Windows 10 is a very good operating system, but despite Microsoft initially offering it as a free upgrade, many users were reluctant to switch from Windows 7, and it’s easy to understand why. A lot of Windows 10’s big changes -- the Microsoft Store, bundled third-party apps, live tiles in the Start menu, Cortana, Bing integration, and so on -- simply weren't that appealing to users of previous versions of Windows.

Windows 7 still offers everything that most people would want from an OS, but nearly a decade on from its debut, it now looks and feels quite dated compared to its successor. But if the aging OS had a modern makeover, could it win back many of those people who have moved on to Windows 10? I suspect so. Take a look at Windows 7 -- 2018 Edition and make up your own mind.

SEE ALSO:

YouTuber Kamer Kaan Avdan, who has previously created concept videos for Windows 11, iOS 12 and Android 9.0, and most recently brought Windows XP and Windows 95 bang up to date, has the answer with a new video showcasing his vision of Windows 7 -- 2018 Edition.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

As you might expect -- especially if you’ve seen any of Avdan’s previous concepts -- this update takes everything we know and love about Windows 7, and gives it a modern makeover with the Acrylic style applied to the OS. Some Windows 10 features, including the Action Center and Cortana, also put in an appearance here.

There's dynamic wallpaper with day and night options too, as well as the now obligatory Dark Mode.

What do you think of this re-imagining of Windows 7? Do you prefer it to Windows 10? Let me know in the comments below.

367 Responses to Windows 7 -- 2018 Edition is the Microsoft operating system you've been waiting for

1. The Dumb Genius says:

Ehh, still looks a bit too 'Windows 10' for my liking, I see Cortana the wh**e is still there along with the tiles and action center etc. That is basically Windows 10-lite with a W7 theme. No thanks.

"A lot of Windows 10’s big changes -- the Microsoft Store, bundled third-party apps, live tiles in the Start menu, Cortana, Bing integration, and so on -- simply weren't that appealing to users of previous versions of Windows."

See... as far as I am concerned... NONE of that stuff is necessary, or useful to me in any way. All of it is superfluous for the vast majority of people. Want to know why W7 is still so popular? Because it gets the job done without any of this pointless extra sh** to get in the way. Like an OS should.

2. Fantasm says:

While it still looks a bit too much like Windows 10, it still looks far better than W10...
    I really like the look of it though.... looks more like an upgrade from W7 rather than the step down that W10 was....

I'd certainly give it a try. too bad it's only a concept rather than a valid version.... It gives you an idea of just how good Windows 10 should have been....

3. Th3Gr8G8 says:

Wow, sexy. This should be what Windows 10 looks like.

4. Order_66 says:

It looks great for the first few seconds and then you see those ghastly tiles (consumers have rejected those for years), that incredibly weak excuse for a start menu, then Cortana.

And I’m sure it has all of the built in spyware fully intact to the point of being surveillance.

Those forced updates can take away whatever improvements that have been made to the ui in the blink of an eye.

Whatever reprieve from the forced garbage apps (candy crush etc) and built in adware can be reversed (and probably will be) overnight.

Nope, the ui is certainly better, but that’s the outside, it’s whats inside that counts, fix that first then worry about how it looks later.

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

Windows is in the title. So of course Order_66 is here to demonstrate more of his asinine stupidity.

• The Dumb Genius says:

And of course you are here to counter him and defend Microsoft's honor as always. Lol

• James Kelly says:

Another one of @Order_66:disqus's clone accounts.

Lol! If you say so.

• MyDisqussion says:

You've reported it then, right?

• The Dumb Genius says:

Well that would be a waste of time. Believe it or not, I'm not actually Order_66.

• MyDisqussion says:

I believe you. However, if James Kelly is so sure you are a clone, he should either report you or shut up about it. (At least he should keep on topic.)

Can you hear the crickets? I think I scared him off.

• Jarl-Penguin says:

Pfff. You don't bother saying that to Order_66 and his minions that accuse Ace Rimmer of making alts. How hypocritical.
        Note that I said minions, not sockpuppets.

• D_Flag says:

Who are you then? His wet nurse?

• The Dumb Genius says:

Yup that's it, I'm his wet nurse.
        Brilliant comment.

/s

• D_Flag says:

then why don't you let him fight his own battles?

• The Dumb Genius says:

Well, usually I do. I just felt it necessary to point out that there are people on the other extreme too, who will seemingly defend MS to their dying breath.

People insult him all the time for being an MS hater, but I think being the complete opposite and defending EVERYTHING they do is just as bad.

• D_Flag says:

Maybe Order_66 doesn't leave anyone else any room to criticize MS without looking as foolish as he does.

• Fantasm says:

And just what does that prove? It's an undocumented photo of a page with no info....

• D_Flag says:

It shows how uninformed and ignorant Order_66 can be. That's a lot of information he's trying to ignore.

• James Kelly says:

You've obviously been too busy with women and beer to have kept abreast of the comings and goings on Betanews. Do keep up, old bean.

• Jarl-Penguin says:

Nope, actually Captain Sarcasm.

What do you expect?
        Rimmer is a troll. He should be removed for harassing people....

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

False. And how would you know anyway as you claim to have cowardly blocked me and others who call you out on your irrational hatred? Flagged.

• D_Flag says:

Rimmer is a troll. He should be removed for harassing people....

WTF is your problem? Why do you need to insult people...?

• Fantasm says:

It's not an insult. It's a fact.... an insult is a denigrating statement that is inaccurate....

• D_Flag says:

You and Order_66 seem to have the same problem with "facts". It's no surprise you're also just as insulting.

Same with Order_66.

I won't argue that....

• James Kelly says:

I don't agree with this. Ace Rimmer repeatedly points out when users are talking out of their backside.

The fact that you and @Order_66:disqus are constantly on the receiving end of this is no coincidence.

What I have suggested is for the two of you to back up your posts with sources - both of you refuse to do so, and in the case of Order_66, he blocked both of us.

• Fantasm says:

I think you and Rimmer are one and the same....and that is more of the reason why there's no coincidence....
        You have far too many similarities in your posts.... far too many to be a coincidence...

Even so, there is no reason to constantly attack and criticise others for having a different opinion whether YOU like it or not...
        WTF? you think you're special for attacking others?

I've asked before and get no reply.... Why do you think it's acceptable behaviour for an adult to constantly try to put others down and discredit them?

• James Kelly says:

There's one small problem with your theory - I live on a different continent to @Ordeith:disqus - at this exact moment we're on different sides of the Atlantic Ocean.

Check my history, I don't keep it hidden from view. You'll note recently that I referred to Windows 7 PC's still being available to purchase in Europe. There's still plenty of stock left over in the channel here, maybe not so in North America?

------

I don't constantly attack anybody. I just call out those who are blatantly lying or being economical with the truth.

If you were to back up your statements with some facts/sources, then perhaps be could have a sensible, grown up debate. As it is though, anything you say currently has to be taken with a pinch of salt - as there is no evidence to back up anything you say.

• Adrian S says:

don't want those shares going down, rimmer would lose money.

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

The strawman strikes again.

• Jarl-Penguin says:

Or addressing his hypocritical ad hominem behavior.

• The Dumb Genius says:

Yes it can't be argued that he is hardly MS's #1 fan, but aren't some people on here are the polar opposite to that? Reading some people's posts would have you believe that MS are a perfect company who can do no wrong and are on a constant upward trajectory.

If he is an anti-MS propaganda minister then some others are pro-MS propaganda ministers.

• Fantasm says:

Remember, follow the money...
        No one who is against windows 10 is getting paid to be.... There would be no money in liking windows 7 over windows 10....

However, It would benefit MS greatly to have people paid to defending and praising Windows 10....and attacking any detractors...

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

LOL. .The flawed logic you use to justify your attacks and paranoid delusions. Pathetic.

• The Dumb Genius says:

Tbh I doubt they are 'paid trolls' or anything like that cos if they were? They would be doing an awful job for MS by basically insulting people who don't like W10. That wouldn't exactly be the best strategy to get everyone on the platform.

So while I don't think they are being paid for this.. having said that, the level of dedication to an OS is quite mind-boggling at times so I can see why you might jump to that conclusion. I mean like, I love Windows 7 as an OS but I don't feel the need to login every day and rebuttal every single negative comment about it I can find. Lol

• Jarl-Penguin says:

My point. But everyone should address both sides of the issue, not just selectively call out a single group.

• Mike Lukic says:

You should know by now how little he knows of what he is talking about. Great "IT guy" that doesn't know about simple script to get rid of any "forced" APPs and tiles if he hates them so much. Just a simple example of his minuscule knowledge but he wan's all others to feel like a fool for running OS of their choice !!!
        Boasting about his "superior mind" for ability to install W7 on those systems !!!. For heaven's sake, all it takes is to bypass couple of drivers or preinstall them which takes only couple of minutes. I wanna see him install 7 on next gen of those processors. It's not a matter of drivers any more but deep in the kernel.

• TechFan says:

ghastly tiles
      You mean icons with a square border - kinda like iOS.

5. James Kelly says:

No Wayne, it's not what we've been waiting for. It might be what this site has been waiting for, as it's good bait.

• Fantasm says:

"Even the Windows 7 fanboys think it looks awful - and, for once, they are correct."
      I like the looks of it for the most part.... So I guess that means I am not a Windows 7 fanboy.....

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

Everyone here knows you as a Windows 10 hater, Fantasm. That's not quite the same thing.

6. barely_normal says:

"Windows 7 still offers everything that most people would want from an
    OS, but nearly a decade on from its debut, it now looks and feels quite
    dated compared to its successor."

Anyone who thinks that the masterful shading and color coordination of Windows 7, along with any other screen metrics looks dated compared to Windows Last is as delusional as those who support President OrangeGlo...

Aero was, and is, the zenith of Microsoft design.

7. The Dumb Genius says:

Want to know what the true OS we have been waiting for is? (well me anyway). Basically Windows 7 but with support past 2020, an opt-out for telemetry, forced updates for security ONLY, more user control, DirectX12, Cortana and other such gimmicks to be optional not mandatory, no silly 'Creator's Updates' every few months that 99% of people don't give two sh**s about, etc.

In short, W7 with the best bits of W10 but with the worst parts removed. Now THAT would be something.

• Georgia Little says:

Win10 is still little more than a failed phone OS. Take out all the parts of Win10 that the public rejected, such as a cell phone look and feel and added back in some visual eye candy, you’d have Win7 2018 or what Win10 should have been. Today, I'll stick with Win7 for my everyday home system. Until Microsoft releases a PC OS that isn't so ugly in appearance and ugly in deed (spyware), I'll stick with Win7 until I can't. After that, who knows, even linux looks good.

• MyDisqussion says:

I'd be happy to give you some suggestions when you are ready to get out of the kiddie pool and move over to Linux.

• Dany says:

Linux actually looks like a kiddie pool with lots of floating brownies. Don't worry, Linux fanboys have been trying to replace Windows as a desktop OS since the 90's. Good luck.

• Adrian S says:

A fair few have replaced Windows with Linux, in my small circle I know three who have and another who is on the verge of doing so and these are not just home users either. Sure they are not big businesses, but it have to start somewhere.

I know that Linux is not going to get where Windows is, unless something drastic happens, mainly because of the software available for Windows, but it is growing and considering that Linux normally don't have a multimillion pound/dollar/yen/zloty/krone company behind it i think it is doing ok.

• Jarl-Penguin says:

"Linux is more for maybe hobbyist or people who just want to get out out of the control that MS or Apple have and want to go opensource. I can relate to that to be honest. Too much control happening in this world and people don't realise it,"
        Maybe exactly why it is failing as a desktop OS?

• Adrian S says:

i have installed Linux on a couple of laptops for people who never used linux and they seem happy with it, I did also install it on a desktop and all was fine a year until they had to use software that would only run on Windows.

It is not just computers that are controlling and manipulating people, banks, governments, companies and stores, they all do their fair share.

• Jarl-Penguin says:

Yet everyone here speaks as if computer software companies are doing everything bad.

• Adrian S says:

Depends on what you mean by bad?

• Jarl-Penguin says:

Bad at privacy, stuff like that. Noone seems to bother targeting the government or anything.

• Adrian S says:

And the U.S is the worse country for it, apart from say China, N Korea and Russia.

• Jarl-Penguin says:

But noone bothers to target them anyways.

• Jarl-Penguin says:

Linux is incomplete for desktop use. It has no built in support for exFAT USB support, you have to install 2 things from the terminal. You can't use the GUI based installer for Steam as it fails to install itself. No, you have to use a stupid terminal (once again) to install Steam properly.

I never said Linux was perfect. My linux based laptop read and writes to Exfat,

As for steam, I do not disagree with you, but I did not think that many people used steam on Linux, even so it should be sorted.
        Saying that a mate of mine would say, GUIs are for wimps, terminal is the best way. :)

• Jarl-Penguin says:

Yet most people don't prefer terminals. Exactly why Windows is so much more popular.
        So are you saying Gaming is for wimps? Gaming requires a GUI. GUI is not and will never be for only wimps.

• Adrian S says:

I know most people do no use terminals, shame really because they would learn so much more, I am not different either, I used to use the terminal for everything on my Amiga, then I went to the PC with Windows 95 and that was the end of that.

I am not saying anything is for wimps, A mate of mine said GUIs was for wimps. I doubt he was talking about games or software that need a GUI, he was talking about operating systems.
        He would have a terminal based phone if he could. But he can do things a lot quicker in the terminal than I can with a GUI on Linux.

• Jarl-Penguin says:

Well ok. But most people prefer a GUI. If Linux became terminal-free (with an optional terminal), then much more people would use it.

• Jarl-Penguin says:

Also, I am talking about Ubuntu, one of the most popular Linux distros.

• Adrian S says:

I used to use Mint, but now use Manjaro.

• JasonBorchard says:

Unlike Windows, the UI of a Linux install can be completely customized.

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

>But I'm sure you've grown to love the new advertising platform that pretends to be a useful computer operating system.

How do you know if he uses Android?

• Jarl-Penguin says:

Yup, an OS which can't even install Steam properly with the GUI based installer, and otherwise requires a command line to install Steam, and an OS which won't freaking natively recognize your exFAT-formatted USBs (which most are formatted by) unless you freaking install 2 tools from the bull crap that is called "the command line". If you have to switch from Windows, go for a Hackintosh/Hackbook, not some petty Linux distro out there.
        Worth it although it is a pain to set up.

• Nihil Verum says:

I like Linux, but it's just that attitude that turns people off. It's just another OS. Get over it. And I know of plenty super-capable Windows hackers who'd run circles around the snotty Linux ones who like to brag how they know so much more about computing than those "kiddie" Windows users. I just can't believe people have become focused on the operating system to the point where insulting others' knowledge is a badge of honour. (By that I mean not just Linux enthusiasts, but plenty of Windows users right here resort to those same tactics on a daily basis, to be fair.) But one can become just as adept with Windows as they can with Linux—and learn equally as much, all else being equal.

• The Dumb Genius says:

I agree with you, but MS aren't in the business of listening to what us 'little people' want. They will still be going full-steam ahead with their cellphone OS plans because they are desperately trying to be Google and assume that because people like mobiles, that is what they want their Windows OS to resemble (wrong).

I will be sticking with 7 as long as possible too because it seems like the only realistic option for me for the time being. Maybe if enough of us do that it might send them a message.

• Robin Davies says:

Pretty sure Microsoft's cellphone OS is dead at this point.

• Order_66 says:

They’ve got the message over and over again, unfortunately they choose to ignore it.

• Jarl-Penguin says:

But then why are Enterprise users rapidly moving to it?
        I hate Linux UI, prefer macOS over Linux. So much more modern. The title bar annoys me the most.

• Georgia Little says:

I would debate the term "rapidly" but I would say that the enterprise is moving to win10 simply because they can no longer get Win7 support from microsoft. That doesn't make win10 superior in any way to the user.

• Jarl-Penguin says:

Really? Or because more advanced security. Windows 7 support doesn't end for another 1 1/2 years.

• Mike Lukic says:

What about people that think that W7 has gaudy looks with too much overhead that doesn't serve any purpose ?. It looks like a toy interface with all the pizazz of Salvador Dali. I always turned off Aero, desktop picture and that stuff. Computer is a tool, a pliers with pretty flowers on them will not pull nails any better.

• Georgia Little says:

I've checked and Win7 has an ugly mode which would certainly fit your outlook. That way beauty won't have to offend you. BTW I would think that you would advocate using an OS interface via command mode so as not to waste the power of the tool wasted on silly things like graphics, color and other things that make life better.

• Mike Lukic says:

I have beautiful paintings on walls, like to listen to classical music and beautiful girlfriend. No need for Mona Lisa on my hammer.

• Fantasm says:

Turning off all the nice touches is pointless unless you're running a barebones PC.... you're not going to see any real gains in performance...

• Mike Lukic says:

It's unnecessarily distracting at least. Maybe a bit of professional deformation on my part, spent most of my working life building and optimizing machines and tools for factory production and production itself. I have low tolerance to inefficiency.

• Mike Lukic says:

I'm just amazed how superficial some people are. Essentially, you want a beautiful (by your standards) OS that doesn't work on or can't make full use of newest HW !!!
      You don't want "forced" updates but you want it to answer on newest threats. I'm afraid that with your knowledge "more control" means that you will f*ck it up in a hurry and than complain about it.

DirectX, for instance, is much more than a gimmick, it's integral part of most drivers and not only of games. Without it most applications would have ti incorporate own drivers and for every combination of HW imaginable, That would make them several times larger and loose certainty to work on your particular system. Many other parts like that have to be incorporated in OS that would have to be part of any particular application/program if they do not exist in OS. Think .NET redistrubutables, Java, Visual C etc. I would love to see your face when you want to install a simple program to watch movies or play music and it's 10GB+ in size.

• The Dumb Genius says:

Not sure where you are getting these ideas from. Essentially I'm trying to say that the perfect OS would be Windows 10, minus the bad stuff. The aesthetics of it don't matter to me too much so long as it gets the job done, but I feel like W10 in its current state has way too much unnecessary bloat and there is a lot of room for improvement.

10 is a decent OS but could be so, so much better which is what I'm trying to say here. They could tweak and remove a few things and it would become a truly awesome OS, not the current 'half-awesome, half-crappy' OS that it currently is (imo).

And I wasn't referring to DX12 as a gimmick, maybe it read that way but I was referring to Cortana there. DX12 in W7 would be awesome but of course it's used as yet another bargaining chip for MS to try and sway people onto 10.

• Order_66 says:

Oh my, I can’t imagine what we would do without directX 12, I mean hell, we were in such sad shape without it right?

Yet strangely enough I’m still gaming with a pair of Vega 64 cards without directX 12.

• Mike Lukic says:

And without Dx11 or 9 ??? I didn't hear you complain about them in W7.

• Order_66 says:

Did I complain about anything in windows 7?

• Mike Lukic says:

So what's wrong with Dx12 as opposed to Dx11 ? Dx12 is quite compatible with 11 and 9, just one step up.

• Order_66 says:

Windows 10 is required.

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

See how he lets his bigotry dictate his actions? LOL.

"Windows 10 is required"

Exactly. You can have DX12, so long as you submit to Microsoft's will and allow them to force whatever they want down your throat via W10. What a great deal.

/s

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

LOL. Pay for those processors, continue to gimp them with the software. What a maroon. 🙄

8. 1DaveN says:

The older I get, the more fond memories I have of things from the past. That doesn't mean I want them back. I liked Windows 7 so much, I bought it for a new Vista PC I had just gotten. But that was about 9 years ago, so I've moved on. I don't want my 1970 Ford back, either.

• The Dumb Genius says:

I get what you are saying, but newer doesn't always necessarily equal better.

As I have said before, Windows 8 was 'new' compared to 7 and... well, I think that's all I need to say. Lol

• Mike Lukic says:

I do want my '70 Mustang back, and my '66 Mercury pickup but both are scrap by now and so is W7.

• Adrian S says:

I know the feeling about getting older. the problem is I do want some of them back. i would love to get my Amiga back up and running.

• barely_normal says:

Bad analogy, especially if the 1970 Ford was a Boss 429 Mustang. The idea, some things, though not all, were better in the past.

9. MyDisqussion says:

I kind of figured looking at the headline that it was too good to be true. Windows 7 2018 Edition would be essentially Windows 7 SP2, without telemetry. Sure, it won't work on some newer chipsets, but those who are currently using Windows 7 probably don't have those newer chipsets. Those users just want something reliable, that doesn't need to have the latest whizbang useless cool stuff. The UI/Ux would be unchanged from what everyone knows and loves.

10. TechFan says:

Shows you want Windows 10 is - but with skinz

• MyDisqussion says:

Avdan might think so, but then he also appears to have a lot of time on his hands.

You know what would really get me onto Windows X? Offer Windows X Core (similar to Windows 2012 R2). Let me install it with only the bare minimum of items to get it running. If I want a GUI, I should be able to dynamically switch between Core and GUI-Lite, selecting only the things I want to include. They could even include a full version with the Store, and Cortana, et al.

• TechFan says:

I would be for GUI-Lite, Standard, Pro :)

• Terry says:

I use 10 pro 64 on the latest uber box I built but I've had to force lockout auto updates because I also still use media center and after a certain update my hacked in version no longer works and they of course dropped support for it in 10 and are doing everything they can to kill it. If I had a version of 7 that still supports WMC and has some of the cool features of 10 I like I'd use it. I still have a 7 box online from my old build but have 10 dialed in well but I hate being forced to not use things that worked well in 7 but they have decided we can no longer use.
        I also don't like being forced to use the store to download or upgrade things, then it refuses to install because I don't have the latest 10 update that I refuse to install as long as it breaks things I use and like.

• TechFan says:

Good points. As someone that loved Windows Media Center, it is better to just get an Xbox One for 200 bucks, it is dead silent, supports IR remotes, OTA TV, apps, and more. Media Center is dead, it has moved to the Xbox, fraction of the price, and can do more.

• Terry says:

I use it to control my HD HomeRun cable card tuner. There are other options that mostly work but wmc has the nicest layout for finding programs and recording up to 3 at once, plus the new box is so much faster than the old 7 box so I use it to get things done quicker. Wmc is the only option I know of that supports play and record of encrypted movie channels and it just does exactly what I want and works.
        I may eventually get a xbox for sharing my captured media and encrypted stuff to the main setup easily but I can do most everything else with my Android media box and Roku Ultra, plus my 4k smart TV.
        Other option is a tiny dedicated media center box just to save power and free up my monster.

11. "Windows 7 still offers everything that most people would want from an OS, but nearly a decade on from its debut, it now looks and feels quite dated compared to its successor. But if the aging OS had a modern makeover"

I grow weary over terms like feeling dated or looking fresh and modern. If it works well under the hood and is reasonably easy to look at and use then I don't give a sh*t whether the design crowd or some writer thinks it is in style.

As for working well and being easy to use then Windows 7 or Windows 10 fills the bill. Windows 8 was half-baked at best. I know many people don't like certain aspects of Windows 10. I have a few issues of my own.

The thing is, I live and work in the real world. I have to be running Windows for my business. Before too long, I need to be fully migrated to Windows 10 and Server 2016, so I got it done. There are enough tweaks and adjustments to 10 that I can make to address most of my concerns.

Life goes on.

• MyDisqussion says:

This discussion makes me think about iPhones. The scuttlebutt is that no one wants a small phone, but there was a huge amount of buzz about whether Apple would release another iPhone 5- form factor phone. Outdated? Pshaw!

• TechFan says:

"But if the aging OS had a modern makeover"
      And that is called Windows 10 to most people. I guess people can only handle baby steps.

• MyDisqussion says:

Kind of like waking up one morning only to discover that your Pacer replaced with a Pinto.

• TechFan says:

LOL - More like a Honda with an Acura.

• Fantasm says:

That was like the trade-in from Windows 7 to windows 10.... Lose the nice flashy sportscar and replace it with a family sedan.... They'll both get you to the same place, but the sports car looks better and is more fun to drive....

• cyberguy says:

Pacer *snicker* sportscar... pinto *giggle* family sedan... roflmao!

• MyDisqussion says:

I never would have considered a Pacer a sportscar either. That was the one that had a driver's door that was two inches shorter than the passenger door.

• Fantasm says:

"a driver's door that was two inches shorter than the passenger door."
        Really? That's bizarre....

• Fantasm says:

Oh trust me, I was not conflating a sports car with a Pacer... whoever designed/invented the Pacer likely ended up getting fired by the car company.... Probably working at MS by now....

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

Windows 10 outperforms Windows 7, though. You won't sell many sports cars that can't outperform a family sedan.

• Fith says:

nobody but gamers care

• MyDisqussion says:

Not that many copies of Windows X have been "sold". Most were free during the first year *cough* two years, and now through OEM. It's a line-item on a purchase.

• Thomas Lake says:

Noooo! Not my AMC Pacer! That was one of the best cars I ever owned! I called it "The Fish Bowl" My wife's aunt and uncle died in an exploding Pinto but AFAIK no one ever died in a Pacer except for dying of embarrassment.

• Fantasm says:

Drove a friend's pacer once...She was too drunk...

We got stopped by the cops, no tail lights....
        I try to roll the windows down... the handle came off in my hand....
        so did the door handle...
        The cops ended up having to let me out of the car... at gunpoint because they were a little concerned....
        I thanked them.... lol
        It all ended ok, but it was a few bizarre moments....

• Mike Lukic says:

If the aging OS had a modern makeover" it would still be an aging OS. No superficial makeover could make it a "New OS". That would be like taking 10 year old burger and ad some fresh lettuce !!

• psiclone says:

I agree, which is why we should stop calling Win 10 a new OS. Every time MS puts out a "new" OS it's the same bs we had before with a different paint job.

• Mike Lukic says:

Problem is compatibility with old SW. nobody would be crazy enough to get rid of base of millions of programs that already exists.

• psiclone says:

Heard that excuse before, but it's not valid when MS has the same problems cropping up as they've had for years between their own products and their own OS. I'm not buying it and no one else should either.

• Mike Lukic says:

Oh yeah, why don't other OSs can't run those programs directly and take advantage of them ? Granted, with today's HW most of them would run in an emulator. At least the ones that can run in a VM.

• Fith says:

What you just posted is the crux of the issue

• There has been a tremendous amount of work in the Windows Kernel over the past 10 years. There has also been a lot of good work in the "Classic Windows" system software (Win32 API). The parallel OS software that makes "Modern Windows" (Windows Runtime) work has been completely overhauled since Windows 8.1. The Windows Runtime didn't even exist in Windows 7. So your assessment is not quite fair.

• psiclone says:

Yes, you're right. Different looking blue screens now have frownie -faces and we have bootloops on updates more frequently than before. Some of the weird Office related errors are quite unique too. In those regards, I stand corrected.

• Easy to be dismissive of other’s work I guess.

• psiclone says:

Oh you mean like the millions of tech workers and non-tech workers that have to waste time testing MS's products while trying to get their own jobs done. Yeah...like that.

• Sorry, I've no more time to waste.

• psiclone says:

I'm guessing your computer crashed.

• barely_normal says:

No, it isn't. A better OS would have included EVEN MORE VISUAL FROUFROU, to allow the ever increasing graphics power on every computer to be taken advantage of. That is just one of the reasons why Windows Last is not better.

Windows Last COULD HAVE had many of the things found in cutting edge Linux interfaces, such as Compiz, and, proving that the Microsoft programmers were really the geniuses they thought they were, could have quizzed the hardware, to give the USER choices which could be implemented, thereby disallowing Aero and its successor from being put on Windows phones and crappy underpowered tablets.

They really could have had one-size-fits-all, but they were not willing to do the requisite work to form it.

• D2K says:

"I grow weary over terms like feeling dated or looking fresh and modern.
      If it works well under the hood and is reasonably easy to look at and
      use then I don't give a sh*t whether the design crowd or some writer
      thinks it is in style."

I agree. Lots of companies use older versions of Windows for their framework because of the reliability factor. Functionality is more important than aesthetics when it comes to an OS in my opinion. I can streamline it and jazz it up however I want later on if felt it was necessary. These days an OS for a device comes loaded with 80% bull**** apps and programs that you will never use, completely superfluous, and eat up most of your drive space.

• Adrian S says:

A lot of companies use older versions of Windows because they have bespoke software that will not work on newer versions, so run older version, because updating hundreds if not thousands of computers takes time and money.
        The company I work for updated to Windows 7 from Xp last year, I doubt very much if they will update to windows 10 for along time, they have a few thousand machines to do.

• Fantasm says:

Same where I work... thousands of Windows 7 systems.... not likely to change in the foreseeable future....

• TechFan says:

At this point in the game, it would have been smarter to just skip 7. But it also looks like they don’t plan well in general.

• Fith says:

no, they have no use for the time and resources wasted by w10

• Adrian S says:

Like other companies they have got bespoke software that will not work with 10, so 7 was the way to go, i presume at some point the software will be updated to work with 10.

Not that it bothers me, I only use the computers for a few minutes a day.

• greggreen29 says:

Funny how so many tech people think a baker or machinist’s first priority should be computers.

• Nat H says:

Up to date aesthetics usually also means up to date security and bug fixes. It might not always be the case, but it's hard to trust software that isn't being taken care of anymore.

• barely_normal says:

Who was it that said, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it?" Windows 7 was not broken, and whether or not Microsoft wishes to admit it or not, much of the reason for Windows 10 was to relieve problems FOR MICROSOFT, and also give a huge visual change, to justify the purchase of a new OS [let's not fire up the debate about purchase, or free, for any sane person knows that Microsoft IS deriving new revenue each time a person converts Windows 7 or 8.x to Windows Last.

No doubt some of the change was so a newer system of DRM could be applied without much trouble.

Very few of the changes made were to expressly benefit the USERS...

• Steve jobs called it when he said we were in a post PC world. The Desktop/Laptop market has been shrinking for the past 8 or 10 years while the mobile device market was, until recently, growing by leaps and bounds.
        Microsoft saw it too. I think that they wanted to entice people to stay on the desktop with a flash new desktop OS. I think that they hoped to leverage that into a big piece of the mobile device market with an OS that then would look familiar to their captive market of desktop users. Finally Microsoft saw Apple banking significant profits off their app store and wanted one of those too.
        Ballmer famously described Windows 8 has a big gamble. It didn't work out. Windows 8 was OK on touch based mobile devices but it was horrible on keyboard/mouse based PCs. Not fully fleshed out at all.
        Windows 10 has gone a long way to fleshing out Metro into an OS that does work well on the desktop. I think Microsoft has some interesting things going on behind the scenes right now. It may very well be that you are going to see new types of mobile devices that have all the comforts of a PC OS whilst on the go.
        Of course, somewhere along the way, word got back to the Microsoft execs that Facebook and Google were making a lot of money harvesting and selling user data. That seems to be the way of things these days. You get free stuff and the price is just one more little piece of your soul.
        What are you going to do. There is nowhere you are going to turn to enjoy modern technology without being tracked, sifted, sorted, analyzed and marketed.
        Like I said four or five posts ago. You make the best of it. Life goes on.

• barely_normal says:

Sorry, I can't agree. Though not the same, it is 'go along to get along' that allows the problems this nation is facing in the South, and in Washington. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance - and more than a few fell asleep at the switch.

• I understand your point.

• I do understand your point. Let me expand mine a bit. I don’t like a lot of the modern world. I do what I can by chipping in with my two cents here and SlashDot, and one or two other places. I don’t have Facebook or Twitter, etc. I run tracker blockers and ad blockers.

• joshua says:

No driver support for modern hardware. Install xp or 7 on a computer released after Windows 8. No sound driver? A laptop so quiet all you hear is fan noise. Uh, no thanks.

• Missed my point entirely I see. I was saying that Window 7 looks and feels dated is ridiculous and beside the point. I was saying that Windows 10 has come a long way to being a good desktop OS. I did not say you need to run Windows 7 on newer hardware, although most modern hardware still has all the drivers to go either way. I was saying that both Windows 7 and 10 do a good job, are easy to use and look OK. Take your pick.

That support for Windows 7 is ending in a little more than a year is the main reason to upgrade now that they've gotten most of the kinks in Windows 10 worked out.

One last thought, running Windows 10 on hardware originally shipped with XP or Vista is sometimes missing key drivers too.

• baggman744 says:

Windows 10 (like 8) was not about a new, safer, more secure, more reliable O/S. It was about selling apps. Apps, very few in the business world need or want.

• ADRz says:

Honestly, I fail to see what the point of this discussion is. For all intents and purposes, Win10 is Win7 - 2018. I usually attach on this Stardock's utility for a Win7-style Start button and the look and feel of these OSes is really indistinguishable. Lately, MS has started returning Aero elements into Win10 and more are coming. Win10 is much better in terms of settings and controls than Win10, it is a bit faster and friendlier. It plays better with mobile technology. Add to this the functionality that MS has included in the latest builds, and one has an OS that is really better than Win7.

I must admit that I still dislike the Start button and all its tiles, but I have totally banished it with a simple $5 dollar addon (and the Classical one is for free). Thus, it is about time to end this discussion

• I said as much in a post later in this thread. Start10 for your start menu + ShutUp10 to deal with telemetry, privacy and updating + powershell scripts to strip out junk apps. That deals with my Windows 10 issues.

I don’t even bother with the replacing Start Menu, I clean up and customize the built-in Windows 10 Start Menu instead.

The primary point of my post was to chide the those authors and designers characterizing Windows 7 as dated in appearance. I don’t care about fresh, modern design language in my operating system.

• ADRz says:

I hear you. No disagreements here. I have a couple of laptops that run Win7 and, to be honest, the aesthetic difference from Win10 is really minor. However, I do subscribe to the view that Win10 is a safer system and, to a certain degree, I like its connections with mobile systems. There are certain other utilities that are also useful.

12. cruizer says:

Is this a real product or utility that can be installed on Windows 7? I guess not?

• Install Start10 or Classic Shell. You’ll be half-way home. Try ShutUp10 to adjust telemetry, privacy and update settings. There are utilities to strip out the baked in “modern” apps if don’t like them. Perhaps others can suggest a few more things.

13. Mike Lukic says:

Growing tired of phrase " everything that most people would want" !!! Most people want, most don't want, most this or most that for a thing that can't be quantified with any certainty.

What's even worse is that so many people fall for "most want" phrase and like a goose in a gaggle must follow that imaginary "most" leader not even knowing what that means.

• Confused about this says:

"have" is not identical to "want"

• James Kelly says:

If those figures were from Statcounter/W3Schools/NMS/etc. then I'd be inclined to agree.

The fact is though, they are from Steam, and I would suggest those users know what they're doing.

Digging back in older articles....From October 5th 2017

" While Windows 10 has been most Steam users’ OS of choice for quite some time, the last few months have seen Windows 7 slowly gaining ground on the leader. Despite this trend, October’s Steam hardware and software survey data brought some very surprising news: the two operating systems suddenly swapped positions after Windows 7 users increased 22.45 percent while Windows 10 fell by just over 18 percent. "

Betanews(Steam: Gamers abandoning Windows 10 in huge numbers)
        So, can't have it both ways....

Oh and back then, one of Ace Rimmer's fave comments at the time posted in BetaNews ( Steam: Windows 7 now nearly three times more popular than Windows 10 )
        " Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Order_66 • 6 months ago
        Source? "

BTW You and Rimmer both use "hyperbole" a lot more than the average posters ever would... in fact, I think you two are the only two (up to me now quoting it)

The things you see when you use a 2nd browser without logging into Disqus.....

Side-note to Rimmer:
        You appear to have been trolling me constantly like some sick stalker.... grow up.... Stop doing it....

LOL

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

You must have missed all the corrections to Steam and the reasons for them with your cowardly blocking of information you can't stomach. See what you miss in your pathetic filter bubble? LOL.

• James Kelly says:

It's good to see Windows 7 fanboys are now finally posting sources to backup their nonsense. The problem is, you're the second person today who has been found out after using dodgy, out-of-date information.

It's true that Wayne posted that article in October. It's also true that the Windows 7 fanboys became very excited about it. How anybody could be stupid enough to think a 22.45% increase in a single month was possible is almost unbelievable. Unbelievable, that is, until you note the first comment is from @Order_66:disqus

However, whilst busy with women and beer, you appear to have missed this statement from Steam about those very figures you refer to. It's still on the Steam website, if you care to check, but just to show how stupid you have been, here it is:

• James Kelly says:

As far as I'm aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, but hyperbole in America is pronounced "hyper-bowl".

We pronounce it as "hi-per-ba-lee".

• Fantasm says:

I wouldn't know... i'm not in America....

• VRNLX says:

Although, perhaps that's not real numbers. Net MarketShare monitors actually Internet usage so this should be more honest. And like "Confused about this" pointed out it doesn't mean they want it. Most people were forced into the upgrade, and I know many people that regret it. And I'm supporting it at work and the stability is far inferior to Windows 7. Microsoft is doing pathetically at testing their patches.

• James Kelly says:

Netmarketshare is not "more honest". They have a serious problem with bot activity skewing Windows 7 numbers upwards, see source below.

It's the reason why Wayne is no longer doing his good cop/bad cop routine each month posting NMS vs Statcounter.

The problem is well documented on these forums.

• VRNLX says:

I don't hate Windows 10. I just think Microsoft is moving away from caring about desktop operating systems and the quality difference shows. And it's especially an issue in corporate America.

And I don't agree about NMS being inflated. Those numbers don't represent corporations because they're not used for browsing the Internet as much and corporations are still largely Windows 7 (and many are still XP even). But, even assuming that Statcounter has better stats, which can't be proven - especially since there's no spike in the graph that would back up that claim, that doesn't mean the people wanted to upgrade. If for no other reason the updater in Windows 10 drives people crazy.

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

NMS numbers are skewed due to bot activity that artificially inflates their Windows 7 counts. They also make up numbers for regions where they lack visibility. That's what makes them the sole problematic outlier among tracking sites, literally every other tracker puts Windows 10 in the lead.

NetMarketShare's ongoing problems have made it a favorite of Windows 10 haters, though.

• James Kelly says:

Correct and an astute observation.

• VRNLX says:

(by the way, I love your name Rimma')

Smoke me a kipper

• Fantasm says:

Well, it could be worse:

"The RimmerSimilar to the wideley known "Rim Job", however in this sweet sexual act, one must speak in a heavy Eastern England accent while swiftfully and forcefully lining another individual's cornhole. To successfully complete it, the person must yell "Rimmmaa!" in the heavy accent, and then give the Rim receiver a hug.

Last night me mate gave me The Rimmer, and by god I got more than I bargained for! The hug after was just somewhat awkward too..."

• AIn't the Internet grand. Everything can be twisted, distorted, skewed, botted, trolled. According to some we now live in a post factual world. I don't buy that myself.

It seems like some people can't stand it when the apparent facts don't go there way. Windows 7 is on slow decline into obscurity. Much like XP and Vista today.

• Fantasm says:

Not only that, "want" and "usage" are not always the same thing....

There are many that may want to use different setups but are stuck with using something else because of jobs, software or hardware constraints , or financial constraints, or simply because it's not worth enough to change....

14. wr00t says:

Maybe it's time to stop living in delusional world and try to work with what you have on your hands now. I also think Win7 was in some parts better, but no concept videos will make MS to go back to it.

15. Jarl-Penguin says:

Please, stop...
    Seriously?

16. aks says:

I use Windows 7 and Windows 10 but disable all the "pretties" of Windows 10 to make it as similar as possible to the Windows 7 look and feel.
    The thing I dislike most about Windows 10 (other than the vile Cortana) is the way it has become an advertising platform rather than a work tool. I suppose that's why it was free.

• James Kelly says:

"it has become an advertising platform"

Source?

• Robin Davies says:

Seriously?!!!

Source: "Microsoft uses the data we collect to provide you rich, interactive experiences. In particular, we use data to:... Advertise and market to you, which includes sending promotional communications, targeting advertising and presenting you relevant offers." - Windows 10 Privacy Statement.

• TechFan says:

This is a general statement that covers Windows but also when (if) you sign up for OneDrive, Outlook, and other MS services. You wont get most of that with just using Windows.

• Order_66 says:

“Most” lol

Just when I thought your sad defense of windows 10 couldn’t get any more sad.

• Order_66 says:

But in all honesty windows 10 isn’t too shabby.

• The Dumb Genius says:

"But in all honesty windows 10 isn’t too shabby."

Clone account?! Surely....

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

Surely. It's far to sensible a comment to have come from the real Order_66.

Lol

• Order_66 says:

Another forgery by Ace Rimmer reported!

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

Another documented lie by Order_66 flagged and reported!

Your paranoid delusions have you wildly flinging accusations without rhyme or reason. You really should seek some kind of help for your chronic issues.

• John says:

Flinging poo you mean like it and it's primate family.

• John says:

You're a forgery. Reported!

• John says:

Just when I thought your sad hatred of windows 10 couldn't get any more sad.

17. Wilkin Del Rosario says:

Very Nice interface.

18. Scrooge McDuck says:

My issue with windows 10 is if it can be better underneath, why it cant visually look like windows 7 on top with aero?

with a 7+ year better hardware benchmark & better OS

19. Anthony Clark says:

Want!

20. Marcelo Lazzaro says:

Windows 7 is good because is simple, has a beautiful interface and most important, it was always stable.
    Put this crap of Cortana, Edge, this ugly Tiles and others stupid features, just will make it another Windows 10.
    A perfect system must bring the essential.

• James Kelly says:

"and most important, it was always stable."

I won't even bother asking for a source here - because we all know that statement is complete nonsense.

• Robin Davies says:

What is this bizarre fixation you have with demanding sources? How about you provide a source that indicates that WIndows 7 was NOT stable. lol.

My experience with Windows 7: everything ran. Windows updates applied cleanly. Blue-screens were rare. Machines ran for months without rebooting.

WIndows 10: All three of my home machines have been trashed by Windows updates at some point, requiring clean installs to resurrect them. Several pieces of hardware won't work. USB audio is unstable on all three machines, on three separate USB audio devices. Blue-screens happen. Core OS services pin the CPU at 100%. Several pieces of audio production software that would not run on Windows 10. In exchange for what? A bunch of features that I have to spend hours turning off again and again every time a Creators' update hits. Two client presentations that train-wrecked when my laptop crashed, requiring a reboot which triggered an unavoidable and un-asked-for 1 hour update cycle on reboot. And a constant battle to keep using my browser of choice.

So yes, Windows 7 was stable.

• James Kelly says:

"What is this bizarre fixation you have with demanding sources?"

You may find it bizarre, but it's the only way we can get to the truth.

We have a lot of people posting on these boards just spouting drivel and passing it off as fact. What I say is this; if you believe what you are saying is correct, then post a trusted source to back up your argument.

Refusing to do so, and/or blocking users who do (as @Order_66:disqus / @Fantasm / et al do), suggests you have something to hide. Either that or you are outright lying - which is it?

----

"How about you provide a source that indicates that Windows 7 was NOT stable."

I never claimed that it was not stable, I said it was complete nonsense to suggest - as you did - that Windows 7 "was always stable".

Therefore, the onus is on you to provide evidence of that statement, not for me to prove the opposite is true.

----

"Blue-screens were rare."

Hold on, I thought Windows 7 "was always stable" - which is it?

Here we have a perfect example, yet again, of why sources are required.

• Order_66 says:

“What is this bizarre fixation you have with demanding sources”

James Kelly is upset because he lost a lot of arguments on here when it comes to providing sources, he only posts sources that either come from the long discredited Microsoft or statcounter, another completely discredited source because they won’t lift a finger to address their numbers being influenced by bot activity.

It’s best to just ignore him and his fellow document liars and troublemakers Ace Rimmer who also posts as D_Flag and JarlPenguin who also posts as John, Harry, anchovielover, johnandharryloveanchovies and several other pseudonyms.

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

You're the one known to use alts, Order_66. Your accusations continue to ring false for anyone else. Stop projecting.

But thanks for providing an excellent example of the baseless unproven nonsense you post without anything to back it up. You're proving James Kelly's point quite well.

• John says:

What is this bizarre fixation you have with hating MS while giving Google a pass?

• Fantasm says:

The source thing is his way of trying to make himself look right when most of the time he is wrong. It's mostly deflection to make it more effort than it's worth to argue with him and if you post a source, it will usually get discredited... or ignored at best....
        For example,. Order, I am sure, posted YouTube videos from one person, the trolls immediately attacked the guy in the video as ex-employee, disgruntled, unemployed.... and so on... Classic discredit the source by trying to undermine it as much as possible... Yet, the trolls are faceless, relatively anonymous fanboys with even less credibility....

Ignore them... I pretty much figure they are paid shills, or 12 year old fanboys, or at best, employed by MS....

We do?

"because we all know that statement is complete nonsense."
        Source, "that we all know" LOL

It's been perfectly stable for me for years...which is one of the main reasons I don't want to get rid of it....

• James Kelly says:

If Windows 7 was "always stable", then why the need for two Service Packs?

What about all the countless updates that it needed whenever a clean install was carried out?

Why the need to have BSOD's written in to the code? Surely they would never be required if it was "always stable"?

• TechFan says:

Windows 7 is simple for some.
      Control Panels can be confusion vs Settings (that most the world is now use to, from their smartphones). File Explorer is easier on Windows 10, as you can do so much more with the ribbon for things that are buried in 7.
      For people that don't like change and mastered Windows 7 sure...I guess it's simple. I guess staying on the same iOS version or Android version makes it simple too.

21. Buzz Friendly says:

Trying to remember a version of Windows where folks didn't complain about the newer version. I imagine had MS simply keep drivers and patches going for Windows 1.0, made a 64bit version then everybody would be happy and content. The old version advocates are about as amusing as the Apple vs. MS trolls.

• Order_66 says:

People have complained in the past about new os versions but the complaints are quite mild compared to complaints about windows 10.

Stop projecting.

• John says:

It's flailing around now like a fish out of water or in it's case a turd out of the bowl. W10 goes from strength to strength and it doesn't know what to do so it will start to lash out soon.

• James Kelly says:

"but the complaints are quite mild compared to complaints about windows 10."

By the way, the answer is nothing to do with forced updates via the red x debacle, as that didn't happen until around May 2016.

Source:

• rdldiscus says:

"Why then was Windows 10 always ahead of Windows 7 - for each month after their respective launches - for (at least) the first year?" Could it be because Microsoft, as most developers, would eventually cut support for Windows 7, leaving a lot of people out in the cold to fend for themselves.

• James Kelly says:

In 2009, XP still had 5 years of support left. In 2015, Windows 7 still had 5 years of support left.

On that basis, no the ending of support of the previous flagship operating systems cannot be the answer.

Separately, and going off on a tangent - if you look again at that second graph, the Windows 7 fanboys would have us believe that the red x debacle circa May/June 2016 had a massive effect on the update of Windows 10. In reality, it made no difference - or very little difference - to the direction of travel.

The usual suspects will say Statcounter data is unreliable, but the data correlates the same on NMS and W3Schools.

• TechFan says:

Using your logic - how long should a company support every version released to the public?

• MyDisqussion says:

Generally for at least as long as they have indicated it will maintain support for any particular product.

• MJ says:

They should support it per the lifecycle policy not sabotage the previous OS's in order to move more users to Windows 10. Not that I like Windows 8.1 but they stopped supporting it during mainstream support, per their own policy that OS should have had support for current hardware during mainstream support. I don't get why the Windows 10 fanboys/girls back a company that has gone to such great lengths to destroy consumer trust. You can fix this issue if you keep accepting that they (MS) know whats best for you.

• Fantasm says:

Until the date they agreed to....
        I have no argument on that....

But until that date and time they should not undermine it nor abandon it....
        And they should just let it go, not try to sabotage it later on.... such as by doing things like deliberately getting chip makers to not support it....

• Order_66 says:

Ok you got me, I’m removing my tin foil and switching to teh windows 10 tonight.

• James Kelly says:

Great, a sock puppet account of the chief sock puppeteer.

• Fantasm says:

" Why then was Windows 10 always ahead of Windows 7 "

Well the answer to that is simple...

Windows 7 cost money that you had to go to a store and pay a good amount of cash for the physical disk and it couldn't run on a lot of the hardware in use at the time.... most machines didn't have a DVD even to install it from.... and upgrading the PC or replacing it was a lot more money....

Windows 10 was a free install that ran on the same hardware as Windows 7 and was downloaded in the background and then users were nagged into installing it.....

• James Kelly says:

"it couldn't run on a lot of the hardware in use at the time"

You mean the hardware that had been running that dog Vista for the previous 3 years?

"most machines didn't have a DVD even to install it from"

Just going from memory, so don't quote me on this, but DVD-ROM drives started to drop in price and then appear in most PC's around 2000 - 2003, so at least 6 years before Windows 7 was released in 2009. Windows Vista was shipped on DVD.

• Adrian S says:

i think the problem was and still is the way Windows 10 is pushed onto people, that is where all the complaints come from. People will update when or if they need to, not when MS think they should.

this goes back to what I have said before, people are controlled and manipulated and they do not realise it.

• Fantasm says:

Well, you look at the way it was pushed out.

For years we all new that the best way to update your OS was to back everything up. Wipe it clean. Then do a fresh clean install.

Then all of a sudden, we are told it's going to be an upgrade in place over the old setup....

Prior to this, if you wanted an update you did so... you made sure it was compatible, then you went out and bought it, and made the conscious effort to do so... You knew what you were running and what you needed from it...
        If you didn't want your system changed or borked, or your other hardware/software was not compatible... you simply didn't buy the next version and everything was fine...
        Now all that's decided by Microsoft whether you like it or not....

• Adrian S says:

Yep and that is the problem. you are 100% correct.

• neo wales says:

Not really Order66, W10 is a leaps and bounds ahead of W7 and there are still Luddites in this world mouthing off on forums such as this...sad really. Those who worry about 'spying' really should just get on with life or go offline IMHO. Reading some comments here is now tiresome and oikish.

• Fantasm says:

"Luddites" were afraid of automation taking their jobs....

In the long run, the :Luddites were proven to be correct....

• neo wales says:

You are one but still wrong...banging the gong about W10 shows your view(s) are down the pan...very sad for you.

• Fantasm says:

I'd run Windows 10 myself if it was better...
        But hey, I know that ANY criticism of windows 10 immediately labels me as a "hater" to it's fans....

The difference is, the fans are happy with a mediocre OS...

I'd like to see something better....

• Ace Rimmer ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ says:

Windows 10 is objectively better, which shows your views are incorrect. Clinging to those incorrect views and insisting they drive your actions is what makes you a hater. You refuse to look at what's better about it. You're nearly as myopic as Order_66 in your desire to hate at all costs.

• neo wales says:

W10 is a great OS, you just choose not to use it

• Fantasm says:

Yeah because right off the bat, my graphics tablet and pen are incompatible with windows 10....My options are an incomplete workaround that might or might not work... or blow a few hundred bucks to buy something that is compatible....

Then too, I still use Windows Media Center, because that's what my family prefer over Kodi.... and it's setup that way to use it with my Tuner card and EMBY....

Windows 7 seems to work better for my combination of 5 screens and 2 video cards than does Windows 10....
        I also find Windows 10 to be depressingly plain and lame in appearance... which is honestly exacerbated by having large screens... It might look good on a small screen say 24 inches or under.... but on 55" 4K it looks crappy....

I have no use for Cortana, Tiles, The windows store.... frequent forced updates and the constant worry that the next update will kill my system....

and finally, my windows 7 system works perfectly as it is... does everything I need and gives me no problems....

• neo wales says:

Sounds like you are trying to run some old junk on a great OS.

• Fantasm says:

No, most of my hardware is brand name and less than 2 years old.... People like me, who do a lot of photo editing etc, tend to stick with higher end stuff....

• John says:

I'm with you neo but stop calling W10 a great OS. No OS is great and only a sad and desperate basement dweller with hygiene issues would claim such a thing.

W10 is a solid OS that is improving all the time however far from great.

• neo wales says:

I'm loyal to reliability...W10 has given me not ONE issue and runs fine making it a great OS. I don't live in a basement, I live in a detatched Welsh farmhouse and part time in our villa on Gran Canaria :)

• John says:

" W10 has given me not ONE issue "

I use and like W10 but that's absurd.

• neo wales says:

John, I've not had a single issue with installation/drivers/hardware on my five machines at home, neither has my son or daughter...zero problems. That said all the machines are modern.

• John says:

Fair enough. I take you at your word.👍

• neo wales says:

If your not prepared to update your hardware and are happy with an OS thats at the end of its life ... stick with it.

• John says:

How many times do you need to be told this for it to sink into that thick head of yours Fanty!

You constantly upvote the outright hatred and misinformation of Order_66. You openly support his views and as such you are correctly labelled as a W10 and MS hater.

If you don't like that then stop upvoting Order_66's Syphilis affected diatribes.

• Fantasm says:

I will upvote or support whoever the hell I please....
        This whole comment section has gone from being about windows 10 to being about being against certain posters, It's not a comments section on Tech, as much as it's a witch hunt....

Pathetic and sad, like little boys in the schoolyard picking on the ones they think are weak....

As for being a "HATER"... I have said many times I run Windows 7 so I'm not an MS hater....

And I've said before that I'd run W10 if it was better....and at soe point I may have to... But I'd like it to be better, so hardly a W10 hater....
        This worshiping of the W10 OS makes no sense unless you are paid to do it....

Constantly attacking others for their views and opinions is the sign of deeply rooted mental problems....

• John says:

You can upvote anyone you please. Man up and stop squealing like a stuck pig when you are held accountable for your actions.

Your master in Order_66 is a pox on BetaNews. He posts lies and distortions against MS multiple times every day which of course you support. There is no witch hunt. Order_66 is simply being challenged for his MS hatred just as Boltman was challenged for his MS worship.

• John says:

Lies, lies and more lies.

• Georgia Little says:

No one, not even microsoft liked Win 1.0 or any version until Win 3.1. I would say visually, Win 10 is very close to Win 1.0. You could say that Win 1.0 with network capabilities is Win 10.

• James Kelly says:

"No one, not even microsoft liked Win 1.0 or any version until Win 3.1"

Source?

• Fantasm says:

Yeah, I remember the days when Windows first appeared and we were all running DOS.

Up until Windows 3.1 we never thought Windows had a chance...
        Before 3.1 it was garbage.... Only a small few liked it...

It was ugly and slow at least until 3.1.

It was only at that point we started to test it on spare machines. It ran ok for what it did at the time but it was nightmare to run a system with a BBS on.

So for my own setup I had to get another system and run my BBS on one, and use 3.1 on the other...
        Eventually along came the later versions of Windows and things improved....

• rdldiscus says:

I loved Windows 7 and am/was reluctant to move to Windows 10. While 10 may be "fresh" and improved it isn't (and I would say this for almost every version of Windows) upward compatible meaning programs on the old op system would work in the new system. You're SOOL! You're at the mercy of what Microsoft deems "best" for them, not the average user.

• Adrian S says:

i would have stayed with 8 if I did not update my machine, but for some reason windows 8 played up on this machine.

• MyDisqussion says:

Or DOS. DOS 2 kept the slash as a switch, rather than correctly using it as a path separator. Hence the need for the Microsoft slash.

22. Swanny River says:

I Love W7 Cant Wait For This.. Will It Be A Free Upgrade For PPl With W7 Professional?

23. Confused about this says:

I prefer the stability and straightforward UI of Windows 7. If I could have safe and reliable apps on the desktop (they were removed for security issues) the yes I would prefer an update UI version of Windows 7. But more than anything I would like the ability to switch between OS's without rebooting (can do this on any of my development platforms).

24. NGC says:

Keep updating 7. Excellent choice.

25. psiclone says:

Completely stupid. The whole point is that Win 7 users don't give a rat's butt about modern makeovers in the form of more tile-like interfaces that no one wanted or ever needed. The big F-U that MS gave everyone can explode in their face.

26. Future Bardock says:

People need to let go of Windows for the sake of advancing mankind in computing. Windows holds mankind back with the limits MS enforces and by being proprietary black box OS.
    Even entomologist can run Linux. https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmasterrace/comments/8s7biw/when_did_linux_become_the_default_for_you/

27. Sven123456789 says:

Windows 7 was great. My main issue with win 10 is the crappy start menu. Luckily classic shell is around to give me the win 7 feel back.

28. IV XX says:

Still has Cortana which makes it 10 with a different start button. No thanks I stick with Windows 7 2009 edition

• Adrian S says:

Cortana is easy to get rid off

• MyDisqussion says:

Turn off, or get rid of?

• Adrian S says:

Get rid off, delete the cortana folder and that is it, no cortana, True there is a bit of a nack to do it. Also there are other ways to do it that is not so destructive using group policies or the registry

• John says:

In all fairness Adrian, that is not easy. Can you fathom a normal home user attempting that.

• Adrian S says:

It is not difficult, but I do understand where are coming from. Saying that, someone at work who have a laptop did not even know what file explorer was and kept saying that her computer don't have it. So maybe you are right.

• Scrooge McDuck says:

wont it just reinstall next update

• Adrian S says:

yes, but you can delay that update for 12 months, so 12 months free of cortana.

• Billp says:

Turn off Windows Search in Services, so it doesn't re-create the folder. Rename Cortana folder. You can also disable Cortana in gpedit. In the 1803 version it will show in Task Manager but it does show disabled. The pain is that each 6 month update, it restores Cortana and settings. GRRR!

• Adrian S says:

I killed connected user experience and telemetry, so it do not get rid of all telemetry? That is a shame.

• Billp says:

Cortana can be turned off (suspended) by renaming it's directory. In taskmanager right click on Cortana, click on open file location. You also have to turn off Windows Search in Services or it will make a new directory and come back.

29. JohnnyJTav says:

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook AH572 3D originally running Win 7 and had no problems now with Win 10 I can't play Blu-ray discs and Bluetooth will not work anymore. I am in the process to pull my HDD and replace it with a SSD and install my backup Win 7 but I would Love to install 20018 Edition.

• TechFan says:

Wow - Those are from 2010, almost a decade old. Wonder if a 3rd party would play the blue-rays. You can also add a super small bluetooth dongle, if the older cheaper one isn't supported.

30. Fith says:

It is about creating buzz, to make money. Only money. (Kind of like believing that your company's HR department is there to protect you. they are there only to protect your company's money)

31. Fauzan Edris says:

not change my mind
    like seem win 10 with theme win 7 ahaha

32. Order_66 says:

Wow lol

33. David Chura says:

What's that animal that changes it's color, but it is still the same,
    This is windows 10 with a secret cover looking like windows 7 upgraded.
    Windows 10 or anything else they throw at us is still going to be junk !
    Original win 7 or XP both were good and nothing hidden, But this promise of an ugrade, be damned,

• TechFan says:

No - Windows XP was pretty ugly, just better looking than NT. Windows 7 was gross to many too.

Just Google 'Before everyone loved Windows XP, they hated it'

34. psycros says:

Talk about putting the cart before the horse. The reason most people still prefer Windows 7 is because of the user interface.

35. roborat says:

"....but despite Microsoft initially offering it as a free upgrade, many users were reluctant to switch from Windows 7,...

When did we stop talking about how people were reluctant to switch to Windows 7 because XP was such a good OS?

I'm just curious when we can start talking about other things besides rehashing 3 year old arguments.

• MJ says:

Well, the arguments go back to October 2014 when most of us were introduced to Windows 10 (Like it or hate it) so that puts us close to 4 years & here we are with the same issues. So I guess we have until 2022 (2 years past end of extended support) to stop rehashing the 7 VS 10 arguments. That said "IF" MS keeps their word with 10 being the last, I will eventually switch to the crap free version of 10 (LTSB/C).

36. steven01804 says:

No Cortana, no forced updates, no windows app store

37. Tony Jones says:

And windows 11 is way way better than 10.

38. Thos. Edison says:

OK...I liked the puffy-buttoned 3D look, but that's about it. It's Windows 7 - period.

39. Jollyriffic says:

completely missed the mark on why people hate windows 10.
    lets set aside that windows 10 own kernel devs have said MS isn't focused on performance and it shows in most real world cpu heavy tasks, not some junk benchmark you can tailor the software to appear good in.
    The UI is one of those factors, simple UI, that's all most people want. hence why windows 8 flopped. windows 10 is like a slight step back to 7, and yet, most people still rather have a normal start.
    All 7 needs is some new support, specifically win7 needs updates for threadripper.. i can get 7 installed but there's something causing bsod issues. this really boils down to the motherboard you're using. sadly i'm stuck with 10 for now till i can figure out what hardware is causing it. likely network related.
    The more fancy crap you throw at the UI the worse the performance, the slower you get to things, less reliable, and more system resources it sucks up.
    Mac is a fantastic example of that. Their bloated interface murders performance, but so does their anemic cooling.
    Simply put, just give windows 7 dx12 and further support for hardware, that's it. leave the UI alone, hell leave everything else alone. take that bloated UI and trash it.

• James Kelly says:

"i can get 7 installed but there's something causing bsod issues"

We had someone yesterday claiming that Windows 7 quote "was always stable". Not "mostly" stable or "99.999999999999999999%" stable - "always stable".

Here, we have yet another example that it was/is not "always stable".

• Jollyriffic says:

you can have a stable os, and still have issues due to hardware.
        if drivers are faulty, that's not a reflection of the OS.
        saying 7 isn't stable due to drivers for a specific hardware, is like saying because on game is in beta/alpha = steam is faulty.
        The fact that win7 actually installs and runs great is a testament to itself. as stated and you omitted it, is i've nailed down the issue to network related hardware. Likely all that needs done is a simple bios update as may x399 motherboards that have specifically done updates for win7 run fantastic. That support NEEDS to be there from the manufacturer.
        Hell even a simple update from MS could fix the issue, if they weren't holding us hostage to windows 10. They want to monetize your information, searches, and make money via their MS store. this is the singular reason that they will not support 7 officially.
        it could be done, and easily. they simply don't want people on it because they cant data mine you on it like they can with 10.

• Fantasm says:

"you can have a stable os, and still have issues due to hardware.
        if drivers are faulty, that's not a reflection of the OS."

If you want to break an OS, then you can, no matter how "stable" it is, there's a lot that can crash it... wrong drivers, failing memory... failing hard drives... even just changing components and not changing the software to match.... But that doesn't mean it's the fault of the OS....

I definer "stable" as not changing...
        So yesterday, today or tomorrow, there will be no crashes, no new features, no removed "features", and it will run exactly as I expect each and every time I turn it on....It will turn on and give me the exact same level of functionality as it gave me the last time I used it....

• Jollyriffic says:

this is exactly it, you worded it far better than i did.
        my i7-3770k absolutely rock solid on 7. throw 10 on there and might as well just give up. 10 cripples my i7-3770k performance.
        the issues with 10 are vast, across all hardware.
        I wouldn't have such an issue with it, if they didn't spout off like it's the best thing in the world and they made huge strides. really the only thing you're missing in 7 is dx12.. however the games that specifically are built on dx12 are pretty few. Most games actually are dx11 with some enabled features of dx12.
        There are gains to be seen with dx12 even if its actually dx11 with some dx12 on top. i however don't play any dx12 games under w10.. most of mine are dx9 and 11.

• Billp says:

With respect, running on a third generation i7 is probably why you have trouble running Windows 10. It's six years old, that's a grand canyon of differences in computer terms. Windows 10 isn't just a re-packaging of Windows 7, there are fundamental differences under the hood. A lot of unseen changes in 9 years.

• Jollyriffic says:

as to i7-3770k being xyz years old. with a small overclock my performance was within the top 97% performance (clock for clock) of other overclockers of the i7-7700k. intel hasn't done any improvements since. only once ryzen dropped did we see them work on any improvements. specifically why i didn't bother upgrading. i was at 4.7ghz daily driving but if i needed it would jump to 5.2ghz.. windows is windows. unless they move off of 64bit to something higher like 128bit, the OS "should" perform identical, if there's a focus on performance.
        also that statment would suggest that yes, the OS is worse if win10 isn't able to hold a candle to 7 in cpu performance on older hardware. so, something to consider about your reply.

• Billp says:

Always been scared to overclock and have never done much benchmarking or study of Intel performance data, so I can't respond to your post. If it works for you, awesome. You've given me something to look into and think about.

• John says:

" completely missed the mark on why people hate windows 10 "

Utter rubbish, W10 is kicking butt in adoption. You posted lie after mistruth after fairy tale gibberish laced with a helping of diarrhea leakage directly from your poo stained mouth.

• Fantasm says:

Classic.... Who would not want W10 when you see the mindset of someone like this who likes it.....?

• John says:

Says the hate filled princess that obsessively upvoted his master in Order_66 and then complains for being called out for it. What a primadonna!

• Fantasm says:

What I say is none of your business....

40. datPiff says:

I'm sure you'll be able to download it directly and make it better than my bullet 10

41. flaming motion says:

"Windows 10 is a very good operating system"
    Welp, that's where I can safely disregard anything that comes after that statement.

42. TROLL says:

If compare Win7 vs Win10, Windows 7 looks like a new operating OS and Windows 10 looks like very old OS, older than Win98 maybe Win 3.11
    problem?

43. Thomas Lake says:

If Avdan would offer this as a product, I'd buy it!

44. netsendjoe says:

YAASSSS!!!
    Microsoft take note on this guy. His interpretation of User Interface is some of the best concept work I have seen since Windows Longhorn concepts in 2003.

45. cyberguy says:

Too bad this will never exist.

46. Billp says:

There are plenty of things about Windows 10 I don't care for, but even though my PC isn't cutting edge I can't get Windows 7 to install with the incompatibilities of drivers and hardware.

Do you realize; our missile silos are running software that requires the big 12 inch floppy disks (no hard drives) and much of our air traffic control systems are the same age or older. If SMBv1 had been killed off by Microsoft 20 years ago (when they knew it was insecure and obsolete) there wouldn't have been the Wanacry virus outbreak, that has many companies still trying to rebuild. The U.S and other Governments hoard zero-day vulnerabilities so they can hack Windows, Apple, Android, telephone switches, routers...etc many connected to critical infrastructure. Most ATMs and many bank systems (tellers) that store and transmit your financial data run Windows XP.

My point is, change in technology HAS to happen. Holding on to old, obsolete hardware and software endangers us all. Now days it has to happen faster if we want any measure of security in the explosion of computers and networking of IoT and infrastructure.

47. easylink computer system says:

does it support in 8th generation laptop & desktops.

48. shamim says:

When or where we can have it?

49. Dave says:

So basically they have ruined windows 7 with tiles... Hmm I would still stay on my 2013 clean ISO with no spyware updates.

50. TROLL says: