the desktop is where it is at home, and only thoughts of pushing people to bend to their sloppy and lazy programming practices is what made the changes seem a good idea.

Had Microsoft asked ANYONE outside of Redmond, before screwing the pooch on Windows Ate, many things could have been different, jobs saved, upgrades to the latest OS been done, and less wailing and gnashing of teeth all around.

• Hecc-MA says:

It's got top security, stability, it's almost bug-free (I'm amazed almost no errors so far and it's a Tech Preview), I guess I can give up some small features from Win 7.

I tought I'd regret testing Win 10, MS really changed my mind, I'm willing to pay a license, if it's not too expensive. I have two PC's, but one of them qualifies to get a free copy.

• alex5723 says:

"It's got top security" ?
        It got the same security holes from win2000/NT, xp...
        Nothing has changed.

• Kelsett says:

What security holes are you talking about?

• Tony Parlione says:

the ones in his ass lol

• Hecc-MA says:

Have it your way, but that's hardly the reality.

• InceptionSalt says:

If Windows has had the same security holes since Windows 2000, none of us would be using it... Including you.

• Yanta says:

Well, actually, a lot has changed, but not for the better. Collection of information about everything on your computer and everything you do (whether anonymized or not), is sold off to third parties. Cloud, MS accounts, Cortana, Search, Spartan... All of these have degraded and eroded security, privacy and online safety.

How the argument is justified is by saying that people's understanding and perception of privacy has changed. For example, Facebook has none, and people who use it are generally ok with that. Heck, there are even the trolls that come up with the stupid saying "If you do nothing wrong you have nothing to hide". These lower the bar for privacy expectations

• tom says:

I wouldn't call it bug free. I couldn't even use the previous build because of a hard drive spin up issue and now this build has a video card driver issue. I have it installed on a spare laptop that is now stashed in the corner until the new update is out. I'm not fond of the UI either.

4. TheCyberKnight says:

Troubling.
    It seems the atrocious Frankenstein UX remains intact in this newer build.

• Hecc-MA says:

A lot easier to ignore than that mounstrous Start Screen, here you get the option to maximize/restore.

And super bar is still here.

• barely_normal says:

And likely will stay, as Microsoft is much like a petulant child these days, and wants us to "have it their way".

The VERY WORST thing about the UI I see is the deprecation of the right click. This is anathema to anyone who has even a passing familiarity with previous Windows versions.

5. Kevin Danker says:

I want to be able to resize the start menu and have a faster way to find an App in that big long list in said menu.

• Yanta says:

Ditto. A start menu should be unobtrusive. The W10 hybrid-menu is almost a full screen, totally eclipsing everything else. On a 27" monitor its terrible.

• pauliusval99 says:

Actually it only spans 1/4 of the screen (like if you divide it in half horizontally and then in half vertically) on my 11" tablet screen with already increased DPI... I think it depends more on the resolution than the screen size. What is your screen resolution?

• Yanta says:

1920x1080. Nothing out of the ordinary

When 9926 came out the first thing I did was uninstall/remove all the live tiles/"modern" apps. At that point I had a menu that was almost as tall as the screen, and extended to almost the halfway across, and I couldn't resize it. (was that a bug?).

But for people who like the live tiles and have lots of them their menus take up most of the screen. Even the leaked shots show a menu that consumes significant screen real estate.

Still, I'm assuming classic shell and others will release compatible versions, so there may well be options.

• pauliusval99 says:

The one you see in the screen shots is the maximized start menu. There is a re size button near the power button.And I don't understand why you hate modern apps so much. you don't need to uninstall them, just unpin. Them from start

• Yanta says:

Ahh.. Ok, I noticed in 9926 I could maximise it, but I couldn't shrink it below about 50% of my screen realestate, which Iirc, I read somewhere they were going to make it resizable.

Each to his or her own. I respect the opinions of those that like them, personally, I dislike the whole appearance, flat and oversized sparse look and feel. I'm a girl with simple tastes, but this is just oversimplified to the extreme :-)

• pauliusval99 says:

Well,it's still weird that it takes half of your screen. Try decreasing the DPI? Go to personalization and click make items smaller on bigger on your screen (or something like that)

• Yanta says:

Thanks for your assistance. Perhaps things will resolve themselves with later builds... this is still in Beta after all.

6. yagijd says:

I hope the new build fixes the stability. I loaded Win 10 onto 6 different machines and 3 of them crashed consistently. I contacted Microsoft with details and they referred me to a site that had similar complaints. No solutions. I reverted to a previous build that worked fine. The diagnosis seems to be a RAM addressing problem. Two affected computers had 64 and 32 Gb of RAM and the other only 4Gb. all were running R9290 video cards

• Eric Sleeper says:

Wow - I have it on two at home, and already put it on all my family's PCs (about 8 counting their kids) - no issues at all. However, we are Nivida only, or the built on Intel Video cards in my family.

• pauliusval99 says:

Man, he doesn't have issues with his video card. The issue comes from wrong RAM management. Never happened to me though, do you use DDR2 there or something? lol

• barely_normal says:

Which is likely due to the video drivers. When people, by and large, tell you that there are no problems with Intel or nVidia graphics, and yet there are reports of problems with AMD/ATi cards, you can pretty much see it is a driver problem.

BTW, the type of RAM makes no difference, as DDR2 would only be slower, not error-prone.

• pauliusval99 says:

I know the DDR2 sticks themselves can't cause this problem, but I'm asking because DDR2 is generally used in very old motherboards (compared to how fast technology is improving nowadays). And old motherboards have older BIOS, which might be incompatible with Windows 10, leading to bad memory management. If Windows 10 sends a command to the firmware and the firmware does something else than Windows has expected, of course Windows will be "upset", because unexpected hardware behavior almost always leads to a crash.
        I'm just pointing out that your error can come not only come from the Windows kernel or the RAM sticks, but also from anything in-between.

• barely_normal says:

Precision in speaking is the key.

Beyond that, DDR2 motherboards will run Windows 10 just fine. What they do not have is UEFI, and therefore any "security" provided by that in concert with Windows 10 will not be available. Since most people I know find there is no real benefit to secure boot, it is of little value to speak of it.

BIOS incompatibilities are actually few, for if you understand how BIOS works, once Windows has completed the boot process, BIOS is used quite infrequently.

• smarterthanyou says:

The only reason the BIOS still exists is because all x86 and x64 processors are hard coded to boot up in real mode. If you removed the BIOS then the computer wouldn't boot. The BIOS has to be there to either hand off things to Windows or hand things off to the UEFI firmware. That's all it really does.

• barely_normal says:

Yes...however, to be most precise, parts are copied into memory at boot, else the CPU could not properly handle the hardware. Little steps for those unable to take bigger ones.

• techfreak243 says:

I am running it on my Dell Inspiron 5520 laptop and very little to no problems here. just minor error popups every now and then but nothing short of the usual app crashing every time and again (by app i mean modern UI app like Mail and Settings). also i cannot get the Mail app and the Reader app to update.

• Craig Simpson says:

I would get rid of that 9290 as it is extremely old and is only a directx 9 card. Put a directx 10 or 11 card in and see how you go.

• barely_normal says:

He/she means R9 290, a relatively new card, with lots of power. I believe it is a DX 11.2 card, and any problems he/she is having are likely due to the inability of AMD/ATi to deliver quality drivers. It has been this way for over 20 years. (Why do you think AMD/ATi must keep delivering new drivers each month? It is because they are never right, and something done to allow one game to run properly breaks some new game that comes along.)

The problem may indeed be RAM addressing, but I'll almost guarantee that nVidia cards have no such problems. nVidia went through a time of driver problems, but those times are now gone.

• smarterthanyou says:

Yeah, AMD has had a history of buggy drivers. It's funny in Linux how the opensource AMD graphics driver works so much better than AMD's proprietary driver. You'd think AMD would know their own product better than the opensource developers, many who probably have never even worked for AMD. Anyways, I'm getting off topic here.

• barely_normal says:

Good to know. I simply gave up and used the preferred choice of many - for a number of reasons. AMD currently has no card that offers the power, and efficiency of my GT750 Ti 2GB.

I stopped liking AMD when the damn drivers usurped another interrupt for a second monitor, and nVidia was faster without it, allowing me to run a SCSI card in many machines without conflict or slowing.

7. barely_normal says:

It has been reported {on Neowin} that transparency is returning to the interface - it should be noted that the mention was not of Aero, however, I think most would welcome anything to change the abysmal look of what is there in 9926 at this point.

To the commenter below, I WISH there were more instability, for that would mean that they would have to work on it much more. However, I have had no instability whatsoever, just disappointment in the UI.

• pauliusval99 says:

Windows 8 still has Aero. I mean seriously people, Aero doesn't end at rounded corners and transparency. The whole goodness of Aero is the ease of use - you drag a window to the very top of your screen and it maximizes. You drag it to the very size and it spans half of your screen. You shake it, and all the other windows minimize. That's what's called Aero.
      Here you're probably referring to the Aero ***theme***. Which is only an esthetic feature eating up a lot of system resources. It was introduced in Windows Vista.
      The whole Aero feature collection, however, was introduced in Windows 7 and was one of the major things that led Windows 7 to success. That's basically the biggest difference between Windows XP and Windows 7 in functionality. I don't care about User Account Control, it's useless and I disable it as soon as I install Windows anyway.

• barely_normal says:

NO, that is not what is called Aero, those are called SnapTo and Shake. Aero is the careful blending and possible translucency of window draws.

• pauliusval99 says:

Yes, those features do have their own names, but they are part of Aero. The window decorations you are talking about are called the "Aero theme". They are also part of Aero.
        Google it if you don't believe me. I'm pretty sure there is a Wikipedia article on it that explains it all pretty well.

• barely_normal says:

Since when does an explanation of the workings, from the maker, not suffice?

• pauliusval99 says:

Look, I don't know where you took that one from, but it's clearly outdated. As you can see, they're talking about Windows Vista, without mentioning Windows 7 anywhere. That paragraph was written way before Windows 7 was released, and probably before the release of Windows Vista.
        When they created Windows Vista, they introduced a new feature, that is, the visual appearance, and called it "Windows Aero". But later, when Windows 7 came, they decided to further tweak the user experience and introduced a bunch of useful features, such as snap left/right, pull to maximize or shake to minimize. There are also some less known "tweaks" in it. But the point is, they kept the name "Aero" for *all* of these features. And the theme was then renamed to "Aero Glass". Yes, Windows 8 removed Aero Glass. And no, it didn't remove the whole Aero package.

• barely_normal says:

Whether or not we agree upon what Aero is, it is clear that you don't seem to care about the visual effects which Aero has. I do. It makes it much easier to separate windows from each other, and looks more appealing at the same time.

SnapTo and Shake are features I usually turn off, as I hardly ever use them - there are more efficient ways to do things, which can be added using freeware.

Aero is not something easily added, and yes, anything that makes the use of a computer more pleasant is a good thing.

Most of the problems since Windows Ate stem from the lunatic idea that all things computing should have the same interface. Not only do they not, they should not. Microsoft is too stupid to see this, and too lazy to go back to having different versions of the OS for different devices. As someone who has done some programming, I can say that having an API which is the same is desirable, having a UI that is the same is sheer lunacy.

• pauliusval99 says:

stop crying and use linux if you want. I don't give a fuck. You know why? You will *always* find a reason to blame Microsoft for something. No matter what they do.

8. Nick Rothmeier says:

Interesting...clearly bugs will weed out eventually..I find 10 to be pretty smooth on my end here. Haven't really installed anything drastic or dealt with any terminal servers i.e. AADS, but it seems slick and smooth here. Curious how it will work in the "real world".

9. Nick Rothmeier says:

Interesting..Haven't had any issues playing with it on my PC. Installed on a MSI i5 16gb MB..Don't really know how 10 will react to my terminal servers that I use. Hesitant on switching to 10 from 7. We shall see..

10. nilst2011 says:

As a business owner and home user i say that Windows 10 will be the 2nd failure in a row for Microsoft.

1. A startmenu that aren't a real startmenu - should be options; classic, XP, 7

2. ModernUI - too ugly and flat for high performance computers

3. Store and Apps - this should be selected during install if you want it or not

4. Onedrive - this should be selected during install if you want it or not

5. Microsoft's try to force people to use Microsoft account - this should be selected during install if you want it or not

There are many more reasons that make me feel exactly the same for Windows 10 as i did for Windows 8 during the preview phase. Microsoft should stop force BS down our throats and start to listen to their customers.

I won't use Windows 10...i will stay with XP x64, Vista x64 and 7 x64.

There are reasons why people don't upgrade to Windows 8.x, but Microsoft still haven't understood that.....

• Yanta says:

Great list. I sat down and wrote an article on why "Moving to Windows 10 from windows 7 is a downgrade". I came up with 25 reasons, which I won't post here because of the length of the article.

One thing I will add to your list is this suspected Subscription plans.

It doesn't make sense to move to an OS that is no faster (with SSDs installed), has far more privacy and online safety issues and looks terrible only to be told in 12 months if you want any new features, or existing features that are changed by M$, you will have to pay a monthly subscription, or you will be stuck with the W10 as it is at release time.

• Eric Sleeper says:

I think every major release of any OS has a pro's and con's list.
        But from a few things you listed, it's easy to tell you dislike Windows 10 to the point your fabricating stuff.
        I was going to start typing how off you are with your bias thoughts, but it's pointless.

• Yanta says:

That is a decidedly nasty response. And totally uncalled for. I am entitled to have an opinion, and just because it is different than yours is no reason to be rude and obnoxious.

I haven't fabricated anything. What I wasn't already familiar with I got from various lists around the web of features added/removed from each version of Windows. You only have to google it to get the information. I did my research.

The ONLY thing I listed personally was the subscription model.

I could say the same thing about biases to you, but I wont sink to your level.

• anon says:

"I won't use Windows 10...i will stay with XP x64, Vista x64 and 7 x64."

I wouldn't normally reply to these idiots that comment here, but the fact you said you would rather use windows vista "x64" proves you know jack shit about computers. and are just ignorant to technology and blinded by your own vegtable brain opinion

• pauliusval99 says:

what's wrong with 64bit windows vista? i mean i know windows vista is a total failure, but what exactly did you mean highlighting the 64bit part?

• smarterthanyou says:

Many computer come with more than 4GB RAM hence the 64-bit part. As far as what's wrong with Vista, for one it can bring even a high end PC to its knees. Here are some more bugs:

• Jon Goff says:

Manners maketh man. It costs nothing to be polite, but reveals exactly what kind of person you are when you insult a complete stranger from the safety and anonymity of your computer. Whatever worthwhile comments you have are diluted by your infantile and immature behavior.

• w34ytw4 says:

The ignorance of thinking Vista sucks is strong in this one.

• pmdci says:

1: Unlikely that they will change this. I do think the menu needs some extra work. I do not like the fact that when I click to see all applications, the list is confined to a squeezed single column scrollable list.

2: I agree but this is subjective. On a positive side I reckon MSFT is learning that trying to push everything as with the Metro look was a mistake (I will keep calling it Metro -- I don't care)

3: I disagree. The store should be part of the default install. MSFT no longer allow us to select what is to be included in an install and I reckon this has to do with the fact it all goes down to a Windows Image File. As long as we can uninstall and reinstall all apps, I am ok with it. Plus they must allow us to install Metro apps at different locations. Rather than specifying a path we could perhaps select it from a customised list. E.g.: External SD card, second HD, etc.

4: My issue with onedrive is the fact that it requires users to log-in with a MSFT account, which is stupid. That has to change.

5: Could not agree more. What is even worse is the fact that if you do choose to sign-in with a MSFT account you cannot perform some basic local user profile changes without affecting your online account (e.g. change of name, picture, etc).

• Eric Sleeper says:

5: Microsoft's try to force people to use Microsoft account.
      While half true - can we assume you don't use Google products and services too?

bullshit.
      1. what exactly do you expect in a start menu? it's the same start menu as in windows 7, but the sides have switched places - and the pinned apps are much more useful with live tiles.
      2. totally disagree. windows 7 aero theme didn't look so great - on lower DPI displays it looked just fucking ugly. needless to say, the unneeded glow and transparency effects use a lot of resources and greatly slow down cheaper computers.
      3. if you don't want them, just don't use them. it's not like they keep popping up like adware. if you don't click on them, you don't notice them at all.
      4. again, if you don't want it, just select "sync nothing" in the initial setup window. it pops up after you install windows and connect to the internet. if you select sync none, it won't sync, won't take any hard disk space, it will be just an empty folder somewhere deep in your C drive. i'm pretty sure you can also unpin it from the left pane of file explorer - haven't tried that because onedrive is a damn useful thing :P
      5. there is a clearly visible button in the middle of screen saying "use a local account instead" in the initial setup screen. how hard is it to press one fucking button???

also, Eric Sleeper said very well - don't you see that google has been doing the same like 5 years now? microsoft also did the same on windows phone and nobody complained.

• barely_normal says:

1. You miss the point many are making - they only ACCEPTED the start menu of Windows 7, they did not actually like it. Most I know prefer the drill-down, heirarchical menu of Windows 95 through XP, and still available on Vista, though not default.

2. who were the dummies still using low DPI displays in 2009?

3. why should we be burdened with them? There should be a choice at install to drink the KoolAid, or not. Most I know would not.

Microsoft should have learned by now that more choice is what pleases, not less, SO, for those like me, who prefer the logical, drill-down menu style, it should be there - let's face it, they've already written the code for it.

This is what nearly EVERYONE I know, whether of high or low technical prowess, has said. "Why has Microsoft taken away the choices we once had?"

For their own reasons it seems, and to be punitive, for we [that is, those of us who understand how programming works] all know that the choices most want could be retained, and for those who actually like the changes brought about in the last 3 years, they could have them.

RESULT? Nearly everyone happy, and all for the inclusion of a few thousand lines of code already written, but taken away because someone thought they knew better than those end users, what was needed. Microsft has forgotten who pays the bills - simple as that.

• pauliusval99 says:

I do use a relatively low DPI display in 2015 (1366x167 at 19"). I don't feel an urge to upgrade. Windows 8 looks just perfect on my display, as well as on my tablet (1080p on 11").

• rauckr says:

Give it a chance. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Not everything is baked yet. Windows 7 was a tough act to follow.

11. Craig Simpson says:

I think that the search bar needs to go back into the start menu and not on the taskbar. Allow people to search directly by typing and the result showing up in the start menu or a search popup bar.

• Dave Johnson says:

You already can! Just click on the start menu, and start typing!

• Eric Sleeper says:

Searching is a daily, if not hourly thing for many.
      But for many, the default takes a lot of room.
      If you don't like it, you can change it, it can be removed, but also shortened to just an Icon (which is what I keep it at).

• zoomer296 says:

Right-click the taskbar, go to "Search", click "Disabled".
      search will still work in start.

12. Yanta says:

I hate it when people refer to W10 as "modern". Who gets to decide what is modern?

There is nothing modern in the direction that Windows, Apps and phones are taking. They are more vintage than modern.

Remember the Office icons in Office 97 and what they did in office 2003?

This is so kindergarten crayola vintage look. Not modern.

• pauliusval99 says:

nothing close to vintage at all. minimalism is a pretty new design trend, hence the name modern

• barely_normal says:

But it is not, as much of Windows Ate looks like Windows 3.1 on a CGA monitor. All that is missing are the outer boxes and names like ProgMan and FileMan.

Really what it means is poor design done by people who should never been let near the colors, schemes, or screen metrics, as they have no sense of style, and are trying to foist it upon the public.

The problem with Windows Ate was that far too many simply stated "Homey don't play that game."

• Chris says:

Modern is always modern when the word is used in the present.

• Brian says:

Modern is the name of the design language, formerly known as metro that Microsoft started way back with the Zune.

Anyway it is flat graphics with no drop shadows and clean lines. That's all it means.

• barely_normal says:

Just so we could all get on the same page, especially when complaining to Microsoft, I would suggest a phrase I coined a while ago - the "Fisher-Price look", and to describe the color schemes, "angry fruit salad", which means colors and shades of color that no one would find as complementary, or even adjacent, on any color wheel.

And you're right, it is not modern looking, as it hearkens to the time of 1993, and Windows 3.1, on CGA screens with those palettes and resolution, for the large blocks do their best to make even the largest screen look unbelievably useless. Most wish to have larger screens to put MORE information at their fingertips, MS wants to put LESS there, by using the large blocks of open space and bright colors. Useful for the players below age 7, not above.

• Chris says:

Thank you so much for saying in a clear way what I felt in my heart. I will stay in windows 7 or switch to Mac or Linux before I will do Windows 10.

• smarterthanyou says:

But Windows 10 has an improved start menu (not referring to start screen).

• Yanta says:

You have hit the nail on the head.

There is an old saying we girls had years ago.. "Blue and green shall never be seen without another color in between".. Sort of the same concept M$ has gone for with since W8.

• Stefan Leslie says:

It's not "modern"; it's a marketing scheme bolted onto Windows. They're working like banshees to iron out all the bugs too. The good news is that the platform's underpinning WinAPIs and .NET frameworks remain intact.

• Six_Tymes says:

I completely agree,

I did go from win7 to 8 and disliked 8, but now on 8.1 and really like it, its very fast and easy to get much done.

13. Jon Goff says:

I love Windows 8. I'm not a fan of the tiles, I have a hard time finding stuff in that layout. I prefer an alphabetical list, probably because I'm old as dirt and grew up using indexes, card catalogs, and so forth. My main gripe with the tiles is they are all ugly, garish colors. I already lived through the 80s once, I don't want to do it again. If they'd ad the ability to change the colors of the tiles, I'd be happier.

I have a video card capable of displaying millions of colors, so why am I limited to these ugly, contrasting, garish colors?

14. BoltmanLives says:

Windows 10= Best thing since sliced bread.

15. wdeda says:

I'm really impressed. If you look at the comments, all, without exception, are cosmetic: blue, red, large, small, and so on. Neither seems they are talking about a preview version. Of course only when you reach the RTM all make sense, but for now ...

16. smarterthanyou says:

Windows 10 is extremely dangerous and can cause data loss. I did a clean install of Windows 10 on my Surface 3 Pro. Then I installed VirtualBox 4.3.22. Afterwards I lost internet connectivity even though I was connected to my home wifi network. I rebooted hoping to fix the problem but my Surface 3 wouldn't boot up. After the Surface logo the screen went blank. I got into Windows 10's recovery menu but all of the options such as refreshing Windows or the Command Prompt option gave me an error saying I needed an administrator account and that one did not exist. Thankfully I had created a Windows 8.1 recovery USB drive which did not require said administrator account to get to a command prompt and back up my data.

On a clean install, Windows 10 is supposed to mark the first user account you create as an administrator account even if it's an online Microsoft Live account and not a local account. Windows 8.1 does this. Seems like a very serious bug in Windows 10.

• Stefan Leslie says:

So far Windows 10 is ALPHA quality. It is not recommended for primary nor production machines.

It should only be loaded on computers where you are willing to do a complete wipe of all data. It is only meant for spare or test computers, or for virtual machines.

• Guest says:

They should make sure to label this software as a technical preview or something like that...oh wait...

Seriously, though, I've run literally a dozen different builds of Windows 10 tech preview, and I've used VirtualBox, VMWare workstation, and Hyper-V on it. Never had any of the problems you experienced. Sorry to hear that. Aside from two builds which had some pretty major glitches for me (one involving remote desktop crashes), I haven't had any major issues to note.

• CyberInferno says:

The first account you create is an administrator, just like on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1. Not sure how this got messed up in your case. I've used about a dozen builds of Windows 10 without any deal-breaking issues (closest one was a remote desktop bug that caused it to crash on a semi-regular basis). But this is indeed a tech preview. Make sure to submit a bug to Microsoft.

• ad says:

windows 10 is not dangerous. it's good and esy to use..(in my opinion) because i am using it now.

17. steve says:

I will stay with windows 7,, by using that old saying,, if its not broke don't fix it,, windows 8 and 10 are both are both confusing. when I want to go on a site,, I don't wanna have to push a shit load of buttons just to find it. I want to click and go.. enough said.

18. Bill says:

I have on my computer which is a desktop 2 hard drives, one has windows 7 and the other windows 10. During boot up I get a choice which operating system I want
    Just like the old commander program that allowed you to have 2 operating system on 2 different hard drives. Works for me