Don't want Windows 10? Good news -- the nagging will end soon

Happy Business woman office PC

Microsoft today stated that the free upgrade period for Windows 10 will end on July 29 and after that if you want the new OS, your options are to buy a new PC running it, or to purchase a copy for $119.

If you have no interest in Windows 10, and are happy to stay with Windows 7, or 8.1, the good news is the end of the free period will also mean no more nagging to upgrade to the new OS. Or it will reduce at least, as the software giant will be removing the 'Get Windows 10' app from systems.

SEE ALSO: Microsoft says Windows 10's free upgrade offer is coming to an end soon, but questions remain

I asked Microsoft a couple of questions regarding the cutoff date, and what it would mean for the Get Windows 10 app, and was told by a spokesman that:

Details are still being finalized, but on July 29th the Get Windows 10 app that facilitates the easy upgrade to Windows 10 will be disabled and eventually removed from PCs worldwide. Just as it took time to ramp up and roll out the Get Windows 10 app, it will take time to ramp it down.

So while the app won’t vanish on July 29, it will be removed eventually, leaving you to decide for yourself if, or when, you want to get Windows 10.

Photo credit: kurhan/Shutterstock

117 Responses to Don't want Windows 10? Good news -- the nagging will end soon

1. BinBin2000 says:

See folks? toldya :)

2. BoltmanLives says:

Good MO MONEY and the PC OEMS say YES!

BinBin2000 is a freaking moron and wears a monkey mask

• async2013 says:

I find it rather amusing you reply to your own messages. More money needs to be spent on mental health issues.

3. BinBin2000 says:

Na-na-na-nahhh na-na-na-Nahhhhhhh! hey,hey,hey.. GOOOOOOOOODBYE!

4. techagnostic says:

Will you clickbait blog posts about Windows 10 stop? 5th one in the last 24 hours. Do you have some quota to fill?

5. MyDisqussion says:

Why can't they just release a recommended update for the August patch Tuesday that will remove the Get Windows X app?

• Charles says:

Because they're still hoping a few more suckers will click on GWX and pay for the privilege. Its all about Boltman's stock price and saving the world from climate change.

• MyDisqussion says:

I predicted this a couple of months ago. Microsoft will continue to upgrade you to Windows X, then charge you to roll back.

• BinBin2000 says:

As of July 30th you won't be able to install the "app/nagware" anymore.It may remain on users systems for a bit... but it won't do anything.The Upgrade servers will be shutdown.

• MyDisqussion says:

Is that kind of like vendors shutting down the webservers?

• BinBin2000 says:

Basically.All access to those servers will be blocked.I believe MS on this.July 30th it will all be over,permanently.

• Charles says:

Oh, the humanity!!!

• MyDisqussion says:

Good. Maybe Microsoft can repurpose that wretched hive of scum and villainy.

• BinBin2000 says:

Well,let's just enjoy what we know we have for sure lol.. 3 1/2 more years of supported 7, 6 1/2 more years of supported 8.I'll make sure I have plenty of cold beer and a fired up BBQ,gonna be a nice vacation ;)

• MyDisqussion says:

Just let me know when and where. I'll be there with seven bells on.

• MyDisqussion says:

Time will tell.

6. BinBin2000 says:

BY THE WAY - BIIIIIIIG thanks to all the developers and their great apps that have helped people avoid being nagged or forcibly upgraded.Even after the upgrade is dead and gone,your efforts will not be forgotten.THANKYOU from all of us.

• roborat says:

"From all of you"? You mean all 5 of you? LOL. What a waste of time.

• async2013 says:

Bend over take it like a gullible. Microsoft is my nanny

• BinBin2000 says:

You're an azz,it doesn't concern you since you willingly sold your soul to that crap OS anyways.

Break this down....

You're (Roborat) an (You are an) azz

(!)

It doesn't concern you (Roborat)

(???)

Since you (Roborat) willingly sold your (Roborat) soul to that crap OS (Windows 10) anyways.

(!)

Can someone parse this?

Hey I counted 6

• Irmabpalmer3 says:

"my room mate Lori Is getting paid on the internet 98$/hr".....!cc534etwo days ago grey MacLaren P1 I bought after earning 18,512 DoIIars..it was my previous month's payout..just a little over.17k DoIIars Last month..3-5 hours job a day...with weekly payouts..it's realy the simplest. job I have ever Do.. I Joined This 7 months. ago. and now making over. hourly 87 DoIIars...Learn. More right Here !cc534e:➽:➽:➽➽➽➽ http://GlobalSuperJobsReportsEmploymentsWiseGetPayHourly$98.... .❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦::::::!cc534e....,....

7. Fred Doyle says:

Upgraded a desktop and laptop to the free Win 10 Pro via MS's iso - have it's genuine KEY[s]; have since restored both to Win 7 Pro.... curious if say in 3 years time I re-install Win 10 Pro on both, use Win 10 KEY[s] will tjhey still show genuine thus saving some $398.00 ;>)

• MyDisqussion says:

Just wait a few years and install Windows 11 instead.

• Captain555 says:

That's a good idea, let's wait for Windows 11. LOL

• BoltmanLives says:

"Right now we're releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we're all still working on Windows 10." That was the message from Microsoft employee Jerry Nixon, a developer evangelist speaking at the company's Ignite conference this week

• Captain555 says:

Get your head out of your butt, look at the end of my message.

• BoltmanLives says:

Oh so now I have to assume any LOL absolves you of stupidity? Frankly not worth the effort to maintain cliff notes on you and your quirks.

• Captain555 says:

Yea, sarcasm is too complex of a concept for your feeble little mind.

• MyDisqussion says:

Evangelists. Just like Oral Roberts.

Windows 10 is damn good but lets not get carried away

• barely_normal says:

The intelligent know it's a ruse.

The intelligent already are on 10

• barely_normal says:

Are you regressing mentally?

• barely_normal says:

Referring to the plea for money so he would not be taken from the earth?

• barely_normal says:

When dealing with known liars, the logical mind knows it's never time to take the words seriously.

• Fantasm says:

Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, so there won't be a Windows 11...
        Probably the next thing we will see is Doors 3.1

8. ROB-1. says:

Does this mean that I can turn my updates back on?

• BinBin2000 says:

I'd wait until July 30th,and also keep an eye out for those Telemetry Updates lol,but yep for sure!

Microsoft blocked 4 billion malicious login attempts in 2015

Antimalware software works, hackers still trying to exploit 6-year-old bugsLatest Microsoft security report confirms: There's a lot of malware out there.

Most systems that Microsoft has telemetry data for have permanent malware protection, either from Microsoft or third parties. About a quarter of PCs either lack protection entirely or have only sporadic protection. Among systems cleaned of malware, systems with permanent antimalware protection were half as common as those with no or intermittent protection. This isn't a perfect measure, as in some cases malware may disable antimalware software, but it's suggestive that having effective and up-to-date antimalware software provides a meaningful reduction in malware infections. Traditionally, many self-styled power users have argued that common sense computing practices and good sense can be ample protection from malware. This may not be true in practice, and it looks like the software does in fact make a difference.

• async2013 says:

Woah! Hang on a second there petal. You quoting beta news?

• MyDisqussion says:

Certainly not. Microsoft hasn't stopped making Windows Seven harder to use. KB3133977 is only the tip of the iceberg to drive users to Windows X.

• barely_normal says:

The days of auto updating any MS product were over a few years ago. One needs to wait at least 2 weeks on even important updates, so they don' make things FUBAR.

9. sgrandin says:

If one changes major hardware (diy) after July 29, then it will presumaby cost anyway, no matter what one does now.

• Adrian S says:

Depends. If you have a pre-built desktop machine that have a OEM on and you update the main board then yes as Windows 10 will be linked with that version of Windows and being a OEM it will problem not work with a new motherboard.

If you are buying a new laptop, then it will not matter as Windows will come with that and the same if you are buying a new complete desktop.

If like myself you have a retail version of Windows then if you have linked Windows 10 with it then you can install it on any machine. so if I update this tower to a new AMD zen board, CPU and memory then I can still use my retail version of Windows.

• Fantasm says:

And this is it for me as well... If and when I go to Windows 10 I'll have upgraded my hardware so much it won't be the same Pc...

10. smarterthanyou says:

This is too bad. Microsoft needs to be more aggressive in upgrading people's PC's to Windows 10 so it's harder for people to get infected with malwaremale are.

• Adrian S says:

They are aggressive enough as it is, having windows 10 will not stop peoples computer getting infected.

• greggreen29 says:

They should sneak in to homes at night and install if they can't do it remotely.

11. Bob Bradley says:

Microsoft is like the Republican leadership; They just don't get it.
    Sadly, I think Microsoft will double down and make the nag screen even worse.

12. G Sumner says:

I don't think they should say a word about the upgrade coming to an end....then wait for the endless stream of idiots to beg them to extend the free upgrade period to no avail, and that will happen no matter what MSFT does! But the idiots will get over it and realize they could have saved themselves $119. As for the folks that know what they are doing, they know what they are doing! It's as simple as that!

• BoltmanLives says:

The caveman clan will maybe learn to make fire and have a fire pit maybe cave paint in celebration.and normals will blame them and start to throw rocks at them

• Adrian S says:

I really don't understand why you think people are idiots just because they do not want Windows 10? In my country which is the UK we have freedom of choice, we are not governed by a dictator, even if sometimes it seems like we are.

I thought the U.S of A was the land of the free, seems like only if you agree with Microcrap.

• G Sumner says:

You misunderstood me. The idiots would be the ones whining now, then begging for an extension. If you don't want 10 you won't want it for $119 either.

• Adrian S says:

Sorry, reading it again and for some reason I misread the post. i don't want them to extend it, I want it all over and done with.
        I did notice that MS have 2 new updates, for me, both are suppose to help me update to Windows 10, I thought GWX control panel is suppose to stop them. I will have to have a look at my settings.

• G Sumner says:

Also, this is indeed America! And we have our fair share of idiots too!

• Fantasm says:

I think many of us "idiots" have already tested Windows 10 and found reasons to NOT update to it...
      I don't want it on my main computers. It's on my tablet and that's about as far as it's getting...
      I see Windows 10 and Windows 7 side by side everyday... I prefer W7

13. BoltmanLives says:

Witcher Boss on Microsoft's Cross-Play News: "F**kin' Yeah"

"Cross-play with other networks? That's not the Microsoft of ten years ago. No way. Windows 10 is freakin' amazing"

14. tirpider says:

Friggin aggressive marketing. If it was a guy walking around town, randomly putting "free and better" stuff in people's pockets, he would have been shot.

• MyDisqussion says:

He's not just putting free stuff in your pocket, he's pinching something from you.

15. roborat says:

I do hope the W10 whining will stop oncle GWX is removed. That would mean I don't have to scroll through endless threads of whiney nonsense.

16. Irmabpalmer3 says:

"my room mate Lori Is getting paid on the internet 98$/hr".....!cc535etwo days ago grey MacLaren P1 I bought after earning 18,512 DoIIars..it was my previous month's payout..just a little over.17k DoIIars Last month..3-5 hours job a day...with weekly payouts..it's realy the simplest. job I have ever Do.. I Joined This 7 months. ago. and now making over. hourly 87 DoIIars...Learn. More right Here !cc535e:➽:➽:➽➽➽➽ http://GlobalSuperJobsReportsEmploymentsWiseGetPayHourly$98.... .❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦:❖❖:❦❦::::::!cc535e....,....

17. barely_normal says:

I would ask for a verifiable name, but Microsoft has no integrity, so their words do not matter. It is impossible to be assured with anything said. Also, getting a precise answer is like nailing jelly to a tree.

18. Sam says:

Amazed at the number of people taking extremely bad advice from the clowns that are telling them not to upgrade to Windows 10, especially when it's a free offer.

• trparky says:

It's very simple... the people who really do know things don't trust anything Microsoft says. Security experts across multiple sites have agreed that Microsoft is not to be trusted.

Go to DSLReports.com's Security Forum and Microsoft Forum and read some threads, the people who have been in the industry for years and have even worked at Fortune 500 companies and have written programming code professionally all agree that Microsoft is not to be trusted.

• Captain555 says:

Hey what happened. I was trying to answer one of your post in "breaking Windows", and your post got deleted.

• BoltmanLives says:

Trparky posts are getting detonated for some reason, probably mods simply tired of him. Oh well.

• trparky says:

If one should be banned, it's you; not me.

What I say here on this site are the same words that thousands (if not millions) of people are saying across the world. These are the same people who believe that Microsoft is destined for failure and that it will be their own doing. Microsoft has managed to burn every shred of goodwill with the people who well and truly do know what they are talking about.

• BoltmanLives says:

Well I'm not judging but perhaps you should be more objective

• Captain555 says:

Nobody should be banned. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

• BoltmanLives says:

I agree... hey can you get me back on BING rewards? Or the Verge? or Slickdeals.net?

• BoltmanLives says:

Thats why Enterprise trust them...does not compute trparky

• trparky says:

That may be the old semi-trustworthy Microsoft but this is a new Microsoft, a Microsoft one should not trust. I don't know what's going on in the halls of Microsoft right now, all I do know is that today's Microsoft isn't the same Microsoft of yesteryear. Today's Microsoft is one that's shown no reasons why they should be trusted, if anything, they have shown that there's every reason not to trust them.

Some people think that there's a mole in Microsoft, perhaps one that was planted by the likes of Microsoft's competitors to bring down Microsoft from within. If I were Microsoft I would be looking for this mole before this person manages to burn every shred of goodwill they they have remaining with their customers. But then again, I think it may already be too late.

• Adrian S says:

I never tell anyone not to upgrade to Windows 10, what I say is make a image of your OS as it is, also if your computer allows you make back up of the installed version of Windows 7 or 8, which ever they are using then do that. They should have done that when they first goit the computer anyway.
      The update to Windows 10, try it for a while, since you got the old OS backed up you can try it for more than the 30 days. If you don't like it then go back to your old OS.
      I do point them to website about the pros and cons of Windows 10.

• barely_normal says:

And we are amazed at the stupidity and gullibility of people such as yourself.

• BoltmanLives says:

Its like 6 cavemen that talk to themselves, everyone else is part of the 300 MIllion Plus that enjoy Windows 10.

• Sam says:

Tech journalism is like every other news these days, morons parroting BS, and minions gobbling it up and regurgitating. This is one of the reasons I use a Windows Mobile phone, idiots brag about their expensive iPhones and Androids and they don't even know how to use basic features of the phone, best is when they get nailed with heavy carrier charges when they blow through their data plans, or use their phone when roaming and is surprised when they see the bill, most of these clowns are they same ones that can set the clock on a microwave.

• BoltmanLives says:

Hell yea great insight! WP does take a certain confidence to own , Congrats. Let the morons have there fancy BS crap.

• Peter J says:

I might be a caveman but at least I'm not a mindless twit who always finds himself steered by the tide.

• BoltmanLives says:

So I'll put you down for throwing away the $120 upgrade then. That show them..stay the course

• Peter J says:

Sure. BTW, I wasn't specifically calling you a mindless twit (I'm aware that, for one reason or another, you're out here pumping MSFT for your own reasons).
        But I'm passing on 10 until they stop forcing data collection and telemtery. I have my principles, and they're worth alot more than $199. I won't be part of any Petri dish for a "free" upgrade, thanks but no.

• Matthew Lohnshare says:

you also passing on apple and android and using google email? they do the same things as 10......

• Fantasm says:

This is not quite accurate...
        There is a big difference between sharing what you type or search online and what you have tucked away on your hard drive...
        Anyone who uses / leaves confidential stuff on a phone is a moron... it can be lost, dropped stolen.
        Not so much with a desktop computer.
        I don't post my confidential stuff online...
        I wouldn't want to be a photographer using Windows 10 and trying to explain to a client that windows 10 is secure...

• Peter J says:

BUT I can be selective about what I post online, how I use my Google account. I, like most people with a computer, have things I would not want leaked out to anyone: financials, itineraries, family photos. It comes down to I can choose what I post online but somethings have to get stored on my computer. It's a simple observation that Google and Gmail aren't comparable to an operating system, which shouldn't be sending things on my hard drive.

• Matthew Lohnshare says:

Those are services true, but depending on what/how you install Google products, they may automatically upload stuff to the cloud anyway. So technically they would be sending things on your hard drive. Also, Windows 10 is not sending your financial spreadsheets or family trip videos to anyone....so I guess I don't get that kind of paranoia. The data collection is collecting how and what you use so that those products/apps/services can be improved. They aren't watching you type numbers in a spreadsheet.

• Kenji says:

Windows 10 wasn't for developers, it was too unstable and many programs are not compatible.. yet.
        For the masses, maybe.

• Kenji says:

There are a lot of things that can't be done on windows 10 especially "old" programs that are not compatible.
      People that uses DK2 at the time couldn't run many demo that are not compatible for example. If you are even the slightest bit technically savvy you wouldn't make such a stupid statement.
      The extremely bad advice is to upgrade to windows 10 without actually fully understand the pros and cons, just like my 10 yo brother that did the upgrade right away.

19. Tacoman3o3 says:

Yes!!!!!! Freedom!!!!!!

20. BoltmanLives says:

84 Days left for FREE windows 10 UPGRADE then $120 or $200 per upgrade after
    Deadline: July 29, 2016

"We must use time as a tool, not as a crutch."

-John F. Kennedy

Cavemen below...do not read their posts

• BoltmanLives says:

Tacoman3o3 wears Vintage NEW FREEDOM Maxi Pads Sanitary Feminine Napkins are they good, what say you Tacoman303 what do you scream when wearing them proudly?

• Peter J says:

And YOU got offended by a hemhorroid cream reference... Remember that? You sure can give it out easily, then cry foul when it comes back around to slap you in the face.

What? Yo nada be that way. Tacoman3o3 has found joy ...don't disenfranchise him

21. StockportJambo says:

Finally!

22. From Little Ireland says:

do we trust microsoft windows 10 ?
    The 'new' Microsoft? I still wouldn't touch them with
    a barge pole
    In an as-a-service world, everything hinges on trust

23. John Henry says:

Thank goodness this crap is ending . I tried windows10 it bricked a new laptop from dell . even sent it to dell they cannot get it to boot either . So I'll find another route than windows if win10 is the only choice later down the road .