Meet Google Nexus 7, Kindle Killer

I told you so, in April. Contrary to pundits at the time viewing Google's tablet as an iPad competitor, I saw something else: Google isn't gunning for Apple but Amazon. After getting my hands on the tablet this evening, and comparing the experience using my wife's Kindle Fire, there is no doubt. Google will probably save Android from Amazon, but the end cost may be greater gains for iPad.

By just about every measure -- the exception being buying tens of thousands of retail goods -- using Nexus 7 feels like Kindle Fire, only better in every way. Significantly, the experience is different from using Google Nexus smartphones or other Android tablets. That's because Google Play is so visible. I can't say if that's a function of Android 4.1 Jellybean or how Google has set up the tablet. But content pushes to the forefront, like Kindle Fire, and much of it is similar.

Make no mistake, Nexus 7 is all about content consumption, much the same way as Amazon's tablet and also iPad. Google offers a curated stack that feels end to end. Like Kindle Fire, also iPad, users can read books and magazines, watch movies and TV shows and listen to music. Sure other Android tablets can do these same things, but it's how that matters -- all coming from a single cloud store. Also, the different sections, say for movies or newspapers, feel much like using Amazon's store. If I wasn't at Google I/O, and so home, I would take screenshots of my wife's Kindle Fire and show the similarities.

In the default setup, the main screens fill with Google Play content, one of these on separate screens: My Books/My Magazines, My Library, My Movies and My Music. Boundaries between device and content blur, and the approach is closer to Chromebook than any Android tablet. Nexus 7 is your life in a cloud device. Sure you access local content, but like Kindle Fire there is seamless integration with cloud content and device.

Let's compare to see how much Nexus 7 is meant to compete with Kindlfe Fire:

• They're about the same physical size with 7-inches displays.
  • Resolution is roughly comparable 1280 x 800, but Nexus 7's IPS display looks better.
  • Kindle Fire runs Android 2.3 and Google's tablet v4.1, and there is no comparison; Nexus 7 is smoother and lusher in every way.
  • 8GB storage is same, at $199, but Google offers 16GB for $50 more.
  • Nexus 7 has 1.2-megapixel front-facing camera; Kindle Fire none.
  • Google's tablet has WiFi and Bluetooth; the latter is missing on Amazon's device.
  • The newer Android has Tegra 3 quad-core processor (let's just not talk about the other).
  • Amazon offers its own Silk browser, which uses a unique server-caching system; Google serves up Chrome.

Then there is the similar curated cloud content services and ways they feel alike.

In raw performance and fluidity, Nexus 7 is nothing like Kindle Fire, or any other Android tablet I've used. Actually, performance feels very much like Galaxy Nexus, which is another Google branded, co-designed device (this time with Samsung). Until today, Galaxy Nexus was by far the best Android device I've ever used. The responsiveness of the touchscreen and overall using apps is very similar, and that's with different operating systems. My Galaxy Nexus has Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.

This is one smooth performer, and I'm baffled by how much better than my Transformer Pad 300, which Asus also makes. Actually, I'll sell the Transformer soon after returning home, and I bought it for the quad-core processor and stock Android. Nexus 7 is so much better.

But there's a problem. The user experience is so good -- and in ways oh-so like Galaxy Nexus -- I look at the two and wonder why have both of them. The 7-inch tablet doesn't feel that much larger than Galaxy Nexus' 4.65 display.

Something else: Google goes where neither Apple nor Amazon can. Google+ is a huge differentiator and topic too big for this post. But briefly -- the social network and the many Jellybean enhancements that respond to your behavior and habits. The device is primed for the two Google+ killer features, Hangouts and the new Events. As for Android 4.1, multiple features, including revamped Notifications and new voice response, make the OS more of a personal assistant -- and by demo much stronger than Apple's Siri. But that's all topic for another day.

In April I identified six things I expected Google's tablet to bear -- and they mostly related to killing Kindle Fire: Brand equity, $199 price, superior operating system, curated lifestyle apps, deep cloud service integration, and reference design for other Android licensees to follow. I see these all here. What I didn't anticipate: How closely Google imitates and exceeds the Kindle Fire curated apps, browser, operating system and services experiences.

Nexus 7 is available now for preorder from Google Play. There's good chance I'll replace my wife's Kindle Fire with one very soon, and she loves that device. According to my buying poll, 47 percent of you plan to buy Nexus 7 within the first month of release and another 18 percent in three months. Is that Kindle killing or what?

But is it enough to take out iPad? Not that I see. Nexus 7 success will prevent the Android tablet market from fracturing around specialized versions, like Amazon and Barnes & Noble offer. But the device is more likely to take away sales from these Android adaptations rather than from iPad. Six months from now? Who knows? If you think you do, please pontificate in comments.

86 Responses to Meet Google Nexus 7, Kindle Killer

1. extremely_well says:

In raw performance and fluidity, Nexus 7 is nothing like Kindle Fire, or any other Android tablet I've sued. (Joe Wilcox, Esq.?)

• TechnologyRules says:

It is very obvious that you know nothing about business and have more in common with the many businesses failing to produce a tablet that garners any real demand.

• extremely_well says:

It really hurts knowing all corporates all over the world are about to purchase tablets with an OS made by Microsoft, don't it... And to buy smartphones that integrate well into their existing plethora of Microsoft services, in many occasions re-using/repurposing their licenses for mobile use...

Apple is going down. The raping of their own developers and their own customers is cumming to an end (so to speak). The climax will be the joke of what will be the iPhone 5.

Enjoy being one of the last few on that walled garden of Hell, my masochistic friend...

2. Why have a phone when you can have a tablet? If I remember right the old home phone that was a marvel when you could carry it around the pool was more than 7 inches, weighed more.

• Gary Lai says:

Because you can make phone calls with a phone. You'd look pretty silly doing that with a tablet.

• extremely_well says:

Not if you use a bluetooth headset. I use Announcify app to hear the name of the person calling, then answer on my bluetooth device without even looking at the screen. For outgoing calls you could do a few finger swipes on the screen, or talk into the bluetooth headset in your clearest voice (speech rec apps).

There's a pretty good chance that in a few years I'll carry my tablet everywhere with me in a little man-bag, so throwing money on redundant smartphone plus the extra weight of a second device would make no sense, hence my phone will be my Windows 9+ Pro tablet. Or I'll carry a second extremely tiny cheap not-so-smartphone for backup.

• leojei says:

Video-calling with bluetooth is just awesome!

• TechnologyRules says:

tell that to the id1ots walking around with the samsung Note plastered to their ears!!!

i literally have to laugh out loud when I see them,,,!!! then they put the phone down. (true story)

• extremely_well says:

@TechnologyRules:disqus Both my wife and I occasionally walk around with the Note plastered to the ear, with a hanging folding case in the air. You could laugh all you want, I'll even make a funny/idiot face for ya if it brings ya to full ecstasy ;)

You could also laugh at me while I carry (on my shoulder) my wife's purse/bag while we're shopping and she needs to leave it with me for a moment. I, unlike yourself, don't give a fuck what you or anyone else in the entire world thinks of me. I know (to myself) I'm better than vast majority of the population in practically every parameter God invented, and that really is all that matters.

(When I see people who use Apple products I normally just pity them for throwing away so much money AND ending up using an inferior product.)

• John Mann says:

I'm assuming Fran has a purse to carry around a tablet but unless Jack is willing to carry one, you need a phone.

• TechnologyRules says:

dude you look so old that the only area you might need to leave your bed for is the boys room.

• extremely_well says:

Spoken as a true persona non grata on BetaNews. Enjoy getting banned much? ;)

3. Iain Simpson says:

I really don't think this will kill anything, this wont come close to the kindle, and why put the ipad into this, this wouldn't even wipe the ipads ass. Barnes and Noble will be on W8 or WP8 soon and this will fail badly compared to any of the above.

• testmenot says:

I agree the iPad doesn't belong; it's like comparing a Ford F-150 to a Honda Civic for trunk space. And I agree that the Nook is a joke; having the lowest specs and fewest apps. But the Kindle Fire sucks too, due to its lower specs and fewer apps than the Nexus 7. How can you possibly think that this won't come close?

• TechnologyRules says:

How about brand awareness and brand association.!!!???

Amazon has both...
        Google has "google it" awareness... thats it.

When people ask "who makes it" and the sales rep answers "asus", the customer will then proceed to ask for the iPad they actualyl came in to buy.

when people think asus they think cheap knock off "economy" brand...
        when they think amazon, they think internet behemoth. they think, i trust these people, they think they are safer going with what they already know.

• testmenot says:

IMO (just as you've been expressing yours), I don't see *EITHER* company as having a brand awareness or brand association advantage. Rather, they both have *VERY STRONG* brand awareness and brand association.

And, no, the sales rep will not say "Asus" when asked who makes the Nexus 7. They will say "Google" and only say "Asus" if the customer presses them further (like you would). But if you insist on comparing their products head-to-head, you're comparing apples (no pun intended) to oranges. The Nexus 7 is *NOT* aimed at the same market share as the iPad. It's aimed directly at the lower-cost (don't think cheaper or lower build quality), smaller 7" tablet market; basically right at the Kindle Fire, B&N Nook Color and Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

And, for the record, I love my iPod Touch 3G, Mac Mini and brand new MacBook Pro. The iPad is just too large and expensive for a tablet device I'd like to own.

• Gary Lai says:

Why won't this come close to the Kindle Fire? In what way is the Kindle better than the Nexus 7?

• leojei says:

I think he's saying about current user base.  Current Kindle Fire users won't switch to Nexus 7 so its userbase remains.  The only way Nexus 7 will success is to attract new potential tablet buyers, that iPad is too expensive and Kindle is missing stuffs like cameras for whoever wants video-calling.

• TechnologyRules says:

This offer nothing the fire doesnt already offer...

• testmenot says:

Wrong, TechnologyRules. Higher Resolution, faster processor, larger app store. All for the same price.

At least do *some* research before you post nonsense.

• psycros says:

Congrats on the most retarded comment of the thread so far (I'm still reading).

• TechnologyRules says:

so you read your own comment then comment on it before your done writing it??????...

wow that is a new low for geeks.

4. Gary Lai says:

I agree, Kindle Fire's days are numbered unless Kindle hits one out of the park with the Kindle Fire 2. At $199, it's practically an impulse purchase compared to an iPad. But I do wish Google would brand an 8.9" - 10.1" tablet with HDMI out.

• 1DaveN says:

Google and Amazon - neither can kill the other.  The competition will benefit from consumers as each tries to out-feature and underprice the other.  But, Amazon is too entrenched to be hurt badly, just as Amazon was never able to hurt iTunes despite being 30 cents a song cheaper.

The other thing is, people will be reading Kindle books on Google tablets, which benefits Amazon - they get to sell the content without taking a loss on sales of the reader (Fire).

At least so far, Amazon seems to be the only one making their content easily available on any device.  That's a plus for them, but mostly I think any competition is a plus for consumers.  I've long wondered if Amazon's growing market share would embolden them to raise prices - IMO a worthy competing product from Google helps to make that less likely.

5. Alvin B. says:

But.... 7".... just too little.

6. Mark Lee says:

I wish google would make 8.9 -10.1 tablet, too.

7. leojei says:

As Kindle Fire and Nook proved that there's a huge market for 7" low-end tablets.  The only thing both were missing was a front-facing camera, which now Nexus 7 will attract whoever includes Skype (or video calling) into their equation (and haven't gotten a Kindle and Nook because of the missing camera).

If other content consumption experiences is on par (or exceeds) with Kindle / Nook, imo it should be able to grab some market share from potential tablet buyer, not current Kindle/Nook users.  It will, however, start grabbing existing users if Google and other OEM managed to keep this experience and price point high enough to attract those that want to switch from Kindle/Nook once their low-end tablet isn't up for their needs in a few years later.

• I currently have a Nook color Rooted with CM7 and a Nook Tablet with CM9 nightlies. Alone for what is in the Nexus and ICS already being finished. If nothing releases that is comparitive at the time of Nexus's release to market I will be picking one up. The Rooted Nook units work excellent as a full blown Tablet.

• testmenot says:

I too bought a B&N Nook Color, rooted it, and dumped CM7 on it. After a long weekend of *heavy* use, I returned it to factory defaults and returned it. Without full Android on it, their "App Store" is pathetically anemic. And, even with CM7, the tablet was *way* too slow to be anything but frustrating. I'll likely pre-order my Nexus 7 soon.

8. ladylust says:

Quad Core w/ Android Jelly bean for 199? Its the EVERYTHING killer.

• extremely_well says:

I'd rather spend $250 and get a slower, ICS (with custom ROMability), 10" tablet... As a KF owner I can say the screen is not big enough for comfortable serious reading, as well as kid's book (illustrated) reading.

9. ilev says:

Speaking of ICS 4.1 JB. Samsung has announced the the SG II won't get the update to ICS 4.04, let alone 4.1.

• John Mann says:

You mean the Galaxy Tab 2 or the Galaxy S2? Either way, they both have ICS already.

• smarterthanuare says:

Very unusual. Nearly all high end Android phones get two major Android upgrades.

• TechnologyRules says:

OMG dude seriously, get off your knees.

All rational people, even non rational like joe wilcox know that android is obsolete the moment you open th ebox since 9 of 10 devices will NEVER NEVERNEVER NEVER get anything for udpates or support!!!!

• extremely_well says:

@TechnologyRules:disqus ...hahahaha so my ICS-carrying faithful Nexus One, and Kindle Fire ICS, and Galaxy Note ICS are mere figments of my imagination....

Most people don't give a shit about the OS of their tablet/phone being upgraded. If they do (like I do), then they get it done regardless of carrier and manufacturer dictates (see above N1 and KF).

10. Adam Burtt says:

16GB isn't enough these days for any serious device designed to play feature-length movies, especially now that HD formats are becoming the norm. 32GB and 64GB ought to be standard options.

11. Alvin Harwick says:

Hmm, I for one am considering the Nexus 7 as a replacement to my original iPad.  I am so tired of not being able to see websites built with Flash and quite frankly the thought of spending another $600 for another iPad model makes my head spin.  I just don't see enough changes between models to warrant a purchase.

I am however concerned about the lack of support for flash memory in the new Nexus 7.  As an option to increase data capacity, I did find battery powered flash drives such as the Kingston Wi-Drive and those offered by Seagate and G-Connect. Besides the Cloud and syncing with a PC, are there any other options available?  Maybe a mini USB to standard USB flash drive converter?   Any other options?  I appreciate suggestions.

• Duncan Booth says:

Before you rush out and buy a Nexus 7, Chrome on Android doesn't support Flash. So I assume that means no Flash on a Nexus 7 although I don't know if you can get round that by running Firefox which does support Flash on Android.

• John Mann says:

This is significant. Flash is actually a major selling point of me.

• Denver Lobo says:

As long as you have the Play Store you should be able to replace anything with a third party app.

• The fact that Flash does not work adds to a reason  I will not buy this product

• testmenot says:

As Duncan stated, there are other ways to get Flash working on an Android device (yes, Dolphin Browser and Firefox support Flash on Android). However,
        Adobe has officially stated that Flash 11.1 is the last version of Flash for mobile devices (although they will continue to provide security updates). Even they admit that "HTML5 provides a similar level of ubiquity that the Flash Player provides on the desktop".

That said, unless web developers decide to build their sites for both HTML5 and Flash, I could easily see them choose one and optimize for it. And, regardless of which they choose, Android can view it. Choosing not to purchase a product because you don't want to make even minimal effort seems lazy.

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Godanit!!!! That darn flash absence makes me unperducteeve!!!!!

GET OVER IT FLASH SUX AND IS WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even adobe abandoned flash, geek!!!!! That argument is so WELL-DONE that 99 percent of geeks have stopped bashing apple for it!

You must be the geek of the geeks, the outsider among outsiders!!!!!

12. smarterthanuare says:

The only reason to buy an iPad over the Nexus 7 is if you really need the higher resolution display. Aside from the display the Nexus 7 is superior to the iPad in every area. Android 4.1 is significantly faster than iOS 5 or the most recent beta version of iOS 6. Google's voice command feature in Android 4.1 is smarter than Siri too.

• TechnologyRules says:

I see you and joe are sharing that crack pipe?

• extremely_well says:

What, you didn't like what he said about Siri? How about what Woz said? Yes, you didn't like that either, cuz you can't say ANYTHING bad about your beloved Apple products, can ya?

Oh, but yes you can. I recall you coming here with a flood of tears badmouthing Apple when 4S was first announced, and all of a sudden later you apparently smoked some of that pipe you keep mentioning, and immediately got overly ecstatic about the same exact shitty product. That is, how to say nicely, FUCKING CUCKOO. ;)

@extremely_well:disqus
        tis have nothing to do with siri... more of the general oblivion some geeks seem to live in. saying this garbge is superior to the ipad in every way... AFTER THE FACT that google itself said it cannot compete with the iPad, makes the geeks look real dum. (cant say more cuz u geeks will b1tch and complain to joe wilcox)

Im surprised your memory is developed enough to remember i said that.

and it was true... I was very disappointed. Then Steve Jobs passed and I remembered how trivial dum sh1t like that really is. That week we lost one of the greatest visionaries and revolutionists this world has ever seen, so knowing he had approved the 4S made all the difference. Jobs was a god among men (and in google's case among boys)

As far as the woz... he also said the iPhone is the best most advanced solid attractive superiorly engineered and his pers favorite smartphone on earth!
        So he is not happy with Siri, but he still uses it. his main point was that it could be better. And in the end, the woz is a teddy bear. like a naive little boy who doesnt know how his comments will be interpreted.

Cookoo? If you mean crazy, yes i will own that... only you have no idea how crazy!

• testmenot says:

ROTF!!!

I can't see how anyone with such illogical and poor stated arguments (stemming from their blatant Apple fandom) and with such amazingly bad grammar and spelling can even begin to think of themselves as a serious technology commentator or anything above a common Internet Troll.

STOP, I CAN'T BREATHE ANYMORE! LOL!!!

13. ilev says:

John Mann,
    I did write SG II = Galaxy S2. It has ICS but not the latest update to 4.04 which it won't get as well as 4.1.

14. SoundMix says:

This ain't no Kindle killer...    Newer Kindle Kindle Fire will be out soon and burn this to a crisp.

• extremely_well says:

Only if it's a 9-10" screen. Subsidizing alone (like with KF1) won't be enough. I'd rather spend $50 more (Amazon's subsidy is around $30 BTW..) to get a bigger screen myself.

15. Google stocks have taken a plunge since their Penguin release. Poor search are now common with Google

• testmenot says:

I would have to strongly disagree. A company (any company) doesn't stick around for almost a decade, weather a significant recession *with* their stock remaining above $250 per share for the last 5 years and just "become another dot com failure".

• extremely_well says:

OBVIOUSLY. Google must penalize sites that "try too hard" since it's clear they cannot compete on SUBSTANCE alone.

SEO is like little league...it's for weak businesses who can't PAY to advertise themselves like the big boys do. If your biz can't survive without relying heavily on SEO, then your biz won't survive, since WHATEVER you do to SEO, if it's not actually improving content and repeat-buyers, will fail in the long run since the bigger cannons WILL do BOTH SEO and actual content improvements, as well as profit-improvement (regardless of SEO).

16. My opinion is that Google has lost itself and will end up like another dot com failure. Their crusade/attempt at fighting 'spam' has destroyed the loyal following they once had with millions of SEO gurus

• extremely_well says:

You mean google will fail because people who artifically modify their websites from its natural content to something they believe will mark them higher in a search result compared to an actually better content site not trying every trick in the book --will move onto abusing other search engines? /sarcasm

• testmenot says:

Google's strength is their unconventional development methodologies and the diversity of their products.And, IMHO, SEO is an artificial way to manipulate search engine results by deconstructing the search algorithms. In other words, "hacking" or "cheating" the system.

RIM anyone???

LOL... I guess you dont consider RIM a tech org?

• testmenot says:

No, I (and most people) just no longer consider RIM relevant. They've made multiple missteps with handling their intellectual property and are now fighting just to remain relevant in the market (see:

Their Playbook was a piece of crap (slow as hell, buggy as hell and with minimal apps available) and their phones just aren't up to snuff. Their slide from "mobile top dog" is reflected by their stock prices dropping from an all-time high of $144 per share 4 years ago to the current $9.13 today.

17. Christopher says:

I agree that the Nexus 7 is not competition for the iPad, but I think it will lay a solid foundation that will enable Google to compete directly with them with later android tablets.  As the market currently stands, the only weak point for attacking iPad's dominance is price.  Look at all of the other non-iOS tablets that have been released by legitimate companies (Motorola, Toshiba, HP, Dell, etc.) that have flopped because they were near iPad in price.  Like it or not, people perceive the iPad to be the gold standard for tablets.  If they are going to spend $400 or more on a tablet, they will buy an iPad (unless they have a specific reason not to).  Even though the companies making non-iOS tablets are legitimate companies (and I'm automatically excluding companies no one has ever heard of that are selling sub-$200 tablets that have horrible specs and no Play access), consumers have no reason to trust them when it comes to a tablet.  However, if you sell a decently spec'd tablet at around $200, it will sell like mad.  No one was interested in the TouchPad until the fire sale.  The original price was too high, but people were willing to take a chance for $200 or less.  That is why the Kindle Fire was successful.  If though Amazon is a legitimate company, Fires sold like hotcakes because of the price point.  Obviously, certain sacrifices had to be made to hit that price point, but they still made a tablet that is solid for most consumers' needs.  Google is modelling the Nexus 7 market plan on the Kindle Fire plan.  It helps that it outclasses the Fire in most categories, but the key issue is the price point.  Even with better specs, it is no comparison to the iPad.  However, if they sell similarly to the  Kindle Fire, the Nexus 7 will end up in lots of people's hands.  Once people take a chance on a Fire or Nexus 7 (and provided they enjoy the experience), they will be more inclined to purchase future tablet offerings from Amazon or Google.  That's the opportunity to take on Apple, either with a later generation 7 inch tablet with insane specs, or a larger tablet with specs comparable to the iPad and at a similar price point.  You can't just start out competing with a market beast like the iPad.  You have to build up your reputation and good will with consumers first.  If Amazon and Google are competent, that is exactly what they are doing with their initial tablet offerings.

• TechnologyRules says:

Ok your comment is waay too long to finish reading made further painful by the lack of break or paragraphs...

but from what i did read, i can say you are wrong all the way.

If $200 tablets were such a hoo haa then why has the Kindle Fire floppowed out of existance? Why did target decide NOT TO EvEN BOTHER????

Why? Because its garbage thats why!!!

I bought a fire and sold it within a few months. I still have my HP Touch pad (cant pass up a $100 computer) and it runs circles around the Fire and android in general.

• Anthony Washington says:

I've found that many apps work better when run in ICS on a touchpad rather than it's native webOS. Gun Bros for example. Borderline unplayable on webOS. Runs smooth as butter when booted in Android.

18. nilst2011 says:

Tablets are dead, desktop pc's are the future !

19. Aires_OFFICIAL says:

“Meet Google Nexus 7, Kindle Killer“

Hmmm. Not necessarily so. And what a long article this is. lol (Looking very startled in your photo these days Joe).

I don’t like Google. I try to use Bing whenever I can and will only fall back on Google Search if I must. I do not have Gmail, I do not have an Android phone, and I do not intend to get locked into Google Play.

I do however have a Kindle app on my netbook and iPhone (and have bought books for it), I have flirted with the idea of getting a Kindle, and I wouldn’t think twice about buying from Amazon – I have bought many things many times from Amazon in the past.

I like Amazon – I do not like Google. And I will not be the only one. When Amazon release Kindle Fire 2 next month, it is going to sell like hot cakes – mark my words. People like Amazon and there are many Kindle users who will upgrade to Kindle Fire if the price is right. It will be like upgrading your black & white telly for a colour telly – it will happen. It’s not that people don’t like Google, it’s just that they do like Amazon. And Amazon already have the content infrastructure in place and an existing user base in the Kindle. It will just happen – it really will just happen.

And I who has never owned a Kindle or an iPad or an Android tablet, will be buying the Kindle Fire 2, not the Nexus 7. [shrugs]

• extremely_well says:

Most people who got the KF, like myself, and tons of ROM-hackers, bought it due to price alone. If I get another tablet made by Amazon it'd only be if both specs and price are right (and better value than competition). For me that'd mean minimum 9" screen. Rest of specs are less important, but must be very price-sensitive.... In other words I'd gladly get a cheapo slow-ass 10" tablet with no camera or mic/bluetooth if I save at least $50. THAT tablet would be used mostly for media consumption.

20. woe says:

Amazon's ecosystem is better than Google's.............end of story for 95% of consumers.

The hardware only comes into play if its slow/small etc, once its fast/big enough touting technical specifications does not mean anything at all.  Geeks and bloggers that think so, please stay out of business.

The Kindle Fire, like all of the Kindle's before it, will be upgraded and there will probably be a bigger one in the future as well.

Joe knows all of this, but he has to write something.....and he is a Google drone if there ever was one.

• extremely_well says:

What exactly are you talking about..Amazon ecosystem? As an actual owner of KF, I couldn't wait until I had time to re-ROM that P.O.S. flavor of ginger. And "non-techie" owners of KF that I know hate their limited-app-market, slow, unintuitive interface of their KF. They only like the price. They all envy my KF (but are too afraid/legit to give it a brain-implant).

Anything KF offers as far as integration with Amazon systems can be had in zero-time with a separate app on any android device.

People will buy any 4+ star-reviewed android tablet in masses. They don't care about a specific manufacturer, as all of them know by now the major actual components (CPU/screen) are usually identical in all these tablets...and that ANDROID is a very very popular standard.

People today are not people of the 20th century. They experiment, and they do not remain loyal to any software/hardware company, manufacturer, employer, or concept. They're still heavily influenced by ads/commercials, so guess who's gonna win time and time again? The one with deepest marketing pockets who happens to make a decent (4-star is enough) product.

• TechnologyRules says:

He is talking about the fact that amazon sells over $100 in content for every ONE DOLLAR from google!!!!

fandroid sheep have trouble with common sense, thats why they call apple custoemrs sheep...

• extremely_well says:

@TechnologyRules:disqus ... Amazon's profit is less than 1% of revenue, a slight difference from the %10,000 profit you're attempting to color here...

Not that it's even relevant how much $ Amazon makes or doesn't make from POV of customer. As I said, there's nothing sexy about KF's Amazonized interface, not even for the biggest Amazon shoppers, who would still prefer a better spec'ed android tablet at a similar price-point... I buy 2-3 times a month from Amazon and I hated the KF until I flashed it to gedeROM. Do you, or woe own the KF?

As far as being a fandroid, nope, I'm using android temporarily while hating on evil Google. I'll be switching to Windows tablets and phones in the near future (I'll keep android stuff as cheap toys). You can, however, call me a hardcore Microsoft fan. I absolutely love & admire 90% of their products.

• TechnologyRules says:

Joe Thrilcox is the Terminator T100 (or in this case G1000) patroling for the John Conner of the tech world; the Apple customer!!!!

Joe has graduated from Drone A LOOOONG time ago!

• Jack Black says:

Maybe 95% of US customers. The Amazon App-Store is US only (with a few new ones coming soon) and Google Play is worldwide. The US is NOT the only country in the world and Amazon does not have the reach of Google.

For 95% of the rest of the world, Amazon is useless right now.

21. romath says:

For me, a tablet to be seriously considered needs to have four characteristics above all, all travel related: 1) non-clumsy access to email via a non-google webmail site; 2) USB port for watching videos, looking at docs, etc., and (less important) transferring back and forth; 3) a way to hook a computer cable when wi-fi is not available (there are hotel rooms abroad with cable hookup but no wi-fi); and 4) a reasonably fast processor.  And all of that for less than $200, if not for a lot less. I'm no expert on these devices and don't know all the terminology, but from what I can tell neither the Nexus or any of the other lower price tablets have all of those.  That leaves PCs still, either carrying a laptop (heavier) or using a hotel or internet cafe desktop.

• extremely_well says:

If your requirements don't change in the next 5 years, you won't have a tablet for 5 years... Windows 8 Pro tablets will fulfill most of what you need but the price will be far from $200. Since you travel so much (which is very expensive these days), I'm sure you'll find room to budget for a high-end Windows tablet soon enough and leave your laptop at home...

• romath says:

Actually, I don't travel enough to justify a high end tablet or laptop (and I don't think the technology should require that kind of outlay).  Rather, it's a matter of function, which comes down to the real usefulness of tablets, that is, their ability to provide computer basics beyond reading a book or playing games or listening to music.  I could spend $79 or $99 just to be able to read books in a part of the world where printed books in English are not readily available, but I'd still need a PC to meet other basic needs.  That's the catch with tablets, most of all with the smaller sized ones: they're a specialty product looking for more general usefulness.  While I don't know how long (if ever) it will take to break out of that niche, your time line of 5 years is probably not far fetched for us to find out.

• extremely_well says:

@google-bcf5a49e6ba7943a98880a1a3b085057:disqus ... in that case you'll have to keep lugging around your laptop while I just HDMI-plug my sexy 10" Windows 8/9/10 Pro tablet to the TV/monitor of any hotel room/lobby/biz-center to sit and do serious work. ;)

Eventually you'll see the light and you will spend much more than $200 on a full-blown Windows tablet.

22. Sylwia Bialczak says:

If they manage to get a 9-10 inch tablet for 300$ by the end of the year available worldwide, Apple will be in serious trouble in 2013.

• extremely_well says:

Of course it'll be out. Manufacturing cost difference cannot possibly be more than $50 from a 7" panel and a 10" panel...

Apple will continue to decline regardless... iPhone 5 will be a joke just like the 4S was. Windows-stuff and android stuff will eat the Apple to its bitter, seedy core... (@TechnologyRules:disqus ).  j/k TR ;)

23. TechnologyRules says:

Joe, the only killer around here is that crack you are sucking down!

:-)

24. Sigrafix Email says:

Now.. add the rear facing camera from the blackberry playbook + hdmi out or at least support MHL via the micro USB (which it doesn't) and you'd have quite a piece of hardware there.. At $200 it's still not bad.. but not everything you'd want.

25. AJRM says:

Here in UK there is an Avid Kindle culture but they still have not launched Fire here and most people want at least socnet and mail properly integrating can see nexus-7 doing great here if they can beat Amazon europe to delivery,,,

26. Jim Simonin says:

I've pre-ordered one, the final plus in the decision  was the GPS capability using downloaded off line Google Earth maps...   You have to purchase a separate GPS plug in for the iPad Touch! And there's twice the memory at the same price as the iPad Touch...

• danman1111 says:

Very true. The iPod touch is getting long in the tooth. It is now just a music player. I would like to have seen the gen 5 iPod touch have a GPS and 3G. It would have been the perfect texting device.

Alas, Apple didn't share my vision.

27. danman1111 says:

Imagine the playing field:

Nexus 7  at $200
    Kindle 2 at $150
    if Apple makes an 8 inch iPad at $300 - things will be crazy.

I think that if Kindle integrates with Facebook things will really get crazy.

28. Luis Pacheco says:

At $200.00, and all the pros you mention, coupled with the anti-apple sentiment, and apples failure to meet its customers half way on pricing; I'm hoping they (apple) will take it right in the gonads!