Download the Android Oreo beta for your OnePlus 3 or 3T
OnePlus has earned itself quite a reputation for pushing out new Android builds to its users, and it's no different with Android 8.0 Having previously announced that Oreo would be the last major update for the OnePlus 3 and 3T, the Chinese smartphone-maker has now made a beta version available to everyone.
Just last month, a closed group was given access to an early Oreo beta for the OnePlus 3, but now the OnePlus Open Beta program means that anyone who likes the idea of trying out Android 8.0 on their handset can do so.
- Telemetry: OxygenOS secretly collects user data, sending OnePlus a wealth of information
- OnePlus 3 users treated to Android Oreo beta -- OnePlus 3T and 5 won't be far behind
- No more major updates to OnePlus 3 and 3T after Android O
For the most part, updating to Oreo brings new features, but OnePlus notes that the OnePlus Music app has been removed from this build. If this is something you would like to continue using, all is not lost; you can download the OnePlus Music APK and install the app manually.
OnePlus says the update offers the following changes, pointing out a few inevitable quirks of working with beta software:
- Update to Android O (8.0)
- Added Picture in Picture
- Added Auto-fill
- Added Smart text selection
- New Quick Settings design
- Updated security patch to September
- Added notification dots
- Now able to upload photos directly to Shot on OnePlus
Known issues of the first Android O Beta
- Fingerprint unlock may be a bit slow in some situations
- Shortcut to access Google Photos is unavailable
- Stability of NFC and Bluetooth need to be improved
- Performance and compatibility of 3rd party apps will be optimized continuously
- Complete device tree will be released after a week
For OnePlus 3 users, the Oreo beta is being delivered in the form of OxygenOS Open Beta 25, while for OnePlus 3T users it's OxygenOS Open beta 16. You can download the 1.4GB updates from these links, and on the pages OnePlus has provided full instructions for how to flash your phone.