New MS privacy settings

Windows 10 has a reputation for spying on its users. So much so, that a number of privacy-based third-party programs (such as Ashampoo AntiSpy and Spybot Anti-Beacon) have sprung up to disable Windows 10’s numerous tracking features.

In September 2015, Microsoft's Terry Myerson defended how the company has handled privacy in Windows 10, saying in a blog post that "Trust is a core pillar of our More Personal Computing vision, and we know we have to earn it". Today, in a new blog post, he says much the same thing, but announces two new ways for users to take back control of their privacy. Does it go far enough?

Writing about the changes, Myerson says:

First, today we’re launching a new web-based privacy dashboard so you can see and control your activity data from Microsoft including location, search, browsing, and Cortana Notebook data across multiple Microsoft services. Second, we’re introducing in Windows 10 a new privacy set up experience, simplifying Diagnostic data levels and further reducing the data collected at the Basic level. These Windows 10 changes are being introduced in a Windows Insider build soon for feedback first and will be rolled out to everyone when the Windows 10 Creators Update becomes available.

The privacy dashboard, which you can visit now, reiterates Microsoft's commitment to your privacy, and reveals what information the software giant collects about you. From this page you can view and clear your browsing history. If this is something you’ve never really felt compelled to do before, Microsoft’s statement that "If browsing history in Cortana is turned on, your Microsoft Edge browsing history is sent to Microsoft so that Microsoft features and services may use this data to provide you with timely and intelligent answers and proactive personalized suggestions, or to complete tasks for you", might have you rethinking things.

MS Your privacy

You can view and clear Bing and Cortana search history from the dashboard, as well as location activity, and edit Cortana and/or Microsoft Health data, and access other privacy settings.

While the amount of personal data collected in Windows 10 might concern and surprise you, it’s not really any different to Google's creepy My Activity page which reveals how much the search giant knows about you (a staggering amount), and at least you now have an easy way of viewing and clearing this data.

As for the forthcoming "new privacy set up experience" in Windows 10 Creators Update, Microsoft says it will replace the current Express Settings option you see when installing or upgrading Windows 10, and explain clearly all of the various important settings and make you choose which to allow before continuing. You can see how this will work in the screenshot below.

Win10 privacy

Existing Windows 10 users will receive notifications prompting them to choose their privacy settings.

Diagnostic data collection will be simplified in the Creators Update, going from three levels to just two -- Basic and Full.

The amount of data collected in the former will be reduced at the same time, to just data that Microsoft considers vital to Windows' smooth running.

Myerson finishes his post by saying:

When it comes to your privacy, we strive to make choices easy to understand while also providing clear visibility and control over your data. We believe finding the right balance is one of our most important tasks in delivering great personalized experiences that you love and trust.

Today, we take another step in our journey to make changes that address your feedback and help make your experience with Windows and other Microsoft products better and richer. We want you to be informed about and in control of your data, which is why we’re working hard on these settings and controls. And regardless of your data collection choices, we will not use the contents of your email, chat, files, or pictures to target ads to you.

Personally, I welcome these changes. Do they go far enough? It’s hard to say for certain until we get a good look at them in a forthcoming Insider Preview build, but they’re definitely a massive step in the right direction. What’s your view?

Photo credit: David M G / Shutterstock

234 Responses to Microsoft makes big privacy changes to Windows 10 in a bid to win back user trust

1. BinBin2k17 says:

Jesus h. christ Microsoft, just give us a darn "Off" switch for Telemetry.Nevermind all this mumbo jumbo.We see right through this.

• Adrian S says:

And to disable Cortana as well and i mean disable, not the half baked Microsoft idea of disabled, but still running int he backgroud

• BinBin2k17 says:

Even CEIP (when disabled) is still transmitting data.It's ridiculous.This company needs to learn NO means NO.

• realDonaldTrump says:

Then quit complaining about the annoying bugs that won't be fixed.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Windows 10 is the annoying bug that's isn't being fixed.

• MyDisqussion says:

You can install the Windows X Enterprise LTSB, which has no Cortana and no Microsoft App Store.

• MarkZ says:

Wrong. LTSB still has telemetry, and not available to regular customers (and 10 isn't worth pirating)

• MyDisqussion says:

It's available to all-comers.

• Bob Grant says:

It still doesn't completely disable telemetry.

• Adrian S says:

But then i would either have to buy it or pirate it and to be honest I should not have to.

• rtb61 says:

You can only rent enterprise, stop paying and what happens, your system becomes a boat anchor, forever extortion, pay or lose your contents.
        Better to just drop M$ as a really bad habit and a disgusting company never to be trusted.

• realDonaldTrump says:

Just because it's running in the background doesn't mean it's doing anything.

• Adrian S says:

If I am not using cortana, turn everything off to do with cortana, hide the search box and icon, even make sure that every single option to do with cortana is switch to off, then why would Cortana need to be running in the background, do Ms think that because it is running in the backgound I may change my mind? Unless I am using taskmanager I would not even know it was there.
        so it is either sending stuff back to Microsoft and MS have left it running so they can activate it at some point with updates.

This is why I do not trust Micrsofty, because if they was as trustworthy as you think they are then they would give us an easy way to stop Cortana.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Someone get this man a cold beer.

• Tech4Living says:

Do they make a BinBin Off switch or do we just have to wait until you vanish....again?

• Captain555 says:

Hey, he's right.

• Tech4Living says:

Actually he is there should be an OFF switch.

I personally don't care that I can only set it to basic but I am a realist and realize that whatever Microsoft is gathering probably pales in comparison to what my credit card company, cell provider and ISP are collecting on me.

• Farms says:

Need a off switch for people like you and Ordeith .

• Captain555 says:

It's different. All these companies have rules set by laws of what they can collect and not, and how they can use it. They certainly don't use it to decide what publicity to send you.

MS is collecting data on your behavior that they don't really need in order to target you with publicity. And to collect document or photo that you are working on at the time of a crash is definitely out of bound. You need to be able to say yes or no to sending that data.

• Hall9000 says:

""We need Congress to make laws to limit what company like MS collect and what they do with it.""

Drinking hard I see. You seem to forget that government is as guilty as M$ when it comes to privacy breach.

• Daniel Bucherer says:

Having worked for Microsoft, I can assure you that the most likely reason for collecting all that data is really naïvely innocent. Cortana is really collecting data to ensure it can give you the best possible assistance it has available and uses data from all users in an aggregate manner to make it even better. Why? To ensure that in the not-so-distant future, subscribing to an all Microsoft world is going to be so goddam amazing, you'll want to pay them for it.

In contrast, Google collects what it can to sell your data TODAY to the highest bidder...

• async2013 says:

Well that's an unbiased opinion lmfao. P1ssoff back to your lovers and tell them to disable it all as an option? No? Thought so

• Daniel Bucherer says:

Having a bad day or is this your usual, constructive, respectful self?

• Fantasm says:

"Cortana is really collecting data to ensure it can give you the best possible assistance it has available and uses data from all users in an aggregate manner to make it even better"
        Yeah, that makes perfect sense... Except Cortana uses Bing for a search engine...
        Bing can't even get my own street right.
        Google Maps, the pizza guy, the chinese food guy and the police and ambulance and the postman get it right... so does the Taxi and even Uber.
        But Bing maps thinks my street is named something else... (a street aeound the corner and a little ways away...)
        How is that going to "make it even better" ? Especially as it's been like that for months... and is still wrong with Bing... So far, Bing is the only one that always has it wrong... and as a result so does Cortana...

• harmlessdrudge says:

You forgot to mention the bridge. How much do you want for it?

• Fantasm says:

"And to collect document or photo that you are working on at the time of a crash is definitely out of bound"
        And this is a big reason I won't use Windows 10. I do a lot of photography and photo editing and sometimes the photos are not for public viewing. I'm sure the women in them would not want them leaked online either. As a result I sure wouldn't want them being transmitted to Microsoft.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Cross your fingers that I vanish! 'cuz I have no off switch ;) but i'm never TRULY gone... heehee.

I LOL'd

• Captain555 says:

Drip ... drip ... drip ... Slowly but we'll get there I think at some point. It's hard for MS to admit they are completely wrong. So they will admit and give a little, since the number are not going up, and then wait see if it go up. When they don't go up again, they'll give a little bit more, and so on, and so on. I told you before by Jan 2020, we might have a W10 we will be able to migrate to.

• RoxEroX says:

This is what really worries me:
        1. Microsoft violated the integrity of Security Updates by injecting a banner ad.
        2. They violated the users' trust by defaulting the Cancel X on a window, and proceeded to load and install Windows 10.
        3. They promised unlimited storage, then took that away for 15 GB, and then 5 GB. Really a "Bait~n~Switch tactic to start charging for cloud storage.
        4. They knew all along that there upgrade policy to Windows 10 was unethical and they also knew that when the number of Windows 10 installs, stalled, they knew they would have to come out a admit that they were a little over-bearing.

I guess it might be obvious that the government Anti-Trust dude has left the building.

Their corporate motto - Cloud first, mobile first,......... consumer last!"

After 2 failures in the mobile arena, and a blatant lack of concern for abandoning Band users, when will it stop?

Why should I trust anything this company says or does?

• harmlessdrudge says:

Absolutely right. Trust is gone as far as I'm concerned. Never again.

• BinBin2k17 says:

User interest, and more importantly user TRUST may have eroded by then.

• cr_buck says:

So essentially what you are asking for is a Windows XP or maybe Windows 98 mode. Turn off everything that makes Windows modern.

• Bob Grant says:

No, we're asking for a Windows 7/8 version, where we can completely turn off the telemetry that is defaulting to "send Microsoft my first born child".

• MarkZ says:

Bingo. The predictable "just go back to DOS" idiots are worth replying to arrogantly enough that it blows up their systolic BP as they sit at their cubicle plotting their next brilliant attack..

• Adrian S says:

Umm, Not all of us want Ms toi know everything we do on our computer, we do nto all want to have a computer Os that seems to not know when to shut up and keep putting up messages that I have no interest in. If my Os is doing something that it should not be doing then i want to know, but not when it is doing it's job.

then you get MS trying to get everyone to have an MS account, so they can spy on us even more.

• anchovylover says:

Doesn't W7 have telemetry these days and automatic updates? Did I read that correctly?

• MarkZ says:

Not if you block or uninstall those trojan updates that add telemetry, no.

The problem with 10 is no uninstall or OFF option for telemetry..

• anchovylover says:

Hi Mark, so W7 users can still block individual updates?

• BinBin2k17 says:

There are ways... but not through the regular Update channel.Even the security rollup is unfortunately infected with invasive software.The one thing W7 users can do is disable Updates altogether.The only update which can still be blocked is 971033... but that one only affects people with older SLIC's.

• anchovylover says:

OK, thanks BinBin. So the billion odd W7 desktop users out there are now receiving auto updates and telemetry. Tech people like you guys can avoid it however I would never recommend a normal every day user disable updates. For these users the reasons for remaining on W7 lessen every day. For these users auto updates are a good thing.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Slow down just a notch ;) Updates are not automatic and can still be set to "Notify" or even "Never check"... the big change is they come in Rollup format, which allows Microsoft to bundle in invasive software knowing full well most of the population will have to accept it because they do not have the know-how to remove it.There are still far more reasons to be running Windows 7 than there are to be running Windows 10... the most obvious would be stability.But user control and lack of bloat is right up there too.

• anchovylover says:

Oh I see, my mistake. I don't run W7 anymore although have fond memories of it. So you can still set updates to " Notify " which is how I had my units set up. Can you individually choose which updates to install or is that what you mean by Rollup format? Is it no updates or all updates and nothing in between?

• BinBin2k17 says:

There are 2 Rollups... 1 is Security related and the other bundles the Recommended patches.A few updates like 971033, .NET & Kernel updates remain as individual patches.For the most part the Updates are in Rollup format now and that would be how the average user installs them.Thankfully software exists which can sift through installed patches and remove Telemetry.

• anchovylover says:

OK, cheers. So at the end of the day the average every day user on W7 now has telemetry and auto updates. Am I reading that correctly?

• BinBin2k17 says:

Update delivery remains unchanged, only the format is different.Individual patches are Rollups now.They can still be rejected.

• Adrian S says:

doing that Ms have mucked up, certainly now thay have decided to roll all the updates up, that means I will now not update windows 8.l again.

If Ms wants to get on the right side of people then give them a choice instead of thinking they know best.

• anchovylover says:

In principal I agree that giving choice is best. However, having said that I don't think auto updates for every day users is a bad thing. I'm not talking about full OS upgrades rather just normal patches and fixes.

• Adrian S says:

Depends what are in those auto updates and it would be nice if we had the choice, not having Microsoft decide for us.

• anchovylover says:

I don't consider you or frequent users of sites like this as " every day users ". To keep their devices secure those people really have little choice in trusting MS, Google and Apple to keep them secure. I note that for the tech literate like yourself MS will be allowing updates to be paused for up to 35 days. That should help to ease some concern.

• Adrian S says:

But we have no idea what are in those updates and will not be able to pick and choose.

• John Chhouk says:

Oh for Pete sake it isn't that hard to give people a simple off switch people aren't asking for the moon. All ms has to to win back trust is make sure their products work just as well with cloud as it does off because if cloud goes down you're screwed and the ability to turn things you don't need off and have it stay off. Many are even willing to concede to auto updates if they were limited to critical updates and patches that keeps things running and safe and only if your patches work properly in the 1st place. Microsoft managed to do this decently until recently. I wonder what changed? What do you think?

• anchovylover says:

True, however I have no response that can ease your frustration. 🤷

• Adrian S says:

I know, still meaning to go back to Windows 8, not that it is much better now, just have not had the time to do so.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Software can be modernized, data cannot.There is nothing modern about snooping through someones drawers.

• Adrian S says:

Do modern have to mean spying on people? A modern Os for a computer in my opinion is one that that runs in the background, running software I want to use and allow me to launch the software and use resources for doing that.

Cortana, a tiled start menu, trying to get people to stay permanently logged in to servers is not my idea of a modern computer OS.

• cr_buck says:

Would you not consider a computer modern which has a built in assistant that does what you want for you and makes sure the things you need are wherever you are. That and more require cloud connectivity and someone to be the one to hold your data. Same goes for an assistant in real life. People who had the money to afford an aasirtant had to give them access to their personal info and more to do their job. If our phones do that then desktops need to as well or be left behind.

• Adrian S says:

That is not being modern, that is just another way to spy on us and to know what we are doing with the pretence that it is something we want.
        I hold my own data on my own drives, I do not need or want Microsoft to hold it for me, I do not need a built in assistant, talking to my computer is something I do not really want to do. not that I can on here anyway as there is no microphone permanently switch on.
        My phone may be able to do these things, but it don't mean I use them, I do not use Ok google, i do not even have it enabled.
        Being left behind sounds good to me if being modern is sending all my info to Microsoft.

• Pecan says:

Win 10 doesn't have a built-in assistant so your point is senseless.
        Win 10 makes it harder to do what I want so your point is senseless.
        Win 10 doesn't require cloud connectivity so your point is senseless.
        My phone isn't my assistant so your point is senseless.
        My assistants don't tell someone else my information so your point is senseless.
        My desktops do different jobs to my assistants (and phone) so your point is senseless.
        If I wanted my desktops to waste their time being phones I'd install an application (that's like an 'app' but useful) to do that so your point is senseless.

Thanks for playing. Care for another try?

• cr_buck says:

Not that I believe I was ever addressing you but...

Windows 10 comes with Cortana, which is a personal assistant. In the early stages but one nonetheless.

As for making it harder for you, there are always exceptions. The MSP I work for has seen a sharp drop is customer support requests and an uptick in customer satisfaction with clients who have switched to Windows 10. Let's see, a couple thousand people versus one.

I never said Windows 10 requires cloud connectivity. I said the "modern" functions require cloud connectivity. It's by definition. You can't have your data follow you with a connection of some sort.

Your phone isn't your personal assistant. Again, personal experience. My point is moving forward with a modern OS and all either have or are working on personal assistants. Just because less than 100% use it doesn't mean those features don't require a connection or cloud processing.

I didn't say an assistant tells other people your information. I said, just like a living and breathing assistant, a virtual one requires you to allow it to know the very personal information about yourself or it can't do the job.

As for desktops "wasting their time being phones" more power to ya. The lines have been blurred for a long time even going back to when companies tried to make smartphones in the first place and modeled them after computers. Companies are working on different methods to make work for efficient for a group of people. Legacy applications are starting to show their age in more ways than one and the public is showing where they want business to go and they are trying to follow. Of course that doesn't mean everyone agrees. For those people you can shut off every modern feature to your hearts content.

• Order_66 says:

Windows hasn't been "modern" since 2012 when they began forcing regressive changes to the OS.

• Pecan says:

2010 - It bombed first on Windows phone, then 8, 8.1 and now 10.

• Order_66 says:

Remember when Ballmer had the iPhone funeral? haha

• Pecan says:

I don't actually. Since I'm only really interested in desktop and larger machines I didn't pay any attention. Was that a 'One Windows Phone to rule them all' type of proclamation from Der Fuhrerbunker?
        If so, it was half-right - there was one Windows phone.

• Hall9000 says:

Sorry but I don't understand your reasoning. How the hell does turning off telemetry make Windows 10 not modern? Unless modern means we have to be under total surveillance???

2. Martin Cohn says:

MS tosses a couple of crumbs and makes a press release. No problem guys, others have taken care of your issues for you. Their blather reminds me of a telephone hold recording reassuring me how seriously a company takes customer service (as it plays for twenty minutes).

• Another_Lurker says:

If MS took privacy seriously there would an off setting for no telemetry being set to anyone.

• Ordeith says:

If people took privacy seriously Chrome and Android wouldn't be the successful products they are.

• MadMartigan says:

Privacy shouldn't be taken seriously. It is little more than a clever little prison many people would prefer to die in rather than leave.

Ask yourself why you have to hide who you are and what you do. If everything about you wasn't such a poorly kept secret, would it be worth anything at all to Google or Microsoft?

/sits back to watch the down-votes pour in.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Not even worth down voting.Anyone who has any type of decency and understanding of basic human rights read your comment, laughed a little and kept going.

• MadMartigan says:

Good little prisoner. Unwilling to even give it the merest moment of consideration.

It's not your fault, really. Through the careful application of fear over centuries by those in power, you never really had a choice. You hide behind what you've been programmed to believe, as your "argument" only proves. You've never bothered to actually put any thought into it - just as you've been trained.

Privacy is a concept that did not exist prior to the belief in moral superiority and, hand-in-hand with it, that of shame. No decent person would invent it nor argue it was something you were "born with".

You use it as a shield; but it is little more than a prison.

Wow, that's deep man. I like it 😎

• BinBin2k17 says:

You are wrong, this issue is internet related.The privacy you speak of and the privacy I speak of are two different things.

• MadMartigan says:

You believe it to be that way because you still have not put even a moment of thought into it. You will defend your imprisonment to the point of absurdity because you have no other choice.

Exactly the way you've been conditioned to.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Conditioned eh, well... they did a pretty horrible job :)

• MadMartigan says:

The phrase, "You have no idea", has never been more apt.

• BinBin2k17 says:

If people didn't take privacy seriously, Windows 10 wouldn't have barely cracked 20% marketshare after being free & forcefed for an entire year.

• Ordeith says:

That's just people being lazy.
        although it did bounce above 30% on StatCounter this last weekend :)
        and it's still growing at a faster rate than every other available OS. So there's that.

• BinBin2k17 says:

It hasn't even hit 25% on NMS, and it's obvious it isn't above 20% on Desktops.

• Ordeith says:

Like all those desktops used for gaming that make Windows 10 the #1 OS by a wide margin on Steam?

• BinBin2k17 says:

Gamers represent a tiny, itty-bitty fraction of Windows users.And even then it's only ahead of Windows 7 by a nose hair.

• MyDisqussion says:

There would be enough fanbois out there, especially those on the bleeding edge, that if there were an issue with a new patch or driver, Microsoft would still get notified soon enough to do something about it.

3. nvic says:

A large step in the right direction, but it still lacks a "None" option.

They claim they need certain vital information for it to work and give us only a "Basic" option, yet they have Enterprise versions with an "None" option that work perfectly fine. What gives?

• tasburath says:

There is no "None" version in Enterprise. Even set to 0, Enterprise still sends some minimal information to Microsoft.

4. Adrian S says:

Just had a thought, their new web-based privacy dashboard would need a MS account sign in, so Ms are still trying to get people to have a MS account and this is one of doing it. sing up for a spying MS account so you can see how much we are spying on you on windows 10.

Well done MS.

• Ordeith says:

Taking a page from Google, once again.

• Ryan says:

Microsoft is trying to make Windows 10 like Android. I like Windows 10 and am happy with all the features they're putting into it now.

• Pecan says:

Microsoft IS, indeed, trying to make WIndows 10 like an uglier Android. I wouldn't use Android on a desktop either.

• Bob Grant says:

Except Google's OS has always had local settings that are able to completely disable all telemetry, and they really work.

• Ordeith says:

And we know that's not true, because you said it, Truth Denier.

• Adrian S says:

But Google operating systems is for a smart phone or tablet, people know what google does, Windows is for desktops. If they want to make it like a Phone Os that is fine, do so, but then give desktop users a proper desktop Os, not the have baked Os that windows 10 is.

• Pecan says:

Exactly. One size only-designed-for-touch doesn't fit on desktops.

5. TechFan says:

This is great, as long as they keep it clean, and easy to understand and manage.
    Being a huge Google users (products and services), I'm don't see all this crap as spying. In the big picture, data collection is the future, it's what they do with it. Google scares me a bit on this topic, MS does not, yet.

6. tasburath says:

I went to the web site and signed in with my Microsoft account.

Apparently my Lumia Icon was last seen in Surprise, AZ.

I've never been to Arizona and my phone is sitting in my desk at home. Nice to see they are collecting accurate information.

• Pecan says:

Is that the 'zero location' for (MS's?) GPS? IIRC there was an article about the residents there getting all sorts of trash emails and snail-mails because they 'supposdely' made 90% of the world's (I exaggerate) web-searches for just about everything.

7. BinBin2k17 says:

Data collection is not the future.Don't listen to TechFan, he is a known troll.Yes, if you sign up for an online service you will transmit obsurd amounts of data... it's inevitable.But if you don't then your data is secure.You choose what to signup for.Data collection is the future of the service, not of your locally installed OS.People who use services will transmit data, and people who don't, won't.I don't need Spotify as I own my music, I don't have a Netflix account because I buy my Blu-Rays & I don't need Facebook as it serves no purpose to me.So someone like me (in the future) won't have to worry about invasive tactics.Microsoft will realize the OS is not a service, because if they don't they will go down with their "vision".

• Ordeith says:

Google doesn't care what you do or do not sign up for, they will collect your data regardless.

• BinBin2k17 says:

How stupid are you? can you not read headlines? do you not know how to tap with your stubby little finger on Google articles? This is a Microsoft article... A MICROSOFT ARTICLE.I don't care what Google is doing.No one leaving a comment on this thread cares what Google is doing... contribute meaningful posts or go find a hobby.

• Ordeith says:

Microsoft shouldn't have to be crippled by being forced to play by different rules than the rest of the industry. If you are unwilling to change the industry then just shut up about it.

Forced... lol, hilarious!

• MarkZ says:

So, "Microsoft should be just as scummy as the things I rant and rave Google is being scummy for".

That it? Moron.

Hypocrite

• TechFan says:

It's being collected by Google, as you must agree to their terms. So you are correct, you don't have to sign up for anything, just use anything they offer or have their hands into (3rd party companies too), and they collect data.

• TechFan says:

LOL - Boy are you lost. Data collection is everything, it's a multi-billion dollar business. Even if you don't sign up for one thing, if you use the internet, data is being collected. Buy anything at a store, data is being collected. Use any Toll electric payment (so you don't have to stop and pay cash), data is being collected. Put you money into a bank, data is being collected.

On that note - you are correct. You can go completely out of your way to keep your privacy (it will cost you). But you are on the internet now, posting, using a browser, data is being collected on you.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Really? I had no idea that data was collected when I connected my email to Disqus and chatted with fangirls all day long :D I am not lost buddy, I know when data collection is necessary and when it isn't.My post above draws an accurate picture of the industry whether you like it or not.

• TechFan says:

I still think you are lost, at best making drama where there is no drama :) But we can both assume we will never agree on this topic.

• Fantasm says:

"Buy anything at a store, data is being collected"
        True...
        Unless you use cash and refuse to give them any info...
        Checkout girl: "May I have your phone number?"
        Me: "Are you planning on asking me out?"
        Checkout Girl: "No?"
        Me: "There's your answer..."

• TechFan says:

Very true - but that cost you.
        We put everything on our credit card, pay it off each month (they make nothing from us on interest) - But we get points, about 800$ a year in points. So paying cash, cost you.

I also noticed in Chicago, if you don't use their EZPass, you can pay cash, but it's twice as much (they say to cover the labor).

I love you example about the phone number :) I'll have to use that next time.

• Pecan says:

Data-collection, like everything else, outside user-control has no place in a desktop OS. The desktop IS different from a phone/tablet, not just because of the mouse/keyboard, which 10 still fails to address properly, but because of the work it is used for.

8. MyDisqussion says:

I guess I can't toss away Spybot Anti-Beacon yet. At least my Windows X Enterprise is in a VM, so I can roll it back if I want to.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Recent Telemetry Updates (including those built in to W10) are designed to bypass any and all attempts at blocking it.Software like Spybot's Anti-Beacon would be usefull if this was 2013... but it's worth the price you paid for it in 2017.

• Adrian S says:

But them spybot and other software producer will just up their game and block out any telemetry updates. If people really want to get rid of telemetry they will.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Not saying it's impossible.But right now, short of uninstalling them and praying crumbs aren't left behind when you do... there isn't much that can be done.I have yet to see 1 piece of software produce 100% confirmation and proof of Telemetry being defeated.Older Telemetry can be disabled easily with Spybot, which is why I say if this was 2013 that would be fantastic software.

• Adrian S says:

but Spybot is not the only software out there that does this, always possible to block data, unless you are saying that Ms is going to make sure that if the data is blocked then windows will not work.

Going by what you are saying then we should just sit back and let Ms do what they want? i am to be honest fed up of companies thinking they can do what they want, including our supermarkets in the UK, who comes out the customer matters and yet still treat us as just a means to make money.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Agreed.There are many devs out there releasing software in a bid to help users control the data flow on their PC's.However, these new Telemetry Updates, are only new in a sense that they are enhanced versions of previous Telemetry Updates.They were (i'm assuming) released after much testing and i'm quite sure MS was happy with how they performed.MS knew users were disabling key data collection processes and (again i'm assuming) put much effort into designing these new versions to bypass any restrictions put in place or attempts to disable them altogether.Nothing is perfect, eventually someone will find a way to shut them down without uninstalling them.The more knowledgeable folk will block MS ip's in their router etc... but no one out there has proven their software actually works.So don't put blind trust in anyone.I stopped Updating my Windows 7 in September and I don't plan on ever Updating it again, so what lol.I wouldn't even trust a Security Update from MS anymore.

9. pmdci says:

Every time you turn one of these off, Boltman cries a little inside.

Like a little girl.

10. m1ssblinky says:

I will take a more moderate approach to this than BinBin did lol and say cudos to Microsoft for doing something and not just ignoring the issue,but it still isn't enough.There should be an off on the telemetry and they need to stop showing us ads.

11. TechFan says:

I predict that they same bullshit people will bash what MS is trying to do. The same people that really don't care about data collecting as they use the internet, and if they aren't using MS products and services, the odds are they are using Google products (most likely an Android phone). I just find it all so hypocritical.

Data collection is they way it is. Google being the worse (but honest about their business model), Not sure why it bother's people about MS when they are eager to use other's that are worse, other than some weird corporate hate.

• BinBin2k17 says:

If you want to be a little Microsoft fangirl wearing a sheep suit that's your choice.But don't you dare think for one second that you speak for the rest of us.Deflecting the issue Google's way only shows readers how much this issue worries you and the rest of the sheep.The only thing weirder than corporate hate is corporate love.

• Fantasm says:

How do you compare what people do on an Android phone to what people do on their desktop computer?
      I really get tired of hearing this nonsense...
      Google something on a phone and people expect the results to go to Google... Only an idiot wouldn't...
      However, if I am writing code, editing photographs or drawing up a legal document or writing a text file, listening to music or watching a movie on my desktop computer, I expect what I do to be private. Why is this so hard to understand?
      A phone and a desktop computer ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

• Ordeith says:

But if you're writing code, editing photographs or drawing up a legal document or writing a text file, listening to music or watching a movie on an Android device It's ok that Google monitors all of that?

• Fantasm says:

Did I say ANDROID? No, I said DESKTOP computer.
        Please try and understamd they are NOT THE SAME!
        I don't care what other people do on Android.

• Ordeith says:

Of course, but you also didn't speak against it.
        Well they came for your Android using neighbor, and you were silent. You were complacent in letting the world change and you waste time attacking the result.of that change instead of the cause.
        You missed your chance.

• Farms says:

That's it good old Ordeith can't stand to hear the truth about Windows 10 .

• Ordeith says:

Hello again, my obsessive little pet troll.

Can't stand the truth about Google, can we?

• Farms says:

Good morning please feel free to pick me up on any spelling mistakes again , this article proves MS are getting worried about Linux etc and MS are going in decline .

• Ordeith says:

And they continue to have nothing to worry about.

• Adrian S says:

But how many people would write a legal document on a an Android based device?

• Ordeith says:

If Google has shown anything, it's that there is an abundance of morons in the world that would try.

• Pecan says:

Sometimes you hit le mot juste :-)

• Adrian S says:

Sadly you could be right.

12. BinBin2k17 says:

"And regardless of your data collection choices, we will not use the contents of your email, chat, files, or pictures to target ads to you." - Again Myerson shoots himself in the foot.Read that phrase again... because they are (in not so many words) telling you that they have access and are accessing your personal files.Yes they said chat & email, both of which are expected to be monitored, but he also mentions files & pictures.Once again Microsoft is not saying they don't have or don't abuse access they may have to your personal files, they are saying they won't use them to target ads to you.Unbelievable.

• Fantasm says:

"mentions files & pictures"
      Microsoft has always said "Documents" in the past, trying to avoid letting users figure out on their own that Documents includes files and pictures...

13. RejZoR says:

Why the hell is "Privacy" category in Win10 settings for then if they need yet another stupid page that does the same thing and yet it does nothing? Even if you switch all off it's still transmitting stuff to all sides and ends. It's ridiculous. I don't have anything against telemetry, when it's being sent to one address only. Microsoft's in this case. But people who have tracked the connections, they go to so many places outside of Microsoft it's absolutely ridiculous. And unacceptable!

14. Johnny Number 5 says:

Well that's lovely... now Bill Gates knows I'm into she male pron too.

15. MarkZ says:

So, no Telemetry=OFF option, just a slightly different UI on the same old settings. Nothing has changed, MS still hasn't learned, and 10 adoption will remain stalled at 24% as most people and businesses remain on 7 to avoid all the headaches.

Microsoft is so out of touch with their customers, they might as well be on the moon.

• Ordeith says:

Windows 10 still has a higher growth rate than any other OS available.

Everyone else must be even more stalled.

• BoItmanLives says:

Actually, that honor goes to Windows 7, which gained more marketshare than 10 last month by a ratio of 2:1

• Ordeith says:

No it really doesn't. Windows 10 had the higher growth rate.

(and of course Bob would upvote your provably false response, he really has a problem with truth)

• Fantasm says:

Ummm Boltman LOVES W10.
        If he says it didn't do as well as Windows 7 then I'm inclined to believe him....it must have nearly killed him to make that post....

• Ordeith says:

Fine. Go ahead and calculate the growth rates (if you didn't fail math). Come back with your findings. I'll wait.

That's the beauty of math, it removes ambiguity. Your belief doesn't matter when the math shows you're wrong. :)

Lol.

• Bob Grant says:

The actual name is BoitmanLives, you can find that out when you go to the profile page... Still, I love the comment. lol

• Farms says:

Ordeith has got no friends ohhh so sad .

• Ordeith says:

So you can't do simple math either? What went wrong with your education?

• anchovylover says:

Who are you and what have you done to Botman 😎

• Ordeith says:

The same schools that continue to cripple students with Chromebooks failed you and your math challenged upvoters, Boltman. How sad for them.

• BoltmanLives says:

This above is a fake BoltmanLives
        They have been reported and flagged
        Comments 4 Recommends Followers 0 Following 0
        Sad

• Richard Saunders says:

Desktop OS maybe, however in terms of computer OSes overall, Android is by far the winner. Last tally (November 2016), Android was seeing 1.5 million new device activations per day, on average.

• Ordeith says:

Oh dear, another math failure that can't calculate rate. How sad.

• Richard Saunders says:

The figure I gave you is in fact a rate, and doesn't need calculating.

• Ordeith says:

The figure you gave me does nothing to refute what I said: Windows 10 still has a higher growth rate than any other OS available.

• Richard Saunders says:

Right then, let's do that. Windows 10 has had roughly a 7% month over month growth rate since Microsoft stopped pushing it to Windows 7/8 users.

Figure 300 million devices, that would be (.07x300)/30, or roughly 0.7 million activations per day, which is just below half that of Android.

You're welcome.

• Ordeith says:

That's not comparing growth rate. You'd be terrible at picking stocks.

• Richard Saunders says:

Actually I do quite well with stocks. And while this isn't strictly speaking a growth rate, it translates rather well into it given that most people are holding on to their devices much longer than they used to.

Also you made a big fail in interpreting Android usage share as no growth (and you likely also made a fail by citing NMS or statcounter numbers.) Remember that the smartphone market is still growing at a fast rate. Those usage numbers roughly mean that Android didn't gain any market share, but they don't tell you anything about growth on their own.

• Ordeith says:

Their market share growth rate is quite negative.

• Richard Saunders says:

Even if your netmarketshare numbers did actually show usage share (they don't) that isn't negative. You're talking a 0.04 point difference, which is well within a rounding error. Can it indicate no growth? Possibly; that really depends on many things, but it's certainly not negative.

Quit trying to interpret numbers, you totally fail at it. The only accurate numbers you can ever tell anybody is how many pimples are on Boltman's butt.

• Ordeith says:

Always the millennial. Failing at numbers AND maturity.

Millennials: Dream small, live small.

• Richard Saunders says:

That's you; you're the one with no job, no life, and a micropenis. Boltman is never sure if it's you or the cat.

• Ordeith says:

Whatever you need to tell yourself to feel less like the pathetic immature millennial you are, Richard.

• Richard Saunders says:

What's pathetic is I very thoroughly debunked your attempt at denying that Android is growing much faster than any other OS, which you then tried to divert into an argument about smartphone market share, and after I debunked that you then just did your usual ad-hom attack with a "no, it's not" while not offering any kind of supporting argument at all.

• async2013 says:

You so own this idiot Rich. I do enjoy reading your conversations and how stupid you make this buffoon look
        No offense to buffoons!

• Ordeith says:

Now you just made yourself look stupid right along with him.

Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

• async2013 says:

Yeah he owns you everytime. Facts are there plainly for the neutrals

• Ordeith says:

It hasn't happened once. That you mistakenly think it does indicates that you side with his unsupported ignorance and in doing so you reveal your own stupidity.

Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

• async2013 says:

Umm no 86%. Now be a good little boy and ask buttman to shove your figures back into your ars3

• Ordeith says:

What is it about Google that makes you and Richard so obsessed with sticking things in your ass? Is it the constant requirement to bend over and take it from them that causes you guys to lash out this way?

• async2013 says:

Dud you see that?

That was a deflection!

Generally used by the knowledge deficient fanboy.

• Ordeith says:

Is that what you're doing?

• Pecan says:

I played this silly game for a while too. You have to understand Ordeith is going to determinedly stick to saying 10 had 2 users, now it has 4 ... Wow! It's growth is x2, while 7's is only x1.1, from 10 million to 11 million.
        The fact that that means absolutely nothing except failure for 10 doesn't interest him. If you still decide to play you may be lucky and see him compare this to share-selection for growth or return again though. Oops, he already has (below)

PS: Ordeith - latest figures I've seen show surface products selling a lot better than I expected. Studio is also making an impression on content-creators. Apologies, while I (still) think I'm right about metro/UWP being a backwards step for desktops I have underestimated the backlash against Apple's stalled product-line.

• Ordeith says:

Growth rate matters, Pecan, sorry you'd like to pretend otherwise. (You'd make a terrible investor).

• Pecan says:

Except that I've been rich and back at least twice, including USD$m++ from MS. Neither I suspect are true of you.
        There are so many reasons why your argument is worthless I'll just give you the two simple maths ones:
        1. The sum of a series depends on arithmetic or geometric progression.
        2. Can't plot a trend from a single datum.

You're going to have to work a whole lot harder - like trying to provide evidence for your opinions - before I'll bother explaining why of two stocks of equal purchase price, no future value and different returns brains buy the higher return.

• Ordeith says:

My average stock ROI is ~20%. There are years where I have topped 50% (Although those were fairly risky). I love compound interest. :D.

But even looking at the trend Windows 10 maintains a higher rate of growth than any other OS. That is true for 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 12 month comparisons. The question isn't is it growing at a faster pace than everything else, the question is can it maintain it.

• Mihăiță Bamburic says:

Disqus says there's no issue with your comment, so...

My average stock ROI is (currently) ~20%. There are years where I
        have topped 50% (Although those were fairly risky), there are years
        where the market as a whole did terribly and it was a challenge to stay
        above 10%, even with short sales. I love compound interest. :)

• Pecan says:

Exactly! So, we're on the same page and you'll stop pretending I don't understand the maths?
        I keep saying this year Win 10 will boom - despite that Gartner report BN readers will have seen. I'm still saying Sept-Dec for when it takes over from 7 as the 'standard' desktop OS. That's more aggressive/optimistic than most fans' estimates (MS, obviously, just lies so we'll ignore their propaganda). I'm still saying it's a good OS. I'm also still saying MS are the best people to make a desktop OS.

I'm also saying 10, on the desktop, is buried under such a pile of crud that the only way MS are making it universal is by burning customer-loyalty and trust. That's what this article is about. (Did you see my PS to you about surface, by the way? Can't remember where it actually was). Burning customers is, by definition, going to hurt short/medium term and there's just no balance in favour of 10 *on the desktop*. The strategy required/requires cross-device which bombed with Windows Phone. Therefore 8 failed and ipso facto 8.1. 10 is SO FAR failing in the marketplace for the same reason (and despite xbox gamer support). *gah 1.30am, I've lost my thread ...*

*...Oh yeah* I'm starting to see Surface, especially Studio capitalise on the backlash from Apple's stagnant designs (which, I admit, I under-estimated). That starts to make 10 look interesting across different devices and that, in turn, starts to make it look tolerable, if not desirable, on the desktop. All-up, if MS are really lucky, they'll lose (say) a few % of their desktop customers to a falling market in exchange for 5-10% of the toy market. Well, at least it's nice to see that there's SOME method in their madness :-)

So, short- to mid-term MS burns desktop users, like me and my clients. In the long term, of course, we are all dead. (At least, I'll have retired before this pays out for MS, if it ever does).

• BinBin2k17 says:

"I'm still saying Sept-Dec for when it takes over from 7 as the 'standard' desktop OS." - No way, no chance, zero.

• async2013 says:

"My average stock ROI is (currently) ~20%. There are years where I
        have topped 40% (Although those were fairly risky), there are years
        where the market as a whole did terribly and it was a challenge to stay
        above 7%, even with short sales. I love compound interest. :)"

Copy and pasted beautifully. Just thought I'd make an ars3 of someone totally out of their league

• Ordeith says:

You're totally out of your league again? You don't say!

• async2013 says:

I could quite happily paste where you got your original paste from right here to show people the arse that you are.
        Don't worry I've just copied your post in its entirety for quoting purposes just in case you do a swift edit Roger ramdick

• Ordeith says:

I would love to see it. I don't know why someone would be plagiarizing me but it would probably be good to know about.

• Ordeith says:

Looks like I called your bluff.

16. Yanta says:

Not even close to enough!

The very fact that you have to visit the Microsoft site to "manage the collected data" says it all. And rather than having to continually visit the site to clear the data, it should not be collected and stored on Microsoft in the first place.

...your Microsoft Edge browsing history is sent to Microsoft so that
    Microsoft features and services may use this data to provide you with
    timely and intelligent answers and proactive personalized suggestions,...

Translation: Targeted advertising.

...And regardless of your data collection choices, we will not use the contents of your email, chat, files, or pictures to target ads to you....

Uhuh... But you still collect all this personal information. Then if not for targeted advertising, why do you need such private information. Stop collecting it!

I'm sure some people will be sucked in as always... But for most, we can only hope they can see through Microsoft's disingenuous attempt at placating its customers

Unfortunately sounds just like Google. :/

• anchovylover says:

Yeah, we all get it! You hate Google! Given this article is about MS and W10 you are getting a little spammy with all the Google posts.

• Ordeith says:

The double standards people have are unreal.

• anchovylover says:

I do agree with your point though, I'm an Android user and it would be hypocritical of me to complain over W10 privacy.

• Bob Grant says:

Not really... Your Android handset has local privacy settings, (including a 'completely off' telemetry setting) and can be used without a Google account.* These are standard, and have been for as long as I can remember. (v2.3 was my first introduction to Android, and I've used every major version since, except 4.3)

* Unless it's a really cheap handset that has 3rd party modifications to the OS. (then anything could happen)

• Ordeith says:

Google doesn't even anonymize data they can tie to an account anymore. Funny how you fall for their dog and pony show all the time.

• Bob Grant says:

There are 2 settings, one is for personalized data linked to the account, the other is anonymized data for OS telemetry, both can be disabled on Android devices.

• anchovylover says:

Technically you can use Android without a Google account however you can't have access to the Play Store without one. Users would have a gimped experience just as W10 users would without a MS account. I don't use Google Now just as I don't use Cortana although I'm sure they are still active to some degree in the back ground. Bob, what the these local privacy settings you refer to?

• Adrian S says:

Brother have an Android phone, but he do not have a Google account, it is possible to put apps on without the play store, it is a pain, but is possible. My brother do not use apps anyway, i do wander why he got the phone.

As for windows 10, I do not have an MS account and I do what i need to do, not being able to use cortana or the other services do not bother me. The only thing that would bother me is if Ms stopped people signing into Skype wit the old skype name

• Bob Grant says:

Google Now is an easily disabled, and even deleted app... Doesn't run in the background if you disable or delete it.

Local settings in the settings for the OS, security or some such, and it's a nice little slider switch that says something to the effect of "send anonymous telemetry to Google". Switch it off, and the handset doesn't send anything.

Oh yes, I see what you mean. 👍

• Adrian S says:

As have been said many times on this site, people have a choice if they want to use Google, you do not have to use an Android based phone to make a phone call, the problem is there is not so much choice in the desktop OS world. Apple machines are too expensive and people like myself who have been using Windows based machines for a long time would have to start again software wise and Linux, while it is a great Os, do not have all the software available.

• Ordeith says:

Those are exactly the reasons why choice is quickly being removed from the smart phone world. People are ignorantly marching toward the same homogeneous monopoly in yet another segment.

• Adrian S says:

But it is not being removed, you can still go out and buy a normal phone that you can use to do text and make calls. Alcatel, Nokia and even Samsung still produces basic mobile phones, sure they are maybe not as basic as the old Nokia 3310 and people are still pushed to get smart phones but we still do have the choice.

• Ordeith says:

And you can choose to buy a calculator instead of a computer. What's your point?

17. nilst2011 says:

I don't trust Microsoft - and i NEVER will again !

Why? Just curious.

• Ordeith says:

Haters... They gotta gave something to hate.

• BinBin2k17 says:

Because they are liars.Anyone who trusts a proven liar is a fool.

• anchovylover says:

OK, I respect that. Do you feel the same way with Google and Apple?

• BinBin2k17 says:

Haven't used Google anything since 2008, so their practices do not affect me.I have never owned anything with an Apple logo on it.I speak on what I use, and for the most part my tech life has been intertwined with Microsoft.

• anchovylover says:

OK, thanks. No YouTube or Maps/GMail/Search? What phone are you using if you don't mind me asking?

• BinBin2k17 says:

I do access YouTube (sometimes) but always with a proxy and I never login to Google services.I stopped using Maps when they revamped the interface.Never used GMail and I use DDG.I don't own a smartphone, believe it or not i've never owned one lol.I had a cell phone from 1996-1998, that's it.

• anchovylover says:

OK, you are full on with this privacy caper. Fair enough, everyone is free to choose their own way. 👍

• BinBin2k17 says:

You'd be surprised how easy it is though, I don't feel like I have to go out of my way to accomplish things... it's just the "norm" and I deal with it.

18. cr_buck says:

Funny thing is anyone who has been around long enough knows Microsoft always screws things up and makes people mad trying to push forward only to gradually over the years dial it in to make most people content.

It ain't perfect but it's better than what Google and Apple in their own ways force us to accept. Neither Google or Apple has even been making an attempt to listen to their customer base in years.

19. Pecan says:

"In September 2015, Microsoft's Terry Myerson defended how the company has handled privacy in Windows 10, saying in a blog post that 'Trust is a core pillar of our More Personal Computing vision, and we know we have to earn it'."
    Then for more than a year they increasingly adopted more and more underhand, unethical and illegal methods to try to force people to adopt a strategy and OS they didn't want. Those that took it found less user control, more bloatware, more adverts and more spyware. In an attempt to undermine their own previous, successful, products they then sneaked the same spyware into Win 7/8 updates. Meanwhile, in the USA at least, they were pushing P2W third-party cr'app's like Candy Crush onto people's computers without permission or acknowledgement. To make sure things like this couldn't be prevented or uninstalled they then made changes to the PRO version of 10 so that group policies were powerless to stop adverts on the lock screen or clandestine downloads.

"Today, in a new blog post, he says much the same thing"
    So why should we believe him this time?

"but announces two new ways for users to take back control of their privacy"
    One of which requires you to log in with a Microsoft account, the very thing you're trying to avoid. The other 'hides in plain sight' with the pretended innocence of the options, which should read:
    Location - Get forced location-based 'services' you didn't ask for. Send it to us so we can send you more ads.
    Speech recognition - Let us listen to everything you say, so we can send you more ads.
    Diagnostics - Let us watch everything you read, write, type or draw so we can send you more ads.
    Tailored experiences - More ads from us.
    Relevant ads - More ads from other people.

If he wants some trust or respect Mr. Myerson needs to know:
    "Experience" is a weasel term. Don't be that weasel.
    "Feature" is a positive thing. If people will pay not to have cr'app's in your 'enterprise' OS and you have to make them non-deleteable in the cheaper versions, they aren't features.
    "Service" means to or for the customer, not Microsoft.

Same speech next year?

20. Pecan says:

And if the thing I want to buy is a desktop OS?
    Don't know if you've noticed but internet - shopping or research - isn't the only reason to have a computer.

21. realDonaldTrump says:

If Microsoft didn't collect the data they do then they wouldn't have the information they need to fix bugs in Windows 10. Like it or not Microsoft needs this data. It's extremely important for Microsoft to have this information from each and every Windows 10 user. It's a well known fact that none of the data collected can be used to identify a specific person.

• Fantasm says:

I see. That would make sense other than the fact that all those previous versions of Windows somehow managed to get the bugs fixed without the telemetry.
      Windows 10 seems to have more bugs that previous versions so it doesn't seem like this is doing much good...

22. Fantasm says:

Good video, more people should watch it...

23. BinBin2k17 says:

If they have any sense at all they won't wait until next year to implement an OFF switch.Marketshare will grow substantially if they add it soon, people are losing interest though.That one little feature would save Windows 10.I don't care how they do it, add (Not Recommended) beside it, even add a seconday warning like "Disabling Telemetry will prevent this device from accessing The Store/Apps etc"... odds are the people who want it disabled aren't even using The Store or Apps.2017 may be their last shot... the Windows 10 name is already tarnished, pretty soon they'll be burying it beside Windows Me, Vista & 8.0.

24. Captain555 says:

Now we find out they did this change to avoid a lawsuit in Europe.