Samsung Family Hub Refrigerator now available with Wi-Fi, touchscreen, and more

image

Samsung makes amazing products, and I'm not just talking about smartphones and tablets. I have one of its 4K televisions in my house, not to mention a washing machine and clothes dryer. These things work wonderfully, and create memorable experiences -- I recommend them highly.

Today, Samsung announces immediate availability of its smart refrigerator. What has historically been a large box designed to keep food and drinks cold, can be so much more. Its Family Hub fridge has a huge touchscreen, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and can communicate with your smartphone. It even has a built-in web browser!

"Enhanced by a 21.5 inch LCD touchscreen which serves as the refrigerator’s digital command center, and seamlessly connects to your smartphone, the Family Hub is a significant advancement in home appliance functionality and design. Whether sharing family calendars, photos and notes; viewing the inside of the fridge with your smartphone while grocery shopping; or accessing your favorite music or television content, Family Hub enriches family life in practical and empowering ways", says Samsung.

The manufacturer further says, "ask the average person what’s going on inside their fridge, and chances are they won’t really know for sure. The Family Hub features a series of smart and intuitive features that make food management and organization easier and more efficient. Most impressive are three tiny, high quality cameras positioned inside the refrigerator that capture an image each time the doors close. Now, if you are at the store and trying to remember which food items to buy, you can view inside the refrigerator through a smartphone app".

samsubgfridge

Samsung shares the following food-management apps.

• Instacart -- The leading national online grocery delivery service, delivering groceries from your favorite stores straight to your door in as little as one hour.
  • Groceries by MasterCard -- Order groceries online from leading retailers like Fresh Direct and ShopRite and pay for them through a simple, single check-out with any U.S.-issued credit or debit cards.
  • Allrecipes -- Access recipes rated and reviewed by millions of cooks, as well as cooking advice tips and how-to videos.
  • Shopping List -- Compile and keep track of your grocery lists, which seamlessly sync between fridge and smartphone.
  • Food Reminders -- Use the Family Hub screen or your smartphone to drag and drop expiration dates to the image of items inside to know what needs to be used, and by when.
  • Fridge Manager -- Easily control the refrigerator and freezer temperatures, and check the status of the water filter.

"RF22K9581SG - GLAMOUR IMAGES"

As someone who loves gadgets and tech, I certainly see the cool-factor of the touchscreen, but I am dubious that consumers will see value. I can already take my smartphone into the kitchen; why do I need my fridge to show me pictures and to play music? Pulling up a chair to the front of the appliance to watch a TV show seems highly unlikely, but totally possible with the 28-cubic foot Family Hub Refrigerator.

While a 21.5-inch display on the outside of the fridge is a bit gimmicky, the internal cameras are actually quite brilliant. There are many times when I cannot remember if I am running low on something, like milk, and it would be very useful to see inside remotely using my smartphone. Then again, it would probably be cheaper to just buy too much milk on occasion, right?

If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, it starts at $5,799. You can get it in either stainless steel or a fancy black stainless design starting today.

8 Responses to Samsung Family Hub Refrigerator now available with Wi-Fi, touchscreen, and more

1. BoltmanLives says:

Hell no

2. Adam Smith says:

My first rule in life is "do not overcomplicate things"
    Just like the Google Glass innovation - the IT experts get all excited about the hype, and forget that in the real world, what matters most is simplicity and reliability.
    Oh, and privacy is increasingly being valued

The main reason people purchase a fridge is to keep food cold.
    They will buy these IoT fridges if they are of a similar price range, but I predict the vast majority of people want a fridge to be a fridge, a recipe book or website to be the source of recipes, and a shopping website to be how people order goods.

A fridge trying to be all things to all people, just like a person trying to please everyone, will end up pleasing noone adequately

The Internet of Things still awaits decent inventions, that are more than just gimmicks. Im waiting for real innovation, including devices that can diagnose disease on the body before the person perceives the disease. All the rest is like Google Glass - all looks and no substance

• Adrian S says:

I agree. i would never even fit something like that in my house, it is certainly for those with big houses.
      I have a fridge and a freezer and all I want them to do is to keep things cool, I certainly do not want them connected to the net, nor do I want my kettle, my coffee machine, my hi-fi, my food mixer, my microwave or any other thing that really have no need to be connected.

they just doing it because they can, not because they need to.

• Mildredkneuhaus1 says:

"my room mate Lori Is getting paid on the internet 98$/hr".....!cc991atwo days ago grey MacLaren P1 I bought after earning 18,512 DoIIars..it was my previous month's payout..just a little over.17k DoIIars Last month..3-5 hours job a day...with weekly payouts..it's realy the simplest. job I have ever Do.. I Joined This 7 months. ago. and now making over. hourly 87 DoIIars...Learn. More right Here !cc991a:➽:➽:➽➽➽➽ http://GlobalSuperJobsReportsEmploymentsStartGetPayHourly$98.... .❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦::::::!cc991a....,....

• Irmabpalmer3 says:

"my room mate Lori Is getting paid on the internet 98$/hr".....!cc537etwo days ago grey MacLaren P1 I bought after earning 18,512 DoIIars..it was my previous month's payout..just a little over.17k DoIIars Last month..3-5 hours job a day...with weekly payouts..it's realy the simplest. job I have ever Do.. I Joined This 7 months. ago. and now making over. hourly 87 DoIIars...Learn. More right Here !cc537e:➽:➽:➽➽➽➽ http://GlobalSuperJobsReportsEmploymentsWiseGetPayHourly$98.... .❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦::::::!cc537e....,....

3. Hall9000 says:

It's not the screen that amazes me, it's how orderly the things on the shelves are. :-P

4. roborat says:

Yes, Samsung may make great hardware but their software is horrendous. If that interface would be anything like the Samsung Smart Hub on their TV, god help anyone who tries to use it.

There's only one reason to connect the fridge to the internet, and that is to tell me if there is cold beer available before I get home.

5. dnattack says:

A fridge with Windows livetiles...