Microsoft facing more lawsuits over forced Windows 10 upgrades

lawsuit_keyboard_button

Microsoft’s aggressive campaign to get customers to upgrade to Windows 10 might have seen the new OS grow in popularity, but the company's approach has, understandably, upset a lot of users. The software giant employed some increasingly sneaky tricks to fool Windows 7 and 8.1 users into accepting an OS upgrade they didn’t want and, inevitably, some unhappy victims are now looking to sue.

The software giant has already paid out $10,000 to a Californian whose PC was ruined by a Windows 10 update, and several US Attorney-Generals are reported to be actively pursuing cases against Microsoft. But on top of that two new lawsuits seeking class-action status have surfaced.

SEE ALSO: Change.org petition seeks to have Microsoft investigated for 'malicious' Windows 10 upgrade practices

It’s been reported by The Seattle Times, that three men are suing Microsoft in the US District Court in Florida, alleging that "Microsoft’s Windows 10 update prompts violated laws governing unsolicited electronic advertisements, as well as Federal Trade Commission prohibitions on deceptive and unfair practices".

The plaintiffs’ lawyer, Richard Chosid, said his clients had been upgraded to Windows 10 without their consent, and that "Microsoft’s marketing scheme falls short of certain protections which must be afforded". Chosid believes damages owed to those upgraded against their will could total tens of millions of dollars.

The software giant’s legal problems aren’t restricted to the US either, as it is also being sued through the district court in Haifa, Israel where it is alleged that installing Windows 10 on users’ computers without their express consent violates Israeli computer law.

In response to the lawsuits, Microsoft says "we believe the plaintiffs’ claims are without merit and we are confident we’ll be successful in court". It also states that "updates to Windows 10 are a choice, not a requirement, and that Microsoft offers free customer support for those who run into trouble. People who update to Windows 10 can roll back to their prior system for 31 days afterward".

Photo credit: Pelykh Konstantin / Shutterstock

208 Responses to Microsoft facing more lawsuits over forced Windows 10 upgrades

1. Order_66 says:

Good, Microsoft deserves this.

• Captain555 says:

What took so long ?

Only two lawsuits?

The amount of moaning and whinging on Betanews alone you'd think there should be hundreds of lawsuits by now.

I'm sure MS will look forward to such a legal challenge to once an for all settle this nonsense.

The funny bit is, by the time this thing is settled there will be a billion users using W10 and GWX will be all forgotten.

• anchovylover says:

Be careful what you wish for rat. It has only just begun. I can turn off Google Now but not Cortana so give it time. The pain for the new Google being MS has just begun.

LOL at new Google being MS

• anchovylover says:

Yep Doltman, can I turn off Cortana like I can turn off Google Now? MS is the new Google!

• roborat says:

You can turn Cortana OFF!

Have you researched or tried things out yourself before you rush to make an ill-informed opinion? It's a terrible way to go about in life!

2. Adrian S says:

The problem is unless it costs MS a lot of money and I mean a lot of money that have an effect on their shares, it will do nothing.

• Captain555 says:

It's still bad press for the company. Not good. Remember my prediction, months ago I said, Nadella will lose is job over that.

• BoltmanLives says:

And where is that even a possibility...just another off base theory out of your head...lots of those

• Adrian S says:

Talk Talk had bad press in the UK and yet they still keep going and now making even more money, so it makes little difference.

3. anchovylover says:

Of course they are and the AU shows why. They suckered millions ( including me ) into upgrading to W10 given we could customize our settings including Cortana. Now in AU Cortana cannot be removed by the millions of normal users. Classic bait and switch by the now evil MS. They did it with One Drive and now Cortana, frankly FU MS! I'm done with you!

LOL at you

• anchovylover says:

Are you proud of MS for the bait and switch Boltman? Do you actually defend that?

• BoltmanLives says:

What "bait and switch" so you can"t turn Cortana off...big deal. No one except you so far upgraded to 10 because you "could turn her off" you then reverse though and made up the "bait and switch' claim..get real .

You know if people would stop wasting time trying to turn off "telemetry fake ghosts" and just using features like Cortana/File History/Universal search then maybe instead of complaining and looking stupid you actually step a foot into the future and better your life.

• anchovylover says:

Answer one question fuckedintheheadman, I can turn off Google Now but not Cortana...why? Is MS the new Google?

• BoltmanLives says:

You waste time trying to stay legacy..congrats

Is MS the new Google?..No

• Adrian S says:

MS is getting worse than google,

• BoltmanLives says:

How? BY not producing anything past a laggy phone or search site?

• Adrian S says:

Because they are being more invasive, at least with google there is more of a choice of phones, the problem with desktops and laptops is that Microcrap dominated the market for so long you have little choice but to use Windows.
        You can also turn off stuff on Android you do not want to use.

• BoltmanLives says:

How are they "More invasive"?

• anchovylover says:

Because you can't turn off the spyware Cortana like Google Now fucktard...that's how!

• BoltmanLives says:

So controls for tinhats? Why not just not install 10? I want more cloud based stuff...bring it on

• Adrian S says:

If you do not know be now, then there is no hope for you, you just carry on being a Micrcrap slave, you carry on the way you are and send all your data to Micrcrap and when it all comes tumbling down I will be here laughing my head off, because tumbling down it will come.

just one scenario that happened last week, went out to buy some groceries, for some reason something happened to the payment system, so no cards could be accepted, I went to the cash only checkout with cash I always carry and paid no problem at all. was in and out in a flash. If I had no cash I would have been stumped.

Legacy I may be in your eyes, but at least I have more control over stuff.

"send all your data to Micrcrap" Lol no

"Also how many systems have been hacked over the last few years, do you really want all that info online?"

Yes so I can access it globally from a protected DATACENTER sure

• Adrian S says:

Globally? i don't think you ever been out of your state never mind your country.

• BoltmanLives says:

"Legacy I may be in your eyes, but at least I have more control over stuff."

LOL and that's a plus?

• Adrian S says:

Oh yes, certainly is, if you lose control then you are nothing more than a puppet.

• Adrian S says:

i wish it was that easy, but apart from changing to a Mac where most of the software I use is available, I am stuck with Windows, the problem is I have to start again with a Mac and since my PC is only used for hobby stuff and not to make me money it really is not worth the cost. Saying all of that I do have a problem hardware wise with my computer and may need to update, but do I go and spend a 300 quid getting a new board and CPU, that is if I changed to Intel, less if I just change the board and keep my AMD CPU or pay extra and buy a Mac?
      the problem is I am not sure if it is the motherboard or the PSU that is the problem.

If I stay with the P.C, then But I will stay with 8.1, it does what I need.

LOL at the battle going in your head...just by a SP4 and start enjoying life

• Adrian S says:

Nope, not powerful enough, screen too small and a crap keyboard.

Also other things which is also my problem with Apple. A system that is locked down, not enough expandability, very expensive and uses Intel.

The battle in my head is really to drop AMD and go for (spit ) intel. If my computer keeps going for the next few months I may wait until AMD new chip comes out.

• WP7Mango says:

What's wrong with going Intel?

• Adrian S says:

i do not like their ethics and the way they tried to force AMD out with dirty tricks.

Those dirty scoundrals

• Adrian S says:

Maybe you have no morals, but I have, maybe that is why you like Microcrap, because they have none either.

• BoltmanLives says:

Not really, I like MS because the move the world forward to new computing ages

• Adrian S says:

Do you really think Microcrap is doing this for you? nope,they are doing it to get more money in their pockets, even if you have shares, it would be a minor thing compared to the people making the decisions.
        Maybe the whole world do not want to move towards Microcrap view of the future, have you ever thought of that?

MSFT is not like Appl you are confused . Go Appl bashing its fun

• Adrian S says:

And you are blind, you really are, take off your blinkers.
        Anyway I have no time to argue i am going out, since I have a day off work to get some air.

• BoltmanLives says:

See ya why not count MS products on your walk

• Adrian S says:

That is simple, I did not see one MS product.

• anchovylover says:

MS share holder, biased and irrelevant.

Nah aware and smart

• anchovylover says:

Says the MS share holder, your opinion is biased and irrelevant!

• anchovylover says:

Biased MS share holder opinion as such ignore!

• anchovylover says:

Biased MS share holder opinion, as such ignore.

• WP7Mango says:

I'm not sure I agree with you. Cortana is a feature of the operating system. Even though you can't disable it (although you can with a registry edit), you don't have to use it.

Are you also upset that you can't disable the File Explorer? You don't have to use it and can install an alternative file explorer.

• Captain555 says:

If you don't want to use Cortana, why does it need to run in the background anyway ? It use resource for nothing. It feed the fear, justified or not, that it is doing something nefarious.

4. Rv71 says:

Has this become M$ new motto. (Microsoft says "we believe the plaintiffs’ claims are without merit and we are confident we’ll be successful in court".). I always thought that if a business has to advertise alot, the product is not worth it. If it's that great people should/would install WIN10 in masses, etc.

5. TechFan says:

This is stupid - If you did the upgrade, don't like it, with a few click, you can downgrade to your previous windows - example video below, but you can Google for the steps.

"three men are suing Microsoft in the US District Court in Florida, alleging that "Microsoft’s Windows 10 update prompts violated laws governing unsolicited electronic advertisements, " - I hope they win, I didn't ask for an ads in my browser, or during my youtube videos, or how many people got Google Chrome when just trying install Java. We want them to win this, so it effects every company out there - no more soliciting.

"The plaintiffs’ lawyer, Richard Chosid, said his clients had been upgraded to Windows 10 without their consent," - Prove it. If he wins this, everyone will say they didn't click anything and got upgraded. These would totally spread beyond MS for lawsuits. But also - just roll back to your previous Windows.

Thanks legacy "Tech Fan"

• bwprager123 says:

Stupid fuck. 99% of users can't do this reversion, and then have constant disabling upgrades to contend with. It's criminal to lie to people like this

• BoltmanLives says:

Where were you when Iphone came out?

• anchovylover says:

How is that even relevant you MS share holder? That was years ago.

• BoltmanLives says:

Its relevant as you are now railing on change now where were you then?

• anchovylover says:

Don't care what you say Doltman, by your own admission you are a MS share holder. As such your biased opinion is irrelevant and you are nothing but a share driven fanboy..

• BoltmanLives says:

You probably are too if you have any Mutual funds LOL

• pi may says:

stop feeding the troll, block him, he doesn't own anything, he is a mental case.

• anchovylover says:

Biased MS shareholder opinion! As such ignore.

• Adrian S says:

If it works, it have been known to fail and people are left with a computer that do not work.

• TechFan says:

I am sure this is small percentage that will crap out. But from this lawsuit, it looks like they didn't know they could click a few buttons and be back in their safety-zone. It's more of point I'm making, there has to be a lot more to this lawsuit that isn't in this BN article.

• Adrian S says:

Well in my small circle of people I know I can count two that have had problems and I had to sort them both out. TBH, i am fed up of sorting peoples problems out with Windows 10.
        i will help close friends and family out, but that is as far as it is going to go in future.

Do it really matter how many it is, that fact is that there have been some and a lot of these people did not ask to be updated to 10 in the first place.

• BoltmanLives says:

But they are now using 10 and that is all in the past..if you helped them it must have been an easy "transition" fix huh?

No, most have gone back to their old OS, so they are not using 10
        Now I am going

"most have gone back to their old OS, so they are not using 10" untrue

• Adrian S says:

How do you know it is not true? you don't even know these people.

• anchovylover says:

Everyone ignore the MS share holder Doltman, clearly he is biased and as such we all laugh at his biased opinions.

• Fantasm says:

Nearly everyone I know uses Windows 7....
        Those that tried W10, are now back on windows 7

• BoltmanLives says:

Cavemen stay in little clans , you all cavepaint too?

• TechFan says:

Faulty upgrades, or not perfect upgrades, is nothing new to Windows, nor Windows 10, or any OS for that matter.

I have made a lot of money fixing PCs when every new version of Windows comes out, for one reason or another. Never did downgrades until Vista come out :( I have never, had to download anyone from 10 yet.

My point, shit happens of course, any OS. You are also assuming, without a doubt, that there is no way possible, they or family member didn't' just click do the upgrade to make the window go away. If it was built into MS Code to randomly upgrade to Windows 10 without someone clicking a button, you would have many, many if not millions of people coming forward. And I doubt MS would put in the code...do it for a random .005% of the people.

"This is nothing new to Windows 10. " wrong

• TechFan says:

I think you misread -
        Maybe I should change me words, as I see your point how I typed it. Done.

Please do

• Adrian S says:

the difference is that when people have updated on the past it have been their choice and most updates was a clean install anyway. Windows 10 was pushed onto people, now that is the difference.

shit happens maybe, but it is not Microsoft that have to sort it out, it is people like you that makes lots of money from Micrcrap not getting things right. Microcrap are not the ones that have to pay out when things go wrong.

• John Chhouk says:

Sorry with late reply but I agree with you. Upgrades are a dicey thing and shouldn't be left in that hands of folks who don't know what they were doing which was almost everyone because not everyone is their own personal IT department. The whole upgrade process was a rush job anyway and and totally underhanded all because they wanted to meet some pr goal that they knew they couldn't mean anyway. So you upset folks for nothing It is hard to feel sorry for ms over this. Honestly, they deserve it too and I hope more cases hit them.

It was like they literally sat around and assume that nobody would have the guts to sue or investigate them so they could do whatever they wish. This isn't going to be a popular opinion but this kinda thing is why ms and tech companies need to be reigned in. THere needs to be clear lines about what they can'can't do and stiff stiff penalties if they do something wrong when it comes to things like this a data collection

I can hear folks screaming this will hurt free market, innovation, government etc...etc. What I'm and a lot of other people are asking for is a system of checks and balances that is actually worth a crap and can actually hold people accountable. Right now tech companies have largely run amok and can do largely whatever they wish until there is some sorta PR issue and even then it doesn't matter. THe only thing keeping them in check is there own set of morals and ethics which can be real loose if not outright tossed aside if it suits them.

• Fantasm says:

More often than not , it fails....
        gave up trying to revert systems, easier and faster to wipe and start fresh....

6. async2013 says:

Oh how the mighty are stooping to such low levels to stay relevant

7. bwprager123 says:

WINDOWS/ MICROSOFT is a TOTAL LYING PIECE OF worthless crap.... THERE is NO
    Windows 10 DVD player that works. You cannot have one. I upgraded just
    like the rest of the fools and suckers; and Microsoft has now
    successfully made my huge collection of DVDs unplayable on a Windows 10
    machine. If anyone here has an idea of how to get REVENGE on Microsoft
    for this CRIME I WILL GLADLY JOIN YOU!. THis is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!~ I have 3
    of these useless goddamn players installed. NONE OF THEM WILL WORK
    NOW!!!!!!~! HATE! HATE! HATE! HATE! HATE! MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!

• BoltmanLives says:

Cool story of user errors

• anchovylover says:

Such a shame MS have stooped so low to outdo Google in the spyware stakes Doltman.

• BoltmanLives says:

Not really but thanks for being paranoid

• anchovylover says:

Not really but please take your head out of MS ass!

• BoltmanLives says:

I like Microsoft and the direction they are heading...quite a feat ti get the world to the cloud. Thanks MS

• anchovylover says:

Of course you do Doltman, you masturbate several times a day over MS. You have MS shares by your own admission so your opinion is irrelevant. You are not an unbiased source rather you are an absolute joke and everyone here knows it!

• BoltmanLives says:

What because I made money? I also made money on CSCO years ago too. Am I a CSCO fanboi too.? Heck I probably own some Crapple in a Mutual fund

I like MS they are great...move the world forward past an insecure age 2 and the era of overpriced 5-6" black/rose gold slabs

• anchovylover says:

You said : I like MS and they are great "! A share holder opinion and an absolute brain dead fanboy! Thank you Doltman for proving my point for all to see. You are an absolute joke!

• BoltmanLives says:

I almost doubled my shares from $32..good call on my part and really good dividend payouts too.

• anchovylover says:

Definately Doltman, nice call. Doesn't change my point though, you are a share holder fanboy joke! Now everyone knows it you tool. You are an idiot and you have confirmed it! Thank You!

• BoltmanLives says:

I almost made 4 figures on MSFT idiots don't do that well my "cloud" foresight really helped guide my purchase of their stock.

• anchovylover says:

Congratulations fuckedintheheadman, thank you for proving to everyone that you are a share driven MS fucktard. Your opinion is obviously biased and even your backers like Ordeith and Roborat are silent. You have been found out as the joke you are!

• BoltmanLives says:

Really? How am I a joke ...everything I have said has pretty much come or is coming true. Appl will fail bank on that

You may not like "Microsoft cloud world" but really whatever its the way its going. Not my issue..reaity

• anchovylover says:

Nope MS share holder fanboy, you are obviously biased and as such we all now laugh at you! Again, even Ordeith and Roborat are silent. You are a joke and now we all know it!

• BoltmanLives says:

You may not like "Microsoft cloud world" but really whatever its the way its going. Not my issue..reality..

• anchovylover says:

LOL fucktard MS share holder fanboy! You have just reposted the same thing, you seem rattled. I am loving this, you have been called out for all to see fuckedintheheadman. Absolute joke you are, your trolling is over on this site!

• anchovylover says:

Come on MS share holder Doltman, respond if you are able too!

• Mihăiță Bamburic says:

Mind the language

• async2013 says:

Amazon

• anchovylover says:

Nope Doltman, we all now know you have MS shares and as such you are a biased source. Your trolling of Betanews is over! We all now know what you are. You are an absolute joke to such a degree even Ordeith and Roborat are silent. We all LOL at you MS fanboy and share holder. Your over inflated sense of importance is gone. [email protected] Doltman!

• Adrian S says:

VLC will still play DVDs in windows 10, not the best player for DVD, but it works.
      the reason why Windows 10 will not play DVDs is because MS do not want to pay out for the use of the codecs, also while I do have a Blue-ray burner on my computer a lot of machines these days do not have opticle drives.

• WP7Mango says:

You can download and install the K-Lite codec pack which should resolve this problem. There are plenty of DVD apps in the Windows 10 app store, including Microsoft's own.

• Captain555 says:

Try VideoLan. VLC for Windows has all the codec.

smplayer works great.

• roborat says:

OK, no DVD codec. Got it. But can you tell us how you feel about Microsoft?

8. MyDisqussion says:

I suspect that the only ones to see money from the settlement will be the plaintiff's lawyers. They will probably take 30-50% of the settlement. The remainder of the settlement will likely not be a cash out, but a discount on Windows Store purchases, or on the purchase of Windows 11 after it is released.

9. BoltmanLives says:

All anyone needs to know:

MOBILE FIRST CLOUD FIRST

Learn it, live it , love it

• anchovylover says:

Says the MS share holder with the vested interest. Give it up Doltman, you are an embarrassing joke.

• pi may says:

ha, you think that jackass owns anything, he's a mental case living in his mom's basement, masturbating and posting dumbass comments is the totality of his existence. just block him like everyone else has.

• MyDisqussion says:

Okay, I think that's a bit too much information.

• Ordeith says:

Pi may can't help it. He has Asperger's or something.

• async2013 says:

Cloud first, customer second..your mobile tanked buttman. Time for a new motto from sadnad

10. trparky says:

This is Microsoft getting exactly what they deserve. They deserve every lawsuit filed against them for the shit they pulled during the Windows 10 push.

The user owns the computer, not Microsoft. The user decides if the OS is going to be upgraded, not Microsoft.

• MyDisqussion says:

But, says Microsoft and Boltman, Microsoft asked multiple times, users had the ability to indicate to Microsoft that they didn't want the upgrade, and they agreed to upgrade.

• roborat says:

And the user has to accept the upgrade and after that the EULA before he gets the upgrade.

How many ACCEPT buttons do you think is needer for someone to think that he is really sure about upgrading? 3, 5, 11?

And oh, let's not forget that you can roll back if you think 2 accepts was far to few for anyone to truly make up their mind.

• MyDisqussion says:

But, but, the rollback doesn't always work, and the user is forced to reload Windows 7. Don't forget that at some point, the user didn't even need to accept the EULA. They could come back from lunch to find out that they had been upgraded to Windows X.

Troll.

• trparky says:

I don't even know why "blocked user" even tries. I don't see his shit.

• MyDisqussion says:

I may have to consider that.

• roborat says:

LOL. Maybe one day if this guy manages to get some common sense, he will realise that the blocking only censors himself while the rest of us can continue with the conversation.
        Never mind that we can talk behind his back now - like this post. What a genius!
        (I'm sure he hasn't blocked me. he is reading this now and has two minds about responding. LOL!!!)

• pi may says:

blocking is fun, you give the assholes a good spay and then block.
        doesn't matter what they say, you will never see it and that's all they want anyway, dumbfuck Ordieth wastes hours typing comments I will never read and like I give a fuck what anonymous idiots on the internet think anyway. just blocked a couple assholes on thurrott today, I like it. would be nice if diqus would at least show that they are responding to someone whose blocked them.

• roborat says:

Well we still see what he typed and you end up looking like the one who lost the argument.
        This is a forum. If all you do is post and not bother to read responses then you missed the point. That's what you call a blog.

• pi may says:

yeah , when you don't give a fuck what it looks like and never have to see Orieth, Boltmann, ATL_VM BS , it's worth it.

• roborat says:

Actually it's a reflection on yourself more than anything. If you ask me, its actually a sign of weakness.
        That comments from other people bother you.
        That what people say somewhat affects you.
        That you're unsure of yourself.
        If you really don't give an F, then why are you blocking it?
        But that's just what I think.

• pi may says:

because they the true trolls like Boltman,Ordieth ,ALT_VM etc never ever have anything useful to say, I can live without MS propaganda and personal insults just fine, many accuse you of being a troll and ask that you be banned so your no exactly someone I'd take advise from.

• roborat says:

"many accuse you of being a troll " - yeah a handful do, usually when they have ran out of ideas. That's what happens when you're in the arena, as Obama recently said.

• Ordeith says:

I love seeing pi may get put in his place so often on thurrot. He blocks anyone he doesn't agree with but it only makes him look like more of a dumbass when he can't respond to criticism. But given that his responses are generally nothing but name calling and cussing while lacking any real content it's probably for the best. :)

• larry jones says:

"But, but, the rollback doesn't always work"

And how many have not worked? I am sure some have not. I have not seen that in the 20 or so that I have done.

For those people that clicked through the update notice without reading and the upgrade failed and they could not roll back then yeah they should be compensated.

It won't be many IMHO.

• Fantasm says:

I gave up trying the rollback because so many failed...
        It just was easier and faster to reinstall Win7

• MyDisqussion says:

Don't tell that troll Roborat.

• roborat says:

"the rollback doesn't always work...

This is a meaningless statement ignorant of the Windows ecosystem. Of course the roll back doesn't "always" work. The point is that it mostly works and if doesn't, support is provided. Expecting no issues on upgrades on a wide array of hardware and software configuration is unrealistic.

If this makes you angry and makes you lash on internet forums then maybe you need to look in the mirror and see if the names you throw at people actually fits you.

• Fantasm says:

"For crying out loud, are we really going to cuddle these people and protect them from taking responsibility for their lack of attention?"
        Yes, we do... Not all of those people are young tech minded people. I take care of several people's computers who are in their later years. They have to be protected. One of them is 90, she's very naïve and has limited experience when it comes to computers. She just expects it to work.
        But hey, glad to see you're in favour of throwing people like her under the bus...

• roborat says:

Is she the plaintiff in the case whining about how Windows "tricked" them into upgrading?
        No she's not. If she's 90 I bet she'd be one of those who'll accept their mistake, ask for help and then carry on unlike the people we're actually talking about here. But nice try.

• Fantasm says:

She's a lucky woman because I blocked her system going to W10...
        Most people that age may not have friends who can fix it... and end up paying to have it fixed...
        Still glad to see you still think it's ok to throw people in that situation under the bus... You're pathetic....

• roborat says:

I'm sure you're fictitious old lady will survive being thrown under your proverbial bus.
        What's pathetic is your argument tactic.
        If you click accept TWICE at the very least, then that means you ACCEPT the upgrade. The world will be in chaos if people do not take responsibility for their choices. It's as simple as that.

• Fantasm says:

Actually my "fictitious old lady" is my best friend from High Schools Mom.... but thanks for still being an ass....

"What's pathetic is your argument tactic"

You should talk... you're all about screwing over people who may or may not understand everything there is to know on computers. Assuming they know as much as you....

Aside from that, you're so full of BS you think everyone else is that talks to you... hence your childish "fictitious old lady will survive being thrown under your proverbial bus" remark....
        BTW... It's "your" not "you're"..... lol

11. pi may says:

come on people , stop feeding the mental troll boltman, block him, your giving him exactly what he wants, ignore him , block him

• Captain555 says:

Only 39 hours left to go before liberation day.

• pi may says:

can't wait to see how all the fantard try to explain to crash in Win adoption in Aug, probably something like "everyone just on summer vacation, just wait for the back to school rush", LOL , fucking idiots

• roborat says:

There are about ~300+ Million new W10 devices sold every year - PCs, tablets and 2in1s. That is close to ~1 Million a day which is what the monthly W10 adoption rate has been for the last few months.
        I wouldn't expect any drastic changes to that trend.

• pi may says:

Worldwide PC shipments totaled 60.6 million units in the first quarter of 2016 (1Q16), a year-on-year decline of 11.5%
        that a rate of 220 million per year and includes all pc's and macs
        and enterprise win7 machines.

so maybe 160 million Win10 pc's and 2-1s

then reduce that by another 10% and your at ~145 million/yr win10 PC that why they wisely back away from the 1 billion number,

just wait till the sept 1 and you will see.

• roborat says:

"Worldwide PC shipments" do not count tablets and 2in1's.

• Ordeith says:

At least he doesn't revert to a crude cussing and name calling tantrum when someone disagrees with him. You know, like pi may does.

12. Sal Colla says:

So, for the longest, I was able to prevent Micro$oft from installing that dreaded GWX.exe, by not installing Windows Update KB3035583 I even blocked it. BUT, here's the kicker. It kept showing back up and I would just block it again.

I thought I was safe and somehow, after getting what I thought were SAFE updates, another update installed the GWX.exe. Still never tracked THAT update down. So I tried rolling back the previous updates to find the culprit. Never did.

So, I leave my pc running 24/7 for my game server, anyways, I wake up the next morning and my computer has restarted and is sitting on a Windows 10 setup screen. No, I didn't TELL Micro$oft to install it. I also didn't click any "Accept" buttons and I damn straight didn't want Windows 10.

Rolling my system back, didn't work. I was forced to reinstall. So, before anyone says that Win10 can only be installed by accepting agreements and clicking Accept or next or wtfever, Don't say it. Because it's ludicrous!

Now, I have given up trying to stay on Win8.1. Micro$oft ALWAYS updates me without consent and I am STUCK on Win10!

S. Colla

Stuck on 10 in Cali

• Captain555 says:

Go back to W8.1, then seach in google for never10, run that and you'll be ok.

• Sal Colla says:

Already done that multiple times. But, Micro$oft keeps slipping it in.

• Captain555 says:

That's weird, usually never10 is doing the job.

• Sal Colla says:

Like I said in my main post, there's some other update that they have implemented that starts the process.

I've also noticed that at times, Win10 marks my externals as write protected. I have even made the adjustment through regedit to prevent that. But after an update, I have to go back in and change the policy again.

I truly am not enjoying anything from M$ anymore. There are also now going to make it impossible to disable Cortana in the anniversary edition of 10 on the 2nd of August.

• MyDisqussion says:

Microsoft handled this roll-out poorly. If they had made Windows X opt-in, they would have had a smaller conversion rate, but almost all of these complaints would vanish. We wouldn't be having this conversation.

The Windows X reservation should not have been activated until explicitly done so by the user. The upgrade should not have happened until explicitly done so by the user. They should not have turned PCs into torrent seeds.

They could have had a very successful roll-out if they just hadn't taken such a heavy-handed approach.

• Fantasm says:

Or Google "GWX control"...

• Captain555 says:

Indeed.

• MyDisqussion says:

You should never have had to fall into this situation. Microsoft often resets user choices after performing Windows Updates, like unhiding hidden updates. They couch turning your PC into a torrent seed because, well, you approved it. They use your metered bandwidth instead of its own bandwidth, and you can't disable it unless it's wifi, and even then they don't tell you about it. That's why GWX Control Panel and Never 10 even exist.

• Sal Colla says:

Since I can't seem to shake Win10, I have started using a little program from O&O, called ShutUp10. But, I am just fed up. I am not going to be like others and try and sue M$. I'd lose.

• MyDisqussion says:

If you can quantify your losses, you have a good chance of winning in small claims. And if Microsoft fails to appear, you automatically win the judgement against Microsoft.

ShutUp10 is a good piece of software. There is also a nice blocker from another anti-spyware company, but I'm blanking on the name.

• Captain555 says:

Go back to w8.1, then uninstall these update:
        KB2952664 KB2976978 KB2977759 KB3021917
        KB3022345 KB3035583 KB3068708 KB3075249
        KB3080149 KB3083324 KB3083710 KB3090045
        KB3112343 KB3133977 KB3146449 KB3150513

These are all the update that install GWX and the telemetry for Win 10. Saturday is liberation day so they will stop to try to push these update. If you don't have them, don't worry, some of these are for W7 only. Good luck.

• larry jones says:

Just run this...

It stops it dead once and for all.

• Captain555 says:

He said he tried, and it didn't stop it.

• Smarterthanyou says:

Metered Internet is rare. Most people don't rely on things like a cellular Internet connection. Landline Internet providers like Comcast, Verizon and Frontier to name a few don't have metered Internet.

• MyDisqussion says:

Comcast has caps in many regions, and plans to extend it over all of their network. Cox has caps, too.

That already blows your comment out of the water. Rare indeed.

• Smarterthanyou says:

Those caps are so high no normal person would ever reach them. Windows 10's feature that lets people use your computer to speed up update downloads would never put a person over their cap by itself.

• MyDisqussion says:

So, there are whole communities where I live that don't get high-speed Internet because they live on the wrong side of the street. Data caps which can be affected by Windows X torrenting aren't even close to being rare. Maybe in your neck of the woods everyone has cable Internet, but outside of major metropolitan areas, it's a different story.

One of the things that is taught when taking tests is that you can pretty much ignore any question that says All, Never, Every, and other extremes like that. Your stupid statements fall into that category.

• Smarterthanyou says:

There's always satellite Internet. Sure there are caps, but you get throttled instead of being charged overage.

• MyDisqussion says:

You fanboys just can't let it go.

• Sybil says:

Some are fanboys some are fanboy paid shills for Micro$oft.

• Fantasm says:

Now the free upgrade is over, you'll see a few of them disappear (Hmmm Odd choice of words but I'll leave it.... LOL)

• Sybil says:

They'll have to get honest work.

• yamdigger says:

Honest work is only for honest people. Not for the types that whore themselves for Micro$oft.

• Fantasm says:

You are such a dolt... Tell me son, how do you upload to satellite ?
        The fact is, satellite internet is about as fast as dial up...
        The usual way it's done is to download of a dish, and upload over a phone line....
        Change your alias you're really not made for that...

• Smarterthanyou says:

Of course satellite isn't the fastest, but it does support two way communication. Things have changed significantly since first generation satellite. Do your research before you comment. You do know that satellite Internet no longer requires dial up for uploads, right? You do know this means uploads no longer occur at dial up speeds, right? Finally, you do know satellite is the best alternative to dialup in areas that have no land based high speed Internet options don't you? Maybe you should provide a more educated response instead of making yourself sound like a moron.

• Fantasm says:

Well I went online to check it out...

Here in Canada, the cheapest is 1Mbps download 128k upload...250 megs (not Gigs) per 24 hours... $64.99 per month.
        up to
        500 Mbps download and 300k upload at 550 megs per 24 hours at $389.99 a month
        Your hard ware is sold separately.
        Plus a 75 dollar a year industry Canada licence...
        So that's a crappy slow speed, only slightly more than dial up speed for uploads... So maybe you should provide a more educated response instead of making yourself sound like a moron.
        Oh and finally.... the funniest bit... They don't support Windows 10

• Sybil says:

You have gotta change that moniker you are using because it just makes you seem even more ridiculous with every comment you make. I'm wondering if you are the new Micros$oft Troll? There are a few old ones that are so exposed here they have moved on but, obviously, they have been replaced.

• Ash says:

before i got unlimited data..i did reach my cap limit..and was charged for it

• Fantasm says:

Most of Canada doesn't even have internet... let alone metered internet...
        There was a small town that made the news recently, 120 gigs a month, for just over $1000 a month...
        Even in some of the big cities, 2 Gigs a month is one of the plans....

• Ash says:

Suddenlink has metered data unless you pay for 150 or more mbps of internet speed..then you are eligible for unlimited data, that you also pay extra for. they started this about a year ago..so yes...metered data is very common

• larry jones says:

This....

It was out a month after 10 came out. It uses the Microsoft registry settings that Enterprises use to stop the update notification. It does not install, just a single .exe you run. It also get's rid of Windows 10 files that have been downloaded in the background. Once applied you NEVER get the nag again.

Of course you wont get that starting Saturday either so I guess that tool for you is too late.

• Sal Colla says:

I already tried that Larry. It didn't work. So, M$ has already patched against it.

• larry jones says:

Hmm I have seen it used on both 8.x and 7 with great success. No worries the nagging will stop in tomorrow?

13. Tom says:

Looking forward to some class action against Microsoft.
    France has already told them, back off or you are in serious trouble.

• roborat says:

France told MS to either notify the W10 user if they're collecting app usage history for the purpose of advertising or just stop using the app usage history collected as part of telemetry for the purpose of advertising. MS has gone to talk with the French to reach an agreement, most likely a middle ground will be reached.
      Disappointed that it's not what you thought it was? Details does that most of the time.

14. Terrence Aloysius Mahoney says:

The 31 day roll back is a joke. I twice tried win 10 on the insider ring, hated it and tried to rollback within the 31 day limit. I had to wipe the drive to get rid of it. Both times.

• Smarterthanyou says:

That's the smartest way to do it. Create a system image of your PC before the upgrade. Then if you don't like Windows 10 you can wipe your hard disk and load the system image back. Takes only a few minutes.

• Lloyd Harrower says:

you can't do that when you aren't informed of the forced upgrade in advance. as anyone qualified to even discuss IT issues is well aware most users don't regularly backup their data or even know how to create a system image to restore from. also it costs thousands to pay someone to restore a system bricked by these forced 'upgrades'. ignoring real monetary damages from lost productive time.

15. Smarterthanyou says:

These people should be countersued for wasting Microsoft's time. These are all frivolous lawsuits. Nobody has lost a significant amount of money due to a Windows 10 upgrade.

• MyDisqussion says:

Irrelevant. You didn't say they lost no money. That makes them eligible for small claims. If Microsoft thinks it isn't worth their time, they can choose not to appear, and pay the judgement.

• Smarterthanyou says:

The judgement would cover the cost of any small claims court fees. The plaintiff wouldn't even make any money. The only thing the plaintiff lost is time and losing time doesn't cause them to lose money.

• MyDisqussion says:

If it covers the filing fee and then some, it's a win. Microsoft will be writing out another check.

• E Stoneback says:

your an idiot, As a former business owner, time is money, it could be lost sales do to computer systems being down to lost invoices. Besides they need to get knocked on they butt for violating the constitution, 4th amendment and general civil rights. NO one has the right to invade my home and STEAL private information and then do as they see fit with that info. I'd like to see they try that shit in person,

• Fantasm says:

You really should change your alias... It really doesn't suit you...

• Dave says:

I have billed over $10,000 repairing facilities operations and computers in the last 2 months. Another $10K is easily accountable in broken hardware (Dell One 2710s) and other hardware that either had to be abandoned, replaced or money spent rolling back machines for drivers. I'm afraid you're neither smarterthananyone or have field experience.

• Ash says:

no monetary losses?..i have a computer that is useless to me now. it was a touch screen windows 8.1 when i got it. the "forced upgrade" has locked it into a repair disk loop. It wont allow me to start it in safe mode, and wont allow me to do a restore. you cannot tell me, these lawsuits are frivolous.

• Lou Blazquez says:

It's only frivolous when someone else is bullied. Forcing one's corporate will or using trickery on people is not to be taken lightly. What if Microsoft installed Windows 3.0 on your computer without permission? I just lost tons of data and paid $160 on repairs because when I asked Windows 8.1 to shut down, it didn't. When I left the room, it began a series of updates and restarts which resulted in files and programs being corrupted. It will take weeks to get programs reinstalled, and the important work I did between backups is lost. I am considering taking Microsoft to small claims court for my $160 back, unless Smarterthanyou would like to reimburse this frivolous amount.

16. Sybil says:

There is also the crazy situation of the motherboard Win 10 will not support and yet the Windows 10 automatic install will still take that computer, with it's incorrect motherboard and still install Win 10 when you don't want it, didn't ask for it, did not agree to upgrade to it. I really think that Micro$oft is the perfect example of a Corporate entity that went insane. What strange new being is this? A Corporate entity with rights of a person and the ability to go insane.

17. pcdetails says:

The big problem is that Non-Microsoft programs - particularly older versions - get removed or become inoperable. Some when you upgrade to 10 and even more if you return to 7. Antivirus software must be re-installed, often requiring a new purchase. There are no drivers for many webcams, wifi, bluetooth, fingerprint readers, printers. Expensive, specialized equipment become useless when the programs are removed or incompatible.

• John Chhouk says:

Sorry for late reply but I agree and depending on what you have to use and I stress have to use there could a lengthy wait time between replacement and it usually it is also real costly. So it isn't like people is just run down to best buy to get a replacement just because ms says so. One of the general problems with a lot of what ms is doing is that a lot of their choices aren't based in the reality of the real world